Important News

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If it were me, I'd be straight up with everyone... "There is a 32/48/64 man limit. The only people with a reserved spot are those who prepay. If you prepay, I expect you to be there for your match 15 minutes prior to start. If you are not, I will immediately resell your spot, no refunds given. I expect all the players who want to play to show some commitment, and not find something better to do an hour before the tournament."

Yeah, and that'd be great. But that's not what's going on here. This guy sells your spot if you're not hanging out in the building for an hour before the tournament. After a 3 minute roll call, he replaces the 5 no shows with guys who are standing by. That takes 4 more minutes. Now you have to hang out for 53 minutes before your play starts. I just don't get the need for it. 15 minutes ahead of time seems like plenty.

Out of curiosity, I'd like to know at what point some of the rule supporters in here would think it becomes unreasonable. Hour and a half early? Two hours early? Surely everyone has their breaking point.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Because the tournament director makes the rules, and what he is asking is not unreasonable at all, that's why.

This is only a discussion because we apparently have some very entitled pool players out there.

Golly gee, Russ. That makes me wonder how we ever could have done it without electronic preregistration...and a computer holdng all the info...and doing the draw.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I might just get the sense that Russ likes to argue.
Maybe...just, maybe.

And then he paraphrases/suggests exactly what I put forth: near 0 value added by having preregistered people there an hour early.

Negative value, in fact.

Yeah, and that'd be great. But that's not what's going on here. This guy sells your spot if you're not hanging out in the building for an hour before the tournament. After a 3 minute roll call, he replaces the 5 no shows with guys who are standing by. That takes 4 more minutes. Now you have to hang out for 53 minutes before your play starts. I just don't get the need for it. 15 minutes ahead of time seems like plenty.

Out of curiosity, I'd like to know at what point some of the rule supporters in here would think it becomes unreasonable. Hour and a half early? Two hours early? Surely everyone has their breaking point.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am most definitely for events starting on time-If I entered one and it was more than 20 minutes late getting started, I would usually withdraw because they were usually waiting for players who had called in saying they were running late-Half the time the same guy. I wanted to offset that with my withdrawal and always got my money back.

However if someone has PREPAID, they should go ahead and do the draw and start his match. Five minutes late, you are one game down, 10 minutes, 2 games down, 15 minutes you forfeit and get moved to the B side (if applicable) and same thing rules there.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am most definitely for events starting on time-If I entered one and it was more than 20 minutes late getting started, I would usually withdraw because they were usually waiting for players who had called in saying they were running late-Half the time the same guy. I wanted to offset that with my withdrawal and always got my money back.

However if someone has PREPAID, they should go ahead and do the draw and start his match. Five minutes late, you are one game down, 10 minutes, 2 games down, 15 minutes you forfeit and get moved to the B side (if applicable) and same thing rules there.
How about letting an alternate in, if the match is called and a participant has neither checked in or showed to table?

I'd go for that.

Goddam boat leaves at 8!

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about letting an alternate in, if the match is called and a participant has neither checked in or showed to table?

I'd go for that.

Goddam boat leaves at 8!

I think only if the no-show guy has called saying he wont be there-otherwise what if he shows 45 minutes late and is looking to play on the 'B' side? And if they ever take an alternates money and let him in-then the no-show guy should get his money back-perhaps with a 10% 'You're-a-pain-in-the-ass' fee deducted!

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why 1 hour before the draw? I can understand the reason for the policy for non paid entrants, but it seems to me like if the player has paid his entry fee in full, their spot should be held up until the tournament starts, and if their match is called and they don't show within 5 minutes, they forfeit that match. Are they trying to get 2 entry fees for one spot if a paid entrant fails to show up by 11, so they'll have enough time to collect another entry fee for the same spot? The players who are cutting it close should be responsible enough to call the poolroom to let them know exactly when they'll be there without the requirement to be there 1 hour ahead of time, at least for paid entrants. I'm guessing the reason for the memo is likely a history of past problems in this particular poolroom, with players showing up late and holding up the start of the tournaments.

I would agree with the above.

I would also add that if you don’t like the rules, or the venue, or the beer they serve, or sumthin’ else... elect not to play.

Lou Figueroa

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My timeline Is wake up at 4:30 hit the gym , go riding mountain bikes at 7:30 , lunch at 11:00 then fishing the rest of the day ! If someone wants action I'll come play sum 200$ sets everyday at 6:00 till closing time win or lose I'll do that everyday . I have 200 thousand to last me till June then back to work for 6 months .... I'm your huckleberry but not leaving Florida so tell your floridian buddies let's get it on !!! And I'm 49 years old so no way can I do all that in one day everyday and still play pool at night right ???? Im up for a challenge who else is ..... yall have a wonderful day

I’m in for the fishing but unless we’re going offshore the timing of it will be based solely on the tides. One pocket is best played at our room in the morning, all those loud phukers that come in at night pay the bills, but it’s a pain in the ass listening to them.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... near 0 value added by having preregistered people there an hour early.

Negative value, in fact.
He could make sure there was a good breakfast and lunch available and turn it into a positive for everyone. Or can he serve food?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I think only if the no-show guy has called saying he wont be there-otherwise what if he shows 45 minutes late and is looking to play on the 'B' side? And if they ever take an alternates money and let him in-then the no-show guy should get his money back-perhaps with a 10% 'You're-a-pain-in-the-ass' fee deducted!

I find this post sensible.

I’ve always like the way pro snooker handles this situation.
...you’re pre-paid
...you know your match time long before the tournament starts
...if you’re late, you lose a game for every 15 minutes you’re late...or any portion of 15 min.
...so if you’re 15 minutes and 1 second late, you’re down two games
...there is no limit to how long you can be late until your opponent has won the match..
...(you can be down 7-0 in a race to 9 and still win if you show up)

Snooker gives you a chance to become a millionaire....and they still seem less harsh on
the rules than this tournament...which certainly won’t have the money added that snooker has...I think pool tournaments could use the same logic on game penalties....
...but make it 5 minutes per game instead of 15.

All things considered, I think I’d pass on this tournament....
....they’re playing hard to get when they’re hard to want