Austin Anyone?

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm moving from New York City to Austin, Texas in about three weeks. I'm probably going to end up visiting every single poolroom in a 30 mile radius of me within the first month but wondered if anyone here could provide a list of their favorites and what makes them your favorites.

Drop The Rock

1652nd on AZ Money List
Silver Member
Skinny Bob's in round rock is the only real option IMO. There are other places in town but its the best. Which part of Austin are you moving to? I used to live there!

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Skinny Bob's in round rock is the only real option IMO. There are other places in town but its the best. Which part of Austin are you moving to? I used to live there!

I'll be right near Congress, a block away from the Colorado River. I know Skinny Bob's is about a 15 minute drive away so that's not so bad.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm moving from New York City to Austin, Texas in about three weeks. I'm probably going to end up visiting every single poolroom in a 30 mile radius of me within the first month but wondered if anyone here could provide a list of their favorites and what makes them your favorites.

Skinny Bob's for sure. Ramos in Manor has five Diamond 9 footers.

The Warehouse is south but pretty close to you. I haven't been there in years but they have 9 footers that are in pretty good shape.

Most of the other pool halls such as Click's and Fast Eddies are mostly 8 footers and the condition of the tables varies.

Hit me up via pm if you want to play some or have any questions about tournaments, leagues, or anything.

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The Warehouse is south but pretty close to you. I haven't been there in years but they have 9 footers that are in pretty good shape.

Most of the other pool halls such as Click's and Fast Eddies are mostly 8 footers and the condition of the tables varies.

Hit me up via pm if you want to play some or have any questions about tournaments, leagues, or anything.

One of the many reasons this is an awesome site. Jude moves across the country and can get the lowdown on the pool scene in a new location immediately and someone to play with!

Gideon

RFranklin

Ready, fire...aim
Silver Member
Austin

I wouldn't call it a Hall but there is actually a place on sixth that would be the closest called Buffalo billiards. No action and bringing your stick would be senseless but you can walk there and hit some. Otherwise nine ball is right about where to play. I also live in Austin so PM me if you want to hit some.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the many reasons this is an awesome site. Jude moves across the country and can get the lowdown on the pool scene in a new location immediately and someone to play with!

Gideon

I couldn't agree more with you. I'm actually going through a separation right now. My wife and I have been going through some issues but we're still remaining civil with each other and hold out some hope of reconciliation down the line. I'm moving to Austin because I've wanted to for a while but also because my marriage is in need of space. I am overwhelmingly excited and hopeful that I can continue enjoying pool like I did in New York.

Azb has always been a great place for a lot of reasons but I cannot emphasize enough how this forum can make it easier for us to continue accessing our pool passion, which is often the very way we define ourselves.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Well, Skinny Bob's is likely going to be my first stop and I'll certainly be PM'ing you in about a month or so. I do have a few friends in Austin that play pool but being separated and all has been good for my game. I think I'm going to want to get out a little more than they will.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Welcome to Texas Jude. If you're ever in south Houston, PM me for some cheap sets and the first round. :)

Drop The Rock, how can I get on your tournament schedule? I like to donate. :)

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lots of places

There are more Pool halls in Texas then anywhere in the country, you wont be disappointed.

Skinny Bobs is number without a doubt, clean and well kept place and tables.(Action)

The Warehouse just remodeled, re-felted the tables, good for practice (little Action)

Buffalo's downtown, its for tourist, a bar with tables. Tables are ok at best (no Action)

The Grand is a Pool Hall, it use to be the spot for Action years ago, still has good tables, I think there all Gold Crowns (some Action)

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are more Pool halls in Texas then anywhere in the country, you wont be disappointed.

Skinny Bobs is number without a doubt, clean and well kept place and tables.(Action)

The Warehouse just remodeled, re-felted the tables, good for practice (little Action)

Buffalo's downtown, its for tourist, a bar with tables. Tables are ok at best (no Action)

The Grand is a Pool Hall, it use to be the spot for Action years ago, still has good tables, I think there all Gold Crowns (some Action)

Thanks, this is great info! I did spend a weekend in Austin a couple years ago and stopped into Buffalo's with the wife. I'm glad your opinion and mine match-up perfectly. It's a very nice spot but not exactly a player's room.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Welcome to Texas Jude. If you're ever in south Houston, PM me for some cheap sets and the first round. :)

Drop The Rock, how can I get on your tournament schedule? I like to donate. :)

I can't see why I wouldn't go to Houston. They have baseball and pool, what else is there?

WGDave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jude, thank you for this thread. Saved me from starting one.

I have to go to Johnson Space Center for business in the next few months (timing of that depends on the astronaut's schedule), and then go visit my Dad in Georgetown during the same trip.

He goes to bed early (8PM), and instead of climbing the walls at that time, figured I'd go play a little pool. Turns out Skinny Bob's is a 10 minute trip! Excellent. Looks like I'll be packing a cue for this trip.

Good luck in Texas.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You'll LOVE Houston too

I can't see why I wouldn't go to Houston. They have baseball and pool, what else is there?

Houston has more Pool halls than any city in America by far!!! Action on every side of town, most of it is cheap, but it is Action.

If you want some high dollar Action, Big Tymes is the place, Bogies or Clicks during the day, you wont be disappointed.

HelloBaby-

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Depends on what you want
Skinny Bob has nice atmosphere and a lot of actions but awful awful tables.
Manor has Diamonds with almost new felt and that says it all :)

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, this is great info! I did spend a weekend in Austin a couple years ago and stopped into Buffalo's with the wife. I'm glad your opinion and mine match-up perfectly. It's a very nice spot but not exactly a player's room.

Skinny Bob's has the major tournaments and attracts world class players when they are in town but Ramos Sports Bar has a good one pocket tournament and also 9 ball tournaments with stiff competition in both 1 pocket and 9 ball. There are some very sporty players in the Austin area.

Enjoy your time in Austin. It is a laid back place to live and, being from New York, you will not be stressed by the traffic. Rentals and house purchases are a little pricey for Texas but you will probably feel like you are stealing. Much cheaper than your former area.

funnyman

Registered
- Clicks on South Oltorf has the best 8-ft tables in the city limits.
- the Warehouse on Ben White has a 10-ft snooker table.
- the Thursday night and Saturday afternoon 9-ball tournaments on 9-ft GCs at The Grand seem to attract some real shooters (a little out of my league).

I agree everyone says Skinny Bob's is where it's at. But I love The Grand for in-town play. Great spot with great people. The Wednesday night unsanctioned BCA 8-ball league is cheap, fast and fun -- guys playing APA 6 & 7 pool and having a good time.

You'll love the pool scene here. Free on most nights somewhere, an APA or BCA league every weeknight, and lots of weekend tournaments.

Last edited: