Are House Pro's usually employed by the pool room?

I wonder if House Pro's are usually employed by a pool room.

I am not talking about pool cue repair people. I am talking about pool players.

House Pro's generally offer lessons, right? But that might not be the case with all House Pro's.

So, it just makes me wonder, because if they are top 10 players, of whatever game they are best at, and are well known, then I assume it is hard for them to find games, and when they do find games, they are usually not easy games, because they would either be giving up a big spot, are they would be going up against a player that is fairly equal to their speed.

So, how do they survive during times when they can't find any action, or during times when there might not be any players to give lessons to?

Does the room owner usually have a job for them, like bartending, or washing dishes in the back, to name a few examples?

I can't imagine the life of a Pro pool player is easy, no matter how good they are (unless their name is Josh Filler for example), so I just hope they have a way to make money during times when there is no action that comes through the door.

So, back to my original question. Are House Pro's usually employed, and get paid some type of Salary by the room owner, or are they usually on their own, when it comes to bringing in any kind of income?

I understand that it is none of my (or anyone's) business, so I do not want to ask about any particular House Pro's out there. Just curious as a "in most cases" type of question.

I am very curious for those in the know, so please do not assume, unless you know, and please do not name any names. I respect their privacy, and understand that that type of thing is really not any of my business.

I just hope the House Pro's out there do have a way to earn a living, even if they were to rarely be able to get in any action.

judochoke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i see mika the iceman all over the world at fancy hotels, and haveing a great time. plus he lives in new york i think. how does he pay for all of these trips and living in manhatten?? i have often wondered about that????

i see mika the iceman all over the world at fancy hotels, and haveing a great time. plus he lives in new york i think. how does he pay for all of these trips and living in manhatten?? i have often wondered about that????

Off topic, but here is something interesting, that shows the players career earnings to date.

https://www.azbilliards.com/people/azb-money-leaderboard/all-time/men/

I see that Mika has earned over 1.5 Million dollars during his entire career, and this does not include any money that he may have made on the side, gambling, or good investments.

Maybe he has been really smart with his money over the years.

I think he plays for Mezz cues. Maybe they cover some of his expenses.

Edit: That list could not be accurate, could it? It says that Earl Strickland has only made $778,000 in his career. I guess they are not counting the Million dollars (actually $400,000 lump sum) that he collected for breaking and running out 11 racks of 9 ball, in the Million dollar challenge. It also says that Mike Sigel has only made around $318,000. I thought that he has won more Pro tournaments then any other Pro player ever.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder if House Pro's are usually employed by a pool room.

I am not talking about pool cue repair people. I am talking about pool players.

House Pro's generally offer lessons, right? But that might not be the case with all House Pro's.

So, it just makes me wonder, because if they are top 10 players, of whatever game they are best at, and are well known, then I assume it is hard for them to find games, and when they do find games, they are usually not easy games, because they would either be giving up a big spot, are they would be going up against a player that is fairly equal to their speed.

So, how do they survive during times when they can't find any action, or during times when there might not be any players to give lessons to?

Does the room owner usually have a job for them, like bartending, or washing dishes in the back, to name a few examples?

I can't imagine the life of a Pro pool player is easy, no matter how good they are (unless their name is Josh Filler for example), so I just hope they have a way to make money during times when there is no action that comes through the door.

So, back to my original question. Are House Pro's usually employed, and get paid some type of Salary by the room owner, or are they usually on their own, when it comes to bringing in any kind of income?

I understand that it is none of my (or anyone's) business, so I do not want to ask about any particular House Pro's out there. Just curious as a "in most cases" type of question.

I am very curious for those in the know, so please do not assume, unless you know, and please do not name any names. I respect their privacy, and understand that that type of thing is really not any of my business.

I just hope the House Pro's out there do have a way to earn a living, even if they were to rarely be able to get in any action.
No real answer to this because every room/situation is different. I know some that got paid and worked a regular shift and others that just got free pool and money for lessons.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Judd Trump made as much winning one Snooker tournament last year than Strickland made in a lifetime.

In contrast, there is no money in American Pool. Not at the pro level, equipment level, pool hall level. What would a pool hall pay a pro with?

I’ve played billiards for decades. The pro side reminds me of those sad Car salesmen who return to their dingy apartments at the end of a day after giving off the impression they are ‘doing great’. Maybe make $50 profit selling the latest and greatest pool cue with the magic tip. They tell stories about all the cash they won hustling in the old days...98% Bull S..t stories. Everyone knew somebody who knew somebody that said...

Last resort. Push those videos. Somehow they are better than the 20 thousand free lessons on
YouTube...added secrets and tips.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mika's true source of money is a a generations old recipe for muffins he has gotten very rich leasing the recipe to major food suppliers across the world the best seller is the blueberry but corn is also big especially in northern africa and he can also build a really mean race motor and has patented many innovative shoe insole designs plus a really neat spigot adapther for home use he is a major importer of coffee beans and 100% natural soaps.

Off topic, but here is something interesting, that shows the players career earnings to date.

https://www.azbilliards.com/people/azb-money-leaderboard/all-time/men/

I see that Mika has earned over 1.5 Million dollars during his entire career, and this does not include any money that he may have made on the side, gambling, or good investments.

Maybe he has been really smart with his money over the years.

I think he plays for Mezz cues. Maybe they cover some of his expenses.

Edit: That list could not be accurate, could it? It says that Earl Strickland has only made $778,000 in his career. I guess they are not counting the Million dollars (actually $400,000 lump sum) that he collected for breaking and running out 11 racks of 9 ball, in the Million dollar challenge. It also says that Mike Sigel has only made around $318,000. I thought that he has won more Pro tournaments then any other Pro player ever.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Mika's family has a popular clothing store in Finland of which he is part owner. He is 50% partner in Mezz USA. That's about all i have an idea on-Could be old info by now.

House pros are usually given free time and can keep any lesson money they can make. When Earl was at Steinway, he got an apartment and free food also but ES and Queens are very different situations than most House Pros are in.

PS- I have known more than one HP who were barely C Players if that.

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve had a pool room for 24 years but as we are in a very small market located in the middle of nowhere, 2 hours from the nearest city/major airport we have never had a house pro, but I’ve always been intrigued by the concept. If we ever did have an opportunity to host a pro player, male or female, that had name recognition in the pool world as a current or past top 50 player, they would have free pool when practicing - even when they are matching up and gambling, although their opponent would be on the clock. They would be permitted to give lessons and keep 100% of the fee and the person taking the lesson wouldn’t be charged pool time during the lesson if they were a regular customer here. We would not under any circumstances expect or require them to work here, as we have employees for that.

They likely might also be comped their food and beverage if they didn’t abuse it (we are a no alcohol establishment). If they needed a place to stay for themself, were a non-smoker, didn’t have a drinking problem, and didn’t entertain company, I might offer them, at no charge, a private entrance bedroom / bath at our home located next door to the pool room - as long as it worked out and we had no issues with them. We would not be helping to pay any of their entry fees or travel expenses to any tournaments they choose to go play in, as we simply could not afford to.

We do have 2 pool tables here that would be absolutely great practice tables for a pro level player - a 10 foot pool table with 4-1/4 inch pockets and a 9 foot table with 4-inch pockets. My hope would be that whatever $ costs incurred by having them here would be more than made up by the positive PR and increased play and subsequent food and beverage purchases among our regular players, as well as out-of-town players coming here as a result.

I would have 2 stipulations - I would get the privilege of being able to play cheap $ sets against them regularly, in hopes that it might benefit my game! We would likely need to make it clear to everyone else here not to bug the pro to play with them, unless they were willing to play for a minimum $ amount per set, which would basically amount to taking a lesson. My 2nd stipulation is that if the pro is around for our weekly Monday night handicapped 9-ball tournament, they would play in it, handicapped appropriately. Our tournament regulars would appreciate and benefit from the occasional opportunity to play a match against this player. Maybe one day, the opportunity might come along for us to have someone, it would be an experience.

onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The smart players like Efren, Mika, Shane, and some others have invested their money wisely and make money on things other than pool. I know Efren and Shane own property and rental properties. Not sure about Mika. I'm sure there re more than these 3, but if you want to travel around the world and play pool, it takes a lot more than a cue, and pool room sponsor.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
its whatever deal you can work out with the owner. you being able to convince him that what he spends on you as a pro will bring in more for the pool room. if you cant do that why use you.

most give free pool and let the pro keep all the lesson money. why give more than that for a person just to sit around and do nothing.

most pool room customers at least the ones spending the money, dont know much about any of the pros or really care.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mika's true source of money is a a generations old recipe for muffins he has gotten very rich leasing the recipe to major food suppliers across the world the best seller is the blueberry but corn is also big especially in northern africa and he can also build a really mean race motor and has patented many innovative shoe insole designs plus a really neat spigot adapther for home use he is a major importer of coffee beans and 100% natural soaps.

Mailbox money is some of the best money.

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mailbox money is some of the best money.

Ray Wylie Hubbard tells the story about mailbox money when someone requests “Up Against the Wall, Redneck Mother” at one of his shows. Great storyteller.

Lol, you had me believing your story for a few seconds there, while reading it, but you just went way overboard. You surely just made all that up. Sounds really cool though.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Lol, you had me believing your story for a few seconds there, while reading it, but you just went way overboard. You surely just made all that up. Sounds really cool though.

I would just call it what it is total fasbrication, not a lick of truth. Maybe the guy should take up writing fiction, understand great writter make great money do that.

I’ve had a pool room for 24 years but as we are in a very small market located in the middle of nowhere, 2 hours from the nearest city/major airport we have never had a house pro, but I’ve always been intrigued by the concept. If we ever did have an opportunity to host a pro player, male or female, that had name recognition in the pool world as a current or past top 50 player, they would have free pool when practicing - even when they are matching up and gambling, although their opponent would be on the clock. They would be permitted to give lessons and keep 100% of the fee and the person taking the lesson wouldn’t be charged pool time during the lesson if they were a regular customer here. We would not under any circumstances expect or require them to work here, as we have employees for that.

They likely might also be comped their food and beverage if they didn’t abuse it (we are a no alcohol establishment). If they needed a place to stay for themself, were a non-smoker, didn’t have a drinking problem, and didn’t entertain company, I might offer them, at no charge, a private entrance bedroom / bath at our home located next door to the pool room - as long as it worked out and we had no issues with them. We would not be helping to pay any of their entry fees or travel expenses to any tournaments they choose to go play in, as we simply could not afford to.

We do have 2 pool tables here that would be absolutely great practice tables for a pro level player - a 10 foot pool table with 4-1/4 inch pockets and a 9 foot table with 4-inch pockets. My hope would be that whatever $ costs incurred by having them here would be more than made up by the positive PR and increased play and subsequent food and beverage purchases among our regular players, as well as out-of-town players coming here as a result.

I would have 2 stipulations - I would get the privilege of being able to play cheap $ sets against them regularly, in hopes that it might benefit my game! We would likely need to make it clear to everyone else here not to bug the pro to play with them, unless they were willing to play for a minimum $ amount per set, which would basically amount to taking a lesson. My 2nd stipulation is that if the pro is around for our weekly Monday night handicapped 9-ball tournament, they would play in it, handicapped appropriately. Our tournament regulars would appreciate and benefit from the occasional opportunity to play a match against this player. Maybe one day, the opportunity might come along for us to have someone, it would be an experience.

That for the interesting post. That all sounds great, and I imagine they might need to take you up on your offer on the free studio apartment, unless already had a lot of savings, and were able to afford their own place, and earn enough off of giving lessons and money games to pay rent and other expenses. I just imagine it would be really hard, unless they were more like a well known top 10 player from the past, and maybe even been in the top 5 in the past.

Anyways, the free room and board thing seems like that might be all a well known Pro, or former Pro might need. A backer too, for any big action money games that might come through too. They would need to be really smart about matching up too, which most Pros are anyways.

jayburger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have known several “house pros” over the years and a couple now....they TYPICALLY get around 250 cash a week,and free time of course,lesson money is 100 percent theirs and they USUALLY play anyone cheap races(to 5 in 9/10 ball and maybe 3 in 1 pocket) for 25-50 a set,and these sets are usually for the benefit of the regular learning while donating the 25-50 bucks....of course IF they win they get the 25-50,but i don,t even think i,ve seen one win once...but lets just say,hmmm tony chohanfor example, is a house pro and you can play him for 25 bucks in a race to 3:eek:ne pocket,is it not worth that AND then some to watch and learn from a player like tony for 25-50 dollars....usually these house pros don,t run out on you,they play 2 or 3 and stop and talk you through what they would do in situations....they are good for business as they bring in peolple who like to watch the very best at their trade craft. Again these numbers are pretty accurate but maybe not the EXACT agreement between owner/house pro...sometimes they don,t get the”salary” just free time and fountain drinks,always get 100 percent lesson money,and i,ve never seen one who didn,t have a standard offer of playing cheap 20-50 dollar sets so you can LEARN....alot of people prefer saying they PLAYED a champion cheap than to say they payed for a lesson,which is exactly what they are doing...and its. A good investment for both people...

its whatever deal you can work out with the owner. you being able to convince him that what he spends on you as a pro will bring in more for the pool room. if you cant do that why use you.

most give free pool and let the pro keep all the lesson money. why give more than that for a person just to sit around and do nothing.

most pool room customers at least the ones spending the money, dont know much about any of the pros or really care.

The league players, which I assume would support the pool room the most would probably know the Pro though, if the Pro was a well known player in the pool world. Seems to me that would bring more interest to that particular pool hall, and get the pool room more business. Like another pool room owner said though, it would need to be a well known player.

I understand that not just any average player off the street can get a good deal on being a House Pro, or any kind of deal at all.

I just thought that maybe in same cases, like if the player was just a very strong Short Stop for example, then they might name him the House Pro, because he is the best player around, but he might also work for the pool room, bartending, or washing dishes, or something, as some side income.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Mika's family has a popular clothing store in Finland of which he is part owner. He is 50% partner in Mezz USA. That's about all i have an idea on-Could be old info by now.

House pros are usually given free time and can keep any lesson money they can make. When Earl was at Steinway, he got an apartment and free food also but ES and Queens are very different situations than most House Pros are in.

PS- I have known more than one HP who were barely C Players if that.
What about the muffins? I wanna hear more about the muffins!

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would just call it what it is total fasbrication, not a lick of truth. Maybe the guy should take up writing fiction, understand great writter make great money do that.

Do you talk like you write? If so maybe a comedy album could be in the works, “make great money do that”, might be a working title.

Last edited:

stevelomako

Things could be worse
Silver Member
A job!

They ain’t looking for no stinking job.

That’s why they’re pool players in the first place...to avoid a job.

Jeez

And this is not a sarcastic post.

In general they’ll suck the blood from whatever pool room owner or stakehorse they can for as long as they can then move on to another host. Yep