"Test Hit"

cecain7

Registered
From time to time, when I'm searching for a new cue, I find that many have been "test hit". They are usually listed as 'new', however. If I decide to purchase having that information, I expect the cue to arrive as if it really is new. Now, I understand that my definition may be a bit less forgiving than the person selling the cue. The test hits vary from the seller, i.e., one or two balls to one or two hours. However, even after a 'test hit', I expect the 'new' cue to be clean...tip included...and without any nicks whatsoever. Anything less, in my opinion, is used however slightly.

Anyway, recently it seems to go without saying that every cue that is not direct from the hands of manufacture that it has indeed been used/tested.

As long as the seller is upfront about their practice of test hitting, I expect the practice will endure.

Anyway, I do sell cues sometimes, and most of them I note an approximate usage and their condition. I believe I recall only one cue and one shaft that I declared as being 'test hit'. And, I believe I described the cue as "nearly new".

Please note that I posted this only to get a bit of feedback.

Thanks for your honest responses in advance.

Cain

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
I assume everything in the For Sale forum to be used, unless coming directly from the cue builder, case maker, etc. and listed as new.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From time to time, when I'm searching for a new cue, I find that many have been "test hit". They are usually listed as 'new', however. If I decide to purchase having that information, I expect the cue to arrive as if it really is new. Now, I understand that my definition may be a bit less forgiving than the person selling the cue. The test hits vary from the seller, i.e., one or two balls to one or two hours. However, even after a 'test hit', I expect the 'new' cue to be clean...tip included...and without any nicks whatsoever. Anything less, in my opinion, is used however slightly.

Anyway, recently it seems to go without saying that every cue that is not direct from the hands of manufacture that it has indeed been used/tested.

As long as the seller is upfront about their practice of test hitting, I expect the practice will endure.

Anyway, I do sell cues sometimes, and most of them I note an approximate usage and their condition. I believe I recall only one cue and one shaft that I declared as being 'test hit'. And, I believe I described the cue as "nearly new".

Please note that I posted this only to get a bit of feedback.

Thanks for your honest responses in advance.

Cain
I don't think it would bother me if the cue (sold and purchased as being new) has been hit / tip has been chalked, as long as the entire cue is in mint condition with absolutely no nicks or blemishes, upon an extremely close inspection - even for a cue in the 4 figure range.

It would be very easy for the seller/dealer to remove the chalk and make the shaft/tip appear like it has never been hit if they wanted to, so assuring the cue is in absolute mint condition would be the main concern to me. I'd not be overly concerned as to whether someone had taken a few shots with it. If you're picky to the point that you're even questioning whether or not the cue has been hit, you could drive yourself silly worrying about it.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I assume everything in the For Sale forum to be used, unless coming directly from the cue builder, case maker, etc. and listed as new.
I have talked to cue makers who always chalk and shoot with a cue. If I were a cue maker I would not let a cue out of my shop that had not been tested by shooting with it, and you haven't really shot with a cue stick unless you spin the ball a lot.

Of course it is a five-minute job to make a stick that has been used (carefully) for an hour look as if it hasn't been shot with.

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
Unless coming directly from the cue builder, "test hit" is a misnomer for "I shot with this cue for 'X' games and it didn't feel right so now I'm selling".

Badbeat13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Test hit" doesn't bother me as long as those words
are followed by "hits a ton", "plays lights out", etc.
What bothers me is receiving the cue and finding
out that apparently none of this shit was true and
the seller already has the cash.

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Test hit" doesn't bother me as long as those words
are followed by "hits a ton", "plays lights out", etc.
What bothers me is receiving the cue and finding
out that apparently none of this shit was true and
the seller already has the cash.

Very funny lol
Except you missed out “ Monster Cue “ “ hits like a southwest “ and “ a lot of cues for the money “ lol

cecain7

Registered
Thanks for the responses. I've always had good outcomes in buying cues. In selling, I'm afraid I'm not a retailer...I buy high and sell low. Upside down, I guess.
Anyway, in my mind, I picture a cue passing through a couple of dozens of hands, each 'testing' the hit and the next buyer getting a well-tested cue for sure.
But, the upshot is that I doubt it will keep me from buying test hit cues. I'll just admit that unless the maker ships it to me that I have a used cue (my definition).

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
honesty matters; and so does rep. :wink:

the basic principle to treat others as you would like to be treated should be the template for every transaction, regardless of whether you are the buyer or seller.

best,
brian