Really nice looking cue, that is known to be a really cheap brand.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I would not call that "highly figured", buy it if you like it though

Some Excalibur cues are decals, some are inlays. Not terrible cues, fine to go hit balls around. I'll recommend a new tip and ferrule to help the playability.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know I am probably going to get laughed at, but this Excalibur cue looks to be a really nice looking, good quality cue.

Am I being foolish for thinking that?

The cue really reminds me of a nice looking Lucasi, for example, made with some very nice looking Birds Eye Maple.

Just really surprised that a cue this nice looking would be an Excalibur.

I always thought of Excalibur cues to be really cheap quality cues, but the inlays in this cue appear to be real, and you usually do not see highly figured Birds Eye Maple in a really cheap name brand cue.

Thanks for any thoughts about the cue, and if it were not for the brand name, would you think it looks like a good quality cue?

I think so.

First off, for a cue to have sharp point inlays there is either a tooling option to make the pockets accept that sharp point. Or time to hand clean up the pocket to accept that sharp point inlay. This is obviously not a tooling adjusted one, one would see the epoxy filled void left. And the price should indicate the lack of hand clean up for the inlays. So those are decals, no other choice left.

It looks like an ok cue. To those with knowledge on how cues are made, it’s nothing different than a plain cue. How it plays, who knows. Could be awesome, could be junk.

I would not call that "highly figured", buy it if you like it though

Some Excalibur cues are decals, some are inlays. Not terrible cues, fine to go hit balls around. I'll recommend a new tip and ferrule to help the playability.

Yeah, I understand, but the Birds Eye in my Mezz does not look any better then the BEM in that cue. Just surprising that it is an Excalibur.

Thanks.

First off, for a cue to have sharp point inlays there is either a tooling option to make the pockets accept that sharp point. Or time to hand clean up the pocket to accept that sharp point inlay. This is obviously not a tooling adjusted one, one would see the epoxy filled void left. And the price should indicate the lack of hand clean up for the inlays. So those are decals, no other choice left.

It looks like an ok cue. To those with knowledge on how cues are made, it’s nothing different than a plain cue. How it plays, who knows. Could be awesome, could be junk.

That is interesting. So, what about the cue in these pics ? Can see that the points are CNC, but the inlays are sharp . I do not see an epoxy filled void in the sharp inlays, so how do you think they were done?

I do not really understand most of the stuff you said though. Sometimes it seems hard to tell real inlays from fake overlays. When I see nicely figured BEM , then I automatically think the cue is nice quality.

Attachments

• IMG_20200606_132200346.jpg
    IMG_20200606_132200346.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 740
  • IMG_20200606_132246031.jpg
    IMG_20200606_132246031.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 733

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Better shafts tend to have tighter grain.
OTOH, Atlas has shipped me wood like that :rolleyes:

If the grain is straight or very nearly so from one end of the shaft to the other, it might not matter.

smt

Better shafts tend to have tighter grain.
OTOH, Atlas has shipped me wood like that :rolleyes:

If the grain is straight or very nearly so from one end of the shaft to the other, it might not matter.

smt

You make a good point. If the shaft is junk quality, then the quality of the butt is probably not much better.

The cheap custom cues from the Philippines comes to mind. Very nice looking butts, but the shafts have been junk, in my experience with several of them, from different makers.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can better cues at a pawn shop and you can roll them to make sure they are straight.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is interesting. So, what about the cue in these pics ? Can see that the points are CNC, but the inlays are sharp . I do not see an epoxy filled void in the sharp inlays, so how do you think they were done?

I do not really understand most of the stuff you said though. Sometimes it seems hard to tell real inlays from fake overlays. When I see nicely figured BEM , then I automatically think the cue is nice quality.

I could tell you exactly what the difference is, but look at them yourself. What is the key difference between the two in how their inlays are constructed.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Would that cue with reject shaft make you happy ?
A local maker can chop up a house cue and pair it with a decent shaft and it will hit a million times better than that.

Then again, we had this Justin guy who was not happy with any cue he got .

Would that cue with reject shaft make you happy ?
A local maker can chop up a house cue and pair it with a decent shaft and it will hit a million times better than that.

Then again, we had this Justin guy who was not happy with any cue he got .

I had a Scruggs sneaky for a short time, and that cue hit horrible, in my opinion. The guy who purchased it from me loved it though.

I have been very happy with many cues I have had over the years. Just was not able to hang on to them, for various reasons.

Last edited:
I could tell you exactly what the difference is, but look at them yourself. What is the key difference between the two in how their inlays are constructed.

I do not know.

I always wondered why Schon did their points Rounded off, but did many of their inlays really sharp. I am thinking, if they are able to do nice sharp inlays, then why not also make their points, and veneers sharp?

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The OLD Excalibur cues from the 1980s were very good cues for the money! They were mostly plain jane cues- no points, but their shafts were made of a very good quality maple. If you find a good one on ebay- just have someone switch out the brass center joint to a Juma joint and you can have a very good cue for about $80 total. I use one as a travel cue for airline trips and with a quality tip it plays just fine.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a Scruggs sneaky for a short time, and that cue hit horrible, in my opinion. The guy who purchased it from me loved it though.

I have been very happy with many cues I have had over the years. Just was not able to hang on to them, for various reasons.

I had a similar experience with a southwest cue, it hit like a 2x4. Sold it and and got a JW.
WOW, nice hitting cue. But everyone likes something different.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
best to buy a cue you can hit a few with. there are so many pool rooms with cues for sale. most will let you hit a couple balls with a cue if you say you will buy it if it hits good.
no chalking it though.

buying a cue by looks is like marrying a girl off the internet untried.

best to buy a cue you can hit a few with. there are so many pool rooms with cues for sale. most will let you hit a couple balls with a cue if you say you will buy it if it hits good.
no chalking it though.

buying a cue by looks is like marrying a girl off the internet untried.

The best thing about most cues though, is if you do not like the shaft, then you can just replace the shaft.

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
I stopped being a cue snob recently and gave less expensive cues a try. I was pleasantly surprised to find cues that were well made for around $100 new. Namely a Players decal cue and a Cuetec. The Players looks great and plays well. The Cuetec has the advantage of being warp and ding resistant. Don’t get me wrong, I still love my other cues, but the quality of cheaper cues now are just awesome. You just have to find the right ones.