Critique my shooting

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll take the good, bad, or ugly. I'm aware of what this could bring :D

A little info on the match.

EDIT: I'm the lefty from the US playing on the diamond.

It's an APA match between our division and a Canadian division from Quebec. I was randomly selected as the top tier player. There was a low tier with two players and a mid tier with two players. Our lower tier players lost but I believe the matches were pretty close, the mid tier players also lost but it wasn't pretty for our guys.

Clearly, it's a virtual match but not just a ghost race. Essentially, the person that won the coin toss is what I would call the "active" player. I won the toss so my break was the active break but the other guy has to break also, after both breaks the -non-active breaker pulls or drops balls (placed in specific spots on the table) so his table matched mine - as far as number of balls on the table. It's a bit convoluted but it was fun.

On the screen the active player should be on the big screen on the left, the non-active player is in the top right corner, the middle right corner is our League Operator and the bottom right corner is the Canadian League Operator. They were more than generous and courteous through the whole thing and are just good people.

A couple of notes:
You'll see I change break locations. I generally prefer to break from the original spot if it's working and if not, I'll move over to the side rail and go for the wing ball. I was watching the previous match and the guy was breaking from my preferred spot and was making balls so that's where I started, eventually I just didn't like the results so switched to the side rail, which seemed to work out.

Watching myself on video it looks like I'm all scrunched up but it doesn't feel that way. I know have a compact stroke these days but I'm wondering if I should stretch out a bit more at times? Thoughts?

Given the type of match that was played there was no reason to play safe. There were two shots (both 3 balls) that I would've generally played safe on but again, it didn't do me any good. You'll see my opponent play a couple of balls kind of funny, he knew I was hooked on whatever ball so he was trying to hit his ball and setup for a shot knowing I wasn't going to be able to hit my ball. I don't think that really worked out for him though. I thought long and hard about that prior to the match and I just decided to play the table and see what happens. It was kind of like a ring game where safes don't really help.

There are a couple of shots I would like back. I missed a 3 early on, I miscued on a 7 in the bottom left corner (should've went top left), I scratched on a 4 ball (hit it thin so the rebound was off and it went in the side - I actually screwed up the 3 ball before that or I would've had a better leave), and I let CB go (and paid the price) on a break.

Begin with the lashings...:thumbup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt463TeiiXw

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So based on the rules, if you made a ball on the break then 3 more after the break and missed, the other guy also had to remove 4 balls before he started shooting or only after the break shot? Not sure what the thinking was there for that rule. Did the other player get to pick what balls to remove? I'd love that playing 8 ball LOL. Other guy made 2 on the break, I get to remove 2 balls that are in my way on my table.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So based on the rules, if you made a ball on the break then 3 more after the break and missed, the other guy also had to remove 4 balls before he started shooting or only after the break shot? Not sure what the thinking was there for that rule. Did the other player get to pick what balls to remove? I'd love that playing 8 ball LOL. Other guy made 2 on the break, I get to remove 2 balls that are in my way on my table.

Basically the tables have to match ball for ball. If I’m the active breaker and break and make the 4 and 6 the other guy has to pull the 4 and 6 from the table and then place any ball’s he’s made back to specific spots on the table, head spot, foot spot, etc. then if I make the 1 and 2 and miss the three he pulls the 1 and 2 and shoots the three - wherever it is on the table. It really was kind of fun.

bb9ball

Registered
FIrst, nice shooting overall.

Since, no one else has given you any input.

One shot I noted, was when you got ball in hand at 15:00. I would recommend taking a second and looking at the line for the 4 ball from the other side of the table. From this Ralph Eckert video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLxn7sHBRY0&t=305 (time:5:05), look at how much a ball width difference(per diamond) from straight in changes the path of the cue ball.

As to whether you are "scrunched up" or not, it looked like your head moved a bit on some of the misses, It may be because part of your body is in the way. I would recommend staying down and watching the cue ball hit the object ball to try to determine if you are having to move because your body is in the way.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I haven't watched the whole thing but a quick critique... Your bridge hand seems to be "flimsy" on some shots, (15:42 for example). That could just be a video quality illusion though.

You're a "squatter" (both legs bent) so it gives the appearance of scrunched up.

The back swing pre-shot is fast and jerky... I'd try slowing that down a bit and for an experiment or a means to the "slow it down" end, try introducing a tiny pause before delivering the shot. I have tried to work a more pronounced pause into my shot routine, and it honestly does seem to help.

Lastly your backhand grip... Hard to tell, but are you fully gripping the cue..?..., (all fingers holding). The cue appears to stroke level during the warm ups so if your are then you pivoting at the wrist really well. Most that strangle the cue tend to have at least a little bit of a wavy stroke on the vertical. One thing I also noticed is that you seem to be always gripping the butt of the cue in the same spot for every shot. Well at least most of the ones that I could see your grip hand. This means everything else is adjusting to accommodate the grip, (grip hand forearm / stance / bridge hand). IMO the grip hand should shift location to allow the consistent mechanics of the rest of the important aspects. This is why I can't stand the idea of grips on cues. It's subconsciously positioning your grip hand on the cue.

Anyways, well played....

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Three are thre way of hitting a Cue Ball, too hard, too soft, and perfect. Perfect require practice, and no one is perfect 100% of the time.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm guessing you are a guy who plays once or twice a week while holding down a full time job.

There is room for improvement but you are a good player.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like rum too much to play under these rules.

I did not want to make fun of the APA, but I was thinking those are the type of rules the APA would have though of LOL

And for the OP, would help if you list who is who in the video since it seems everyone had to guess which one was you.

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
I think you should change your stance. All that crouching will take a toll on you over the years and lead to inconsistency and lack of stamina when you get older. Wish I would have done so many years ago.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FIrst, nice shooting overall.

Since, no one else has given you any input.

One shot I noted, was when you got ball in hand at 15:00. I would recommend taking a second and looking at the line for the 4 ball from the other side of the table. From this Ralph Eckert video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLxn7sHBRY0&t=305 (time:5:05), look at how much a ball width difference(per diamond) from straight in changes the path of the cue ball.

As to whether you are "scrunched up" or not, it looked like your head moved a bit on some of the misses, It may be because part of your body is in the way. I would recommend staying down and watching the cue ball hit the object ball to try to determine if you are having to move because your body is in the way.

Thanks and yeah, I probably should've looked at that. Not sure why I didn't, I have been trying to use more follow so that might have played into the decision.

As far as the body goes, I recently noticed I've had a compact stroke and I think it's because I had shoulder surgery a few years ago and when I got back into pool that's just the way the shoulder worked? Not real sure. I mess with rotating my body once in a while but it seems I always just revert back to this stance? I guess I'll have to focus more on that.

I haven't watched the whole thing but a quick critique... Your bridge hand seems to be "flimsy" on some shots, (15:42 for example). That could just be a video quality illusion though.

You're a "squatter" (both legs bent) so it gives the appearance of scrunched up.

The back swing pre-shot is fast and jerky... I'd try slowing that down a bit and for an experiment or a means to the "slow it down" end, try introducing a tiny pause before delivering the shot. I have tried to work a more pronounced pause into my shot routine, and it honestly does seem to help.

Lastly your backhand grip... Hard to tell, but are you fully gripping the cue..?..., (all fingers holding). The cue appears to stroke level during the warm ups so if your are then you pivoting at the wrist really well. Most that strangle the cue tend to have at least a little bit of a wavy stroke on the vertical. One thing I also noticed is that you seem to be always gripping the butt of the cue in the same spot for every shot. Well at least most of the ones that I could see your grip hand. This means everything else is adjusting to accommodate the grip, (grip hand forearm / stance / bridge hand). IMO the grip hand should shift location to allow the consistent mechanics of the rest of the important aspects. This is why I can't stand the idea of grips on cues. It's subconsciously positioning your grip hand on the cue.

Anyways, well played....

Re: bridge: Interesting, I will have to keep an eye on that. I wonder if it's the open bridge and hitting low on the CB, as I drop my hand I lose stability somewhere? Thanks.

Re: squatter - yep, seems to work. I do notice some instability at times because my legs are too inline but I have been working on that.

Re: back swing - I will definitely try slowing it down but I have tried adding a pause and it simply doesn't work for me, screws up all my timing. I have been trying to put together a more focused pre-shot routine, I'll have to figure out if/how/when to get the back swing to slow down.

You hit everything so hard.

Funny, I've had people tell me I hit to soft sometimes. Not sure why I was hitting them hard, I did start out just trying to have fun so I may have been playing a little fast and loose.

Are you the right handed player or the left handed player?

I am the lefty, I broke first and made the 2-9 combo.

Three are thre way of hitting a Cue Ball, too hard, too soft, and perfect. Perfect require practice, and no one is perfect 100% of the time.

Agreed, and there are a million variations that make perfect on one table too hard or too soft on another. The bar we currently play league out of has ridiculously fast tables, a fly flapping its wings might make the CB roll another foot.

I'm guessing you are a guy who plays once or twice a week while holding down a full time job.

There is room for improvement but you are a good player.

Thanks. I played pool from mid 80's through 2004. First half was spent mostly at the pool hall 4-6 nights a week, second half was mainly just once a week league and a couple of nights other than that. Quit in '04 (no league, no tournaments, and rarely a game in a bar) and got back into it in July of '18. Put a table in my living room, played league 3-4 nights a week and ran drills and worked my ass off for the first year and became a 7 and 9 in APA with a Fargo of 610'sh (only 236 games?). Since then it's been league 2, sometimes 3, nights a week and league tournaments with the occasional cash tourney. My play has dropped a little in the last year but I'm good with it. I can do most things I need to do and once in a while I am able to pull off a good one. That being said, I do want to start hitting more tournaments so am looking for a little more consistency, that's why I posted this :D

I like rum too much to play under these rules.

LOL, Captain Morgan may have been at my tableside :)

I did not want to make fun of the APA, but I was thinking those are the type of rules the APA would have though of LOL

And for the OP, would help if you list who is who in the video since it seems everyone had to guess which one was you.

LOL, I thought it was wierd too vs a straight ghost race but it was interesting and fun. Honestly, it helped with learning to just how to play the table.

And I will go back and edit the first post by I am the lefty from the USA...:thumbup:

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you should change your stance. All that crouching will take a toll on you over the years and lead to inconsistency and lack of stamina when you get older. Wish I would have done so many years ago.

Not sure you could teach this old dog a new trick like that?

Do you move your feet when you stroke for the break?

I do, I step into it with my right foot. Probably not the best way to do it.

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
Not sure you could teach this old dog a new trick like that?

It's really not that difficult. Just do it. Take a look at Marc Wilson's stance that he teaches and then just do it.

What's difficult is crouching like that for hours on end when you're 55 plus years old.