Pics from the ICCS Show

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I've finally caught up on my sleep. It was a whirlwind weekend and a great experience. I was very impressed by the depth and quality of the collectors cues. How I got into this show, I have no clue, but I talked with vistors at my table non-stop for 5 hours.

The magnificent art cues stole the show, but the collectors seemed to have a lot of respect for the old classics too. I guess I get the "Gonads Award" for displaying a $5 Titlist blank from the 1950's and it seemed to get as much attention (especially from the cue makers) as the $50,000 monster cues floating around. The whole show was a blast and there was a ton of diversity.

Here are some pics - first off, the Masters: Left to right, Bill Schick, Ernie Gutierrez, Tad Kohara, Richard Black, and master of ceremonies, Bill Stroud.

cue_masters.JPG

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
At the end of the show, each of the collectors picked a cue to display at the Grand Collection. I shudder to think of the value of this group - it truly was a magnificent display of cues, from old favorites to fantastic works of art.

GrandCiollection.JPG

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
You can guess whose display this is, with all the skulls and purpleheart. The cue just to the right of center is Thomas Wayne's famed 'Dem Bones' award winning cue. Those Edwin Reyes cues are bad to the bone. He's going to kill me for saying this, but in real life, Jimbo is a very, very nice guy and a rock solid cue collector with a keen respect for craftsmanship. He and Will Prout made me feel quite welcome and at home in my first show. I would like to thank them for the hospitality.

Jimbo.JPG

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Bill Schick's fantastic cues, including the best of Show, Mountain Man on the far left. Bill scrimmed it himself, magnificently I might add.

Schick_s.JPG

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I have more pics of the collections, but I am reluctant to publish them without permission from the collectors. There were so many fabulous collections, it would have been hard to pick a single stand-out. There were 16 displaying collectors from around the world in addition to the cue makers.

The show was well done and very professional. The show was also quite well attended. I would estimate that at least 100 people were at the final night banquet.

Bill Stroud did a great job.

Chris

Last edited:

jimmycue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great bunch of cues/art work, please keep the pics comming.
Thanks for sharing.

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Great Pictures!!!

TATE said:
I've finally caught up on my sleep. It was a whirlwind weekend and a great experience. I was very impressed by the depth and quality of the collectors cues. How I got into this show, I have no clue, but I talked with vistors at my table non-stop for 5 hours.

The magnificent art cues stold the show, but the collectors seemed to have a lot of respect for the old classics too. I guess I get the "Gonads Award" for displaying a $5 Titlist blank from the 1950's and it seemed to get as much attention (especially from the cue makers) as the $50,000 monster cues floating around. The whole show was a blast and there was a ton of diversity.

Here are some pics - first off, the Masters: Left to right, Bill Schick, Ernie Gutierrez, Tad Kohara, Richard Black, and master of ceremonies, Bill Stroud.

cue_masters.JPG

Chris,

It was a genuine pleasure to meet you at the show. You personally contributed in a great way to the success of the show. I loved your collection on display, with some superb Palmer examples along with rare pieces of cuedom!! I look forward to the next one!

It looks like you got some memorable pictures of the show, with this shot of the Masters being perfection. By the way, if you got any pictures of my stuff, please put them up on AZ.

Take care,

Will

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
ibuycues said:
Chris,

It was a genuine pleasure to meet you at the show. You personally contributed in a great way to the success of the show. I loved your collection on display, with some superb Palmer examples along with rare pieces of cuedom!! I look forward to the next one!

It looks like you got some memorable pictures of the show, with this shot of the Masters being perfection. By the way, if you got any pictures of my stuff, please put them up on AZ.

Take care,

Will

Thank you, Will! My pics of your cues came out badly - I must have been trembling at their beauty. Next time I'm bringing a tripod.

For those who might not know it, Will is one of the premier collectors in the world. I am glad the group voted you as the Chairman to represent us and to present the final prizes at the dinner.

Some of the posters here, Kener Kerner for example, have tremendous collections. I have always been enthused by the history and craftsmanship of fine cues, but the show helped to elevate my awareness of cues as a canvas for the expression of fine art.

I have a few ideas - maybe I'll put them to the test!

Thanks again, Will!

Chris

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wow!

Bill Schick had told me he was now only building theme cues and very few of them at that. Now I truely understand what he was telling me. To talk with Bill is as enjoyable as to look at his cues! It had to be a pleasure to talk with that bunch. Very nice!
Thanks Tate
Nick:)

ChrisOnline

4 8 15 16 23 42
Silver Member
i personaly would love to talk to Ernie G. , first question i would ask him would be about his favorite past time.. Superbike racing :) and talk to him about his yamaha's.. then maybe we will shoot the bull about his cues.. :)

chris

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tate,

Post pics of YOUR display sir! As always, thank you for sharing.

Jimbo sent me a photo of his display, and I'm glad he gave you the go ahead to share it with everyone. It's no Meucci collection..................but ok. :)

Great stuff!

Matt

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Matt_24 said:
Tate,

Post pics of YOUR display sir! As always, thank you for sharing.

Jimbo sent me a photo of his display, and I'm glad he gave you the go ahead to share it with everyone. It's no Meucci collection..................but ok. :)

Great stuff!

Matt

Matt,

Most of the collectors are into high end art cues. Since I am into historic cues, I used a museum approach. I set up a display to show the evolution of cue designs and the influence of cues from one generation to the next. I had placards and hand out materials to explain the meaning of the display. Mine was more educational so the display was meaningless without proper explanation. (see below)

Palmer_Collection.JPG

Left to right,

1. Ebony Brunswick 26 1/2 from 1920's. The veneer colors on this cue were later copied into the Spain, Palmer and Szamboti blanks made in the 1960's and 1970's.

2. Brunswick 26 1/2 from 1910 - 1915 era, pearl wedge. This is one of the earliest examples of what became the Titlist colors in veneers.

3. The Palmer "H" circa 1970 - influenced by the above Brunswick.

4. Paradise Diamond King, circa 1965, early Burton Spain blank with red veneers.

5. Palmer K, early 1970's, early Szamboti blank, copied the Diamond King original design.

6. Rough turned Titlist full length blank, 1950's.

7. Very early ebony Gus Szamboti cue with ivory joint.

8. 1950's Herman Rambow with ivory butt cap.

9. Palmer C, circa 1968, probably the first designated tribute cue, called "Rambow style" in catalog.

10. Palmer Model 20 - I set it up full length with inlayed shaft.

11. The Model 20's granddaddy, the Palmer Model 11, first catalog, circa 1964. To the far left is a like-new case from 1964. This cue was stored in a vault in the case for 40 years, so its just like new.

Chris

Last edited:

alpine9430

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TATE said:
Matt,

Most of the collectors are into high end art cues. Since I am into historic cues, I used a museum approach. I set up a display to show the evolution of cue designs and the influence of cues from one generation to the next. I had placards and hand out materials to explain the meaning of the display. Mine was more educational so the display was meaningless without proper explanation. Chris
Awesome display.
I am sure you had a great deal of traffic equal to the theme cues.

Thanks for posting the pictures.
Myron

pharaoh68

Banned
TATE said:
At the end of the show, each of the collectors picked a cue to display at the Grand Collection. I shudder to think of the value of this group - it truly was a magnificent display of cues, from old favorites to fantastic works of art.

GrandCiollection.JPG

I wanna see how many of these I can identify:

Left to right:
Arthur cue
Ginacue
Another Gina (?)
McDaniel (?)
Palmer
Black
Bender
TAD
Manzino
(the purpleheart one is throwing me for a loop - Bill Schick??)
Southwest
Richard Chudy
Pfd
McWorter
dunno
dunno
And I'm not sure about this ebony cue but it has all the dimensions of a Manzino.

...after that, they get a little too small for me to tell. Am I right on some of these?

And by the way Chris, thanks for the pics!! They're great. And it really gives the rest of us a chance to get a glimpse of an incredible event and view some remarkable cues that we may never have seen otherwise.

Last edited:

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I wounder

Which cues Scott displayed. Hay highrun! Give us a taiste! Or at least email me a pic or two I will be sure that they stay with me only and thanks again
Nick

X Breaker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chris,

Thank you so much for sharing the pictures...your display is really nice, I wish I was there. I actually planned to go but then just got too busy.:confused:

Is it possible to see the cues displayed by Samsara if you have the pictures taken.

Thank you.

Richard

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
nipponbilliards said:
Chris,

Thank you so much for sharing the pictures...your display is really nice, I wish I was there. I actually planned to go but then just got too busy.:confused:

Is it possible to see the cues displayed by Samsara if you have the pictures taken.

Thank you.

Richard

I'll check later on the Samsara. I have one pic for sure of his contest entry cue, which was awesome.

With Samsara, I think the voting collectors are becoming "conditioned" to seeing his manner of cue, so perhaps the effect is not as dramatic as if it were fresh to the eye. It certainly was a beauty. His work is so complex, it boggles me that anyone can do this.

Chris

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
pharaoh68 said:
I wanna see how many of these I can identify:

Left to right:
Arthur cue
Ginacue
Another Gina (?)
McDaniel (?)
Palmer
Black
Bender
TAD
Manzino
(the purpleheart one is throwing me for a loop - Bill Schick??)
Southwest
Richard Chudy
Pfd
McWorter
dunno
dunno
And I'm not sure about this ebony cue but it has all the dimensions of a Manzino.

...after that, they get a little too small for me to tell. Am I right on some of these?

And by the way Christ, thanks for the pics!! They're great. And it really gives the rest of us a chance to get a glimpse of an incredible event and view some remarkable cues that we may never have seen otherwise.

I wish I knew all of them myself. You have a lot right, that's for sure. The Palmer is actually a Paradise Diamond King (mine) with red veneers. The Arthur cue has copies of Egyptian heirogylpics that tell a story. That Southwest was a real prize. Many of these cues were so heavily decorated that it actually takes a few minutes of staring to realize what exactly you are seeing.

The Tad was from a collector in Japan and he brought over a fantastic display of older Tad's.

Chris

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tads

TATE said:
I wish I knew all of them myself. You have a lot right, that's for sure. The Palmer is actually a Paradise Diamond King (mine) with red veneers. The Arthur cue has copies of Egyptian heirogylpics that tell a story. That Southwest was a real prize. Many of these cues were so heavily decorated that it actually takes a few minutes of staring to realize what exactly you are seeing.

The Tad was from a collector in Japan and he brought over a fantastic display of older Tad's.

Chris

Chris -

Did you get a photo of the Tads?

Damn those cues are awesome.

I know alot of cuemakers dont want the pics to get out.

Ken