Cloth cleaning questions

NYCnoob99

Registered
1) Can anyone recommend a handheld vacuum that won't pull cloth? So much info in previous threads that my head is spinning. I don't want a Shop Vac, I want something small. Links appreciated.

2) Can I use a Simonis X1 on ProLine ProForm worsted wool cloth? I know Simonis says to just use with Simonis cloth, but I figure it is similar enough. Thoughts?

3) Do I need a brush if I am using Simonis X1 or is that redundant?

Thank you.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The power of a vacuum cleaner is largely irrelevant if you have the proper brush attachment, since it does not get close enough to suction/pull the cloth. The bristles merely loosen the debris, thus allowing the vacuum to collect it. Any household or shop canister vacuum will double for pool table cleaning.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
If cloth is properly pulled when installed, then most vac's are not able to lift. I use an Oreck.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
instead of a using the vacuum to suck have you ever used it to blow debris off.

I am afraid of stretching the cloth I refuse to vacuum it

after a few years and seeing the cloth thin out by the rails.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
instead of a using the vacuum to suck have you ever used it to blow debris off.

I am afraid of stretching the cloth I refuse to vacuum it

after a few years and seeing the cloth thin out by the rails.
If you want clean, consistent equipment to play on, your approach is totally wrong, in my opinion. At Carom Cafe, the premiere room for three cushion in the US, they vacuum the tables with a monster vac after each match during a tournament. Good players prefer clean equipment.

You need to pull the chalk dust out of the cloth.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
If you want clean, consistent equipment to play on, your approach is totally wrong, in my opinion. At Carom Cafe, the premiere room for three cushion in the US, they vacuum the tables with a monster vac after each match during a tournament. Good players prefer clean equipment.

you are right

i always approach the cloth like the same fabric from clothes, it made me nervous about pulling a thread.

But now that I think of it the pool cloth never really gets undone, it stays on the table just like the first day it was installed.

great design in a pool table

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know this will be met with opposition but here is my process for cleaning a table.

1-Brush table down with a horse hair brush or equivalent. I brush into the pockets and use a crevice brush on the inside of the rails.

2-I use a hot hand towel. Micro fiber type. I drench the towel in hot water and ring it out. By the time the the towel hits the table it’s still pretty warm but not steaming hot. I then wipe down the entire table. Rails, cushions, facings and bed. Never letting the towel sit in any one place. I am getting the loose chalk off the table and working out the wear/burn marks along with and ball polish that ends up accumulating. Generally you see this on the break marks and also in the corners and facings. Shows up as yellowish and I work that out of the cloth. I also clean the pocket liners since dust collects there and is also there from the brush down.

3-I use a dirt devil. See picture. I vacuum the bed and the tops of the rails. I start at the foot and go head. You don’t have to go any particular direction on worsted cloth but I do it regardless.

4-I then pledge the rails by applying pledge to the rag and wiping them down and polishing.

5-I polish the balls.

When using this process the table will play fast and slick for the first few dozen racks. I happen to like the way it plays after a few racks. Plays like perfectly new. I wish pool halls used this process.

IMG_1711.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A small shop vac (I use a 2.5 gallon / 2.5 HP) would still be my recommendation. Very easy to hold the canister in one hand while holding the firm hose extension with the proper 6-inch brush attachment and vacuuming / brushing the cloth in the other hand.

Last edited:

Island Drive

Silver Member
I know this will be met with opposition but here is my process for cleaning a table.

1-Brush table down with a horse hair brush or equivalent. I brush into the pockets and use a crevice brush on the inside of the rails.

2-I use a hot hand towel. Micro fiber type. I drench the towel in hot water and ring it out. By the time the the towel hits the table it’s still pretty warm but not steaming hot. I then wipe down the entire table. Rails, cushions, facings and bed. Never letting the towel sit in any one place. I am getting the loose chalk off the table and working out the wear/burn marks along with and ball polish that ends up accumulating. Generally you see this on the break marks and also in the corners and facings. Shows up as yellowish and I work that out of the cloth. I also clean the pocket liners since dust collects there and is also there from the brush down.

3-I use a dirt devil. See picture. I vacuum the bed and the tops of the rails. I start at the foot and go head. You don’t have to go any particular direction on worsted cloth but I do it regardless.

4-I then pledge the rails by applying pledge to the rag and wiping them down and polishing.

5-I polish the balls.

When using this process the table will play fast and slick for the first few dozen racks. I happen to like the way it plays after a few racks. Plays like perfectly new. I wish pool halls used this process.

View attachment 557171

Do you mean the top of the rail cushions, or do you include the cushion nose along with the top of the rails?

Since cloth is non directional, what benefit do you get from brushing?
Also, I'd never use any type of beater bar to clean Simonis, just good suction is all that's needed.

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you mean the top of the rail cushions, or do you include the cushion nose along with the top of the rails?

Also, I'd never use any type of beater bar to clean Simonis, just good suction is all that's needed.

I never put pledge or any chemical on the actual cushions. Only thing I use is straight water on the cloth. I only use pledge on the tops of the rails. The Formica or wood or whatever material is used. By spraying the rag with pledge then rubbing it on you can control it so you don’t put it on the cushion. I don’t think any chemical on the cushions or the bed is a good thing. I have heard of people using a light spray of armor all on the bed and rails. I would never ever do that personally. Also brushing is not to try to straighten “grain” it’s to get debris’s off the bed. Amazing amounts of dust is generated by chalk. Both cue chalk and hand chalk. Not to mention dust that loves to settle on flat surfaces like the bed. Truly amazing how much dust a table collects when not covered. I would say most don’t cover there tables. I do occasionally but not religiously.

Last edited:

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What’s a beater bar?

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If you leave a gap st vaccum head to not suck up the cloth,it won't stretch. Just the slightest gap and it cannot lift it.

A damp towel on cloth will pick up a bunch, use it every once in awhile.

The blue will stain over time, nothing, even woollite won't clean it completely.

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just got a new dustbuster from walmart, 19 bucks. Horsehair shoe brush from Ebay. Brush a foot, vacuum. Brush a foot, vacuum. I just leave a small gap while I run the dustbuster over the cloth to prevent too much suction. I do not have worsted cloth. :( So, I keep the balls new and the cloth perfect to get all the roll I can out of it.

Island Drive

Silver Member
If you leave a gap st vaccum head to not suck up the cloth,it won't stretch. Just the slightest gap and it cannot lift it.

A damp towel on cloth will pick up a bunch, use it every once in awhile
The blue will stain over time, nothing, even woollite won't clean it completely.

Lint free cloth, and I wet rag (wring it out first) before cleaning. When finished, I use the damp rag to wipe the pocket interiors clean. Using any kind of rotating brush is too wearing on the table cloth. When your table is recovered, you'll not see chalk under the cloth on the slates.