help on buying my first table

Flguti

Registered
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I came here to ask for some directions and opinions if I can have any insights I truly appreciate

I'm searching for my first table, I play pool and snooker for a long time, but I'm only a casual player.

So, what I'm looking for is for a good pool (wife is trying to learn and says snooker pockets are too small, oh well), something that would last few years without me regretting not buying something better.

Right now, I have a few options:

all 9 feet
Dufferin Challenger CAD 1800
Canada Billiard BLACK CROWN CAD 1800
Brunswick Gold Crown 1 CAD 1500
Brunswick Gold Crown 3 CAD 2500

All of them in good shape; the GC3 is in excellent condition other than their felt; all of them will need felt replacement.

Anyway, can anyone give me some thoughts to help me decide?

Thank you very much.

FL

PS, if I post in the wrong place, please move or delete it.

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Out of those listed options I would go for the GCI. The GCIII has sagging issues at the ends of the table.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I would vote for the GC1 as well. It is a tried and true design made for commercial use back when company's reputations and product quality mattered.

In addition to myself, there are a lot of proud GC1 owners here on az who I'm sure would agree with me that if you get a good one and set it up properly it can be a great source of enjoyment for a lifetime.

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I came here to ask for some directions and opinions if I can have any insights I truly appreciate

I'm searching for my first table, I play pool and snooker for a long time, but I'm only a casual player.

So, what I'm looking for is for a good pool (wife is trying to learn and says snooker pockets are too small, oh well), something that would last few years without me regretting not buying something better.

all 9 feet

All of them in good shape; the GC3 is in excellent condition other than their felt; all of them will need felt replacement.

Thank you very much.

FL

If for some reason you can collect a table from the US, I have a nice GC1 for 999 USD that I'm about to list for sale. Classic tables with solid rails

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ladies and Gentlemen,

all 9 feet

Thank you very much.

FL

Get one of the Gold Crowns.

You can beautifully restore a Gold Crown 1. They are built to last forever. Basic stripping sanding and painting, they look great in black enamel.

Get new runner put on it and get someone good who can build out the pockets properly to get the dimensions you want. Diamonize it to 4.5 inch pro cut and it will play fantastic.

If you look you can get a nice Gold Crown 1 for 1000 or less. So for under 2k you can have a gem of a table.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just read all the above replies... All say get the gold crown 1. I restored 1for my home and 9 for my pool hall. They are old school, union built tables. The gold crown 3s are imported crap, worst if all the series.

If 1500 Canadian equates to 1000 american get the GC1 and a good mechanic. One the pool players abd room owners reccomend... Not the pool and patio guys who install furniture grade tables for the housewives.

Flguti

Registered
Thank you all, thank you very much, I think my question was quite nonsense since everybody answered the same, lol

I'll close the deal and search for a good mechanical in my area.

Really great answers.

Thanks again

FL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flguti

Registered
Ok, I think I know the answer but just got an opportunity to get a olhausen Montrachet 8 feet that looks like new. Would anyone do for it instead of the CG1?

Thanks once again.

FL

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry, anyone go for the Olhausen instead of the CG1, I meant.

In one word NO! If anyone is purchasing a table that they want to last and have one of the best tables available then a GC is the choice. Diamond would be another choice but that’s not on the list and I would still prefer the GC.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here is what that model of Olhausen looks like:

CropperCapture[53].jpg

I think that no one who advised a GC1 is going to switch. But you probably have your own criteria for choosing a table some of which were discussed in the thread about the Brunswick 175th anniversary table. If you really need to have a furniture-style table, the Brunswick won't do. If you plan to play in tournaments, you may want to match the most common table there.

Flguti

Registered
In one word NO! If anyone is purchasing a table that they want to last and have one of the best tables available then a GC is the choice. Diamond would be another choice but that’s not on the list and I would still prefer the GC.

Lol, I thought so.

Diamonds are quite rare here; it's been a while (about 1, 2 months I'd say) that I'm hunting, haven't seen any...

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Sorry, anyone go for the Olhausen instead of the CG1, I meant.

Olhausen tables play okay generally but they have Gaffey Pockets you don't want to settle for an olhausen when you can have a gold crown 1

SpiderWeb

iisgone@yahoo.com
Silver Member
The challenger plays good and sturdy. The eh GC tables dont play as good as brunswick GC tables. GC1.

lawlist

Registered
I vote for the: "Brunswick Gold Crown 3 CAD 2500"

I have a Gold Crown 6 at home, but if I would not have been able to get the 6, I would have gotten an older version. I don't know what version the lazy-susan leveling feet came into being, but being able to adjust that myself is a really nice feature on the GC 6.

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have a Gold Crown 6 at home, but if I would not have been able to get the 6, I would have gotten an older version. I don't know what version the lazy-susan leveling feet came into being, but being able to adjust that myself is a really nice feature on the GC 6.

I believe the leveling system started with the 4.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
For the GC3, my experience around here in five rooms that installed them is that the rubber is no good. Perhaps it has already been changed. I don't know about the time scale, since that was 25 years ago that I started seeing the failures, but the rubber became a lot like pottery. Really. it was quite remarkable. A few rail sections at a time in any one room.