digicue told you whats wrong...what did you do specifically to fix it ?

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i asked this question in the other thread but it really wasnt directy related
i havent used my digi cue in a long time
i bought the original and the blue
it told me i had tip steer when i didnt feel it and other stroke flaws
it was more or less the same reading when i hit a perfect stop shot or when there was unintentional spin.
it told me what it measured as stroke flaws but it did not tell me how to correct it.
so if you guys can share what you did to fix your flaws i would appreciate it
it might prompt me to take it out and use it again
thanks

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it was more or less the same reading when i hit a perfect stop shot or when there was unintentional spin.
it told me what it measured as stroke flaws but it did not tell me how to correct it.
thanks

Experimenting is the way to go. Usually tip steer is caused by your visual alignment being off. Your stroke is correcting subconsciously for being off line. You can still hit a stop shot while coming across the cue ball. The youtube video Nathan posted is a good visual of what different strokes look like.

I found that I can eliminate steer by moving my head position or making sure the V on my grip hand points straight down on my follow through. I had been turning my wrist a little bit to compensate for what my eyes thought they saw. I felt that moving my head was the easier and more correct adjustment.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
thanks

Tip steer and follow through for me. The follow through acceleration just needs working on. You've got to start the forward swing slower and accelerate through the cue ball. AND I'm finding when I do that the tip steer comes out a 9 or 10. Acceleration you can feel it and just keep working on it. Robin does both of these 10/10. I'll have him monitor mine tomorrow. Also I just received the new QMD3 and it is amazing. I will not comment about it one here yet. Too much adverse comments from guys that won't buy anything to aid their games.

Attachments

• shot today.PNG
    shot today.PNG
    148.9 KB · Views: 413
Last edited:

croscoe

Retired
Silver Member
I found beginner no problem. Whew. That’s a start. Haha
On intermediate first tries tip stir a bit left , follow through, finish.
Open stance removed 99% of stir now falls within specs.
Finish in my opinion is to long on base settings. Playing you can’t stay down 2 seconds or more.
Slight pause at end of stroke is good enough.
Lastly follow through. I use mainly pendulum stroke and chin on shaft. As such end of stroke hits my chest so no slowing after contact with cueball. It’s an abrupt stop even if slowing prior.

Edit add: shortened by back stroke helped straightness. Flaw is apparent at full extension like break stroke.

Some side notes:
Vibrating stopped sent back to OB waiting for their answer now.
Only used ( bought here used) 2 weeks but like it so far even playing just glance at it. If a odd shot like jacked up, or over ball limited space I understand errors.
It has kept me focused on stroke and so far helped.
On Pro well most are good but no pro. Haha

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tip steer and follow through for me. The follow through acceleration just needs working on. You've got to start the forward swing slower and accelerate through the cue ball. AND I'm finding when I do that the tip steer comes out a 9 or 10. Acceleration you can feel it and just keep working on it. Robin does both of these 10/10. I'll have him monitor mine tomorrow. Also I just received the new QMD3 and it is amazing. I will not comment about it one here yet. Too much adverse comments from guys that won't buy anything to aid their games.

How does the doo-hickey differentiate between tip steer (presumably bad) and back hand english (presumably good)?

I would also point out that some of the greatest players in history had gianourmos swarps in their strokes and/or, as in the case of Mosconi, often swipe at the ball to produce a particular effect and/or position play. Some purposely setup with elevation for their draw shots rather than level. My point being that no one can tell any individual player that there is only one optimal stroke out there that they *must* embrace.

Lou Figueroa

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am inclined to agree with Lou.

More than one way to skin a cat and in pool, what measures success is winning, not how pretty you look.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
How does the doo-hickey differentiate between tip steer (presumably bad) and back hand english (presumably good)?

I would also point out that some of the greatest players in history had gianourmos swarps in their strokes and/or, as in the case of Mosconi, often swipe at the ball to produce a particular effect and/or position play. Some purposely setup with elevation for their draw shots rather than level. My point being that no one can tell any individual player that there is only one optimal stroke out there that they *must* embrace.

Lou Figueroa

True enough. A lot of us (me) didn't start out as a youngster and grew up with the game as some of my opponents and pros have done. But, I think in a normal stroke there would be acceleration through the cue ball. I'm sure you have it perfectly. I would imagine you have a 10/10 tip steer and acceleration as my pool teacher has. Would be fun to know.....

Last edited:

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa

Tip steer is moving left-right during the stroke. Back hand english is aiming prior to starting the stroke, and so wouldn’t show up on the digicue.

I got one and I’m a believer. Definitely in the past a lot of good players had bad strokes - my guess is good players today have much better strokes in general, and are much better players because of it. No one can tell anyone what they must do lol. But if you want a good stroke, and the improved accuracy that will result, this thing can help for sure.

croscoe

Retired
Silver Member
I am inclined to agree with Lou.

More than one way to skin a cat and in pool, what measures success is winning, not how pretty you look.

Don’t think it was designed to skin cats or make one look good. It appears to be for those trying to figure out what their stroke may be going with hopes of achieving a straighter smoother more consistent stroke. Well accomplished shooter players not likely to purchase. Pitchers throwing sidearm in the big leagues not likely to buy vids explaining how to throw overhead.
Kind of like saying opening bridge vs closed.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tip steer is moving left-right during the stroke. Back hand english is aiming prior to starting the stroke, and so wouldn’t show up on the digicue.

I got one and I’m a believer. Definitely in the past a lot of good players had bad strokes - my guess is good players today have much better strokes in general, and are much better players because of it. No one can tell anyone what they must do lol. But if you want a good stroke, and the improved accuracy that will result, this thing can help for sure.

I agree. If the device shows tip steering then you're not finding the correct aim line, or you're not lining up correctly for the shot. Many great players with wonky strokes learned to play the game their own way, making their funny little quirks work through repetition over a long period of time. Developing a fundamentally sound stroke should speed up the learning process quite a bit.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
True enough. A lot of us (me) didn't start out as a youngster and grew up with the game as some of my opponents and pros have done. But, I think in a normal stroke there would be acceleration through the cue ball. I'm sure you have it perfectly. I would imagine you have a 10/10 tip steer and acceleration as my pool teacher has. Would be fun to know.....

Don’t need to know.

I have a very simple way of determining the quality of my stroke: does the ball go into the pocket and does the CB go where I want it to.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If you win world championships you do not have a “bad stroke.”

Lou Figueroa

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
The digicue showed me that I rushed too often to make that final stroke and move on to the next shot. So I worked on incorporating a pause in my backstroke, so slight I doubt anyone would notice, but I feel it and the digi captures it. I also worked on purposely staying down after each shot to eliminate raising up. Now I nail each parameter on the advanced setting, which provides a higher degree of confidence when shooting.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don’t think it was designed to skin cats or make one look good. It appears to be for those trying to figure out what their stroke may be going with hopes of achieving a straighter smoother more consistent stroke. Well accomplished shooter players not likely to purchase. Pitchers throwing sidearm in the big leagues not likely to buy vids explaining how to throw overhead.
Kind of like saying opening bridge vs closed.

So let me ask you: where is the proof that once you achieve this idealized “perfect” stroke you will play better?

What evidence is out there that we can all see that if you can max out the doo-dad and achieve nerdvana that you will run more balls?

Lou Figueroa

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bet the digicue would would explode if it was set to analyze my current stroke.

Since I have become a 3 month out of the year player, I have developed a lot of lateral movement in my stroke.

A tad worrisome ,but since I rarely play anyone else, not sure I really care.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
So let me ask you: where is the proof that once you achieve this idealized “perfect” stroke you will play better?

What evidence is out there that we can all see that if you can max out the doo-dad and achieve nerdvana that you will run more balls?

Lou Figueroa

If you are 100% satisfied with your stroke, you don't need to pay for training aids, instruction, books, videos, etc. Just be happy. Some of us are not.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa

Are you saying that if someone has a repeatedly perfect stroke that they won't play any better than they do with a stroke that is all over the map and rarely contacts the point they want to strike on the cue ball?

Jayson Shaw has an almost perfect repeatable stroke when using the digicue. His results with it have been posted in a different thread. We call him Eagle Eye but that just may be a result of his stroke and not necessarily his eyesight.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa

Common sense. Anything that helps a player develop consistency, especially in cue delivery, is bound to help the player achieve a higher skill level.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bet the digicue would would explode if it was set to analyze my current stroke.

Since I have become a 3 month out of the year player, I have developed a lot of lateral movement in my stroke.

A tad worrisome ,but since I rarely play anyone else, not sure I really care.

Dont be so sure. There is always at least two others watching you, one is the "ghost", the other is "Santa".

Shame on you for not knowing that!!!!!!

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you saying that if someone has a repeatedly perfect stroke that they won't play any better than they do with a stroke that is all over the map and rarely contacts the point they want to strike on the cue ball?

Jayson Shaw has an almost perfect repeatable stroke when using the digicue. His results with it have been posted in a different thread. We call him Eagle Eye but that just may be a result of his stroke and not necessarily his eyesight.

What I am saying is: where’s the proof?

I have seen players with perfect form who cannot run out.

Lou Figueroa