Your first ( good ) cue

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
What was your first ( good ) cue? Chances are, it was a production cue so there is probably a photo or two of the same cue floating around the net ( Google, etc ). If it was custom, then you must've been a rich kid! :D

Here is my first "good" cue, ( my first few cues were not "good" cues by any stretch ), a National Tournament ( Gandy ). I had never heard of weight bolts back then and it was too heavy ( 22 oz ), so I sold it @ year later. I sure wish I still had it. I LOVED that cue. It hit balls solid as a rock.

1098_fore_hi_gandy.jpg

1098_butt_hi_gandy.jpg

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
If by good, you mean shoots lights out, I'll let you know when I find it. :rolleyes:

My first cue ever is a good cue, I reckon. '93 Schon SL14.
I say I reckon as it's still a virgin. Stumbled on an eight point Buss before the Schon ever hit a ball.

But weren't no rich kid. It was a 60th birthday present to myself.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
If by good, you mean shoots lights out, I'll let you know when I find it. :rolleyes:

My first cue ever is a good cue, I reckon. '93 Schon SL14.
I say I reckon as it's still a virgin. Stumbled on an eight point Buss before the Schon ever hit a ball.

But weren't no rich kid. It was a 60th birthday present to myself.

Ahhhh... a late starter!

My first was a Brunswick house cue ( the owner put it behind the counter for me so, to me, it was "mine" ) from 12 to 15 or so. I loved that cue. I had several chances to have a 2 piece but the Brunswick was all I wanted to play with. The owner always told me I should get a good 2 piece but I was a stubborn kid. When I was 16, I bought a cheap Viking. It was pretty beat up and I never really liked it. So the National was my first "nice" cue. Man I loved that cue. Wish I still had it.

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Palmer Model B

Palmer Model B bought new in 1975 for $65. It remains 100% original except for the tip and wrap. It was my only cue for 25 years and I still play with it today.

Attachments

• Palmr Model B - 1.jpg
    Palmr Model B - 1.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 1,185
  • Palmr Model B - 2.jpg
    Palmr Model B - 2.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 1,198
  • Palmr Model B - 3.jpg
    Palmr Model B - 3.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 1,186

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My stick was very similar to this although I didn't pay the price that is listed now. I bought it in 1988.

Attachments

• me9712_01.jpg
    me9712_01.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 1,170
Last edited:

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Palmer Model B bought new in 1975 for $65. It remains 100% original except for the tip and wrap. It was my only cue for 25 years and I still play with it today.

Nice cue! Wish I still had the Palmer I brought brand new in 76. I think I paid 110.00 for it. It had a custom ( included at time of order ) smooth black leather wrap which was pretty rare for a Palmer. Of course, I sold it @ 3 years later. Another big mistake. Hindsight really *IS* 20/20.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
My stick was very similar to this although I didn't pay the price that is listed now.

I loved Meuccis when they first came out. ESPECIALLY the ferrules. I had never seen a 1" ferrule before. I was like... ohh yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh, I *LIKE* that! And I loved the way they hit balls. But I heard ( and, later, saw for myself ) the ferrules cracked easily so I never bought one 'til many years later. By that time they had solved the issue. Such pretty cues back then. Very very stylish.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My first good cue was a Viking. It cost $90 around 1972.
I bought a second shaft which required me to send the cue back to Viking, it cost $15
I still have the cue.
When I got the cue I would tell my friends it was like having power steering

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First cue was a Chinese El Cheapo Depot but first good cue was a Meucci BH-1 Rifleman cue. Bought it from Buddy in Tulsa at Fat Randy's Boulder Billiards. IIRC i gave Buddy around 50bux for it. One i wish i'd kept. Oh well.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
My first good cue was a Viking. It cost $90 around 1972.
I bought a second shaft which required me to send the cue back to Viking, it cost $15
I still have the cue.
When I got the cue I would tell my friends it was like having power steering

Must've been a pretty nice Viking for 90.00 in 72. That would be @ 400.00 now. If not more... you have a photo of it?

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but when I was new to pool around my college days, I really had no idea what made a "good" cue or not. I just figured that any straight, two-piece cue was as good as any other.

The first two-piece cue that I bought I'm pretty sure that I bought from K-mart! I recall that the entire wrap area was clear coated over though. It was for sure less than $100 bucks. Maybe even down near $40. I don't remember for sure.

My best friend that didn't even play pool thought that this cue was an expensive custom cue. I know that I didn't lie, but I was embarrassed about how cheap it was. So somehow during our conversations of him guessing what it cost, he ended-up with the idea that it was around a $700 cue. I just let him believe that.

I'll never forget the day that we were at a party at an experienced pool player's house that had a table downstairs. I brought my cue. My friend decided to hand it to this guy and ask him what he thought it was worth. He's starring at it in almost disbelief. LOL He holds it up and bangs the side of the cue with the heel of his hand and the whole shaft vibrated like a tuning fork. LOL He's like, "I don't know, maybe it's worth $50". My friend laughed thinking that this guy had no idea what he was talking about.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
First cue was a Chinese El Cheapo Depot but first good cue was a Meucci BH-1 Rifleman cue. Bought it from Buddy in Tulsa at Fat Randy's Boulder Billiards. IIRC i gave Buddy around 50bux for it. One i wish i'd kept. Oh well.

Amen, brother... I feel yer pain. :yeah:

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Ahhhh... a late starter!

My first was a Brunswick house cue ( the owner put it behind the counter for me so, to me, it was "mine" ) from 12 to 15 or so. I loved that cue. I had several chances to have a 2 piece but the Brunswick was all I wanted to play with. The owner always told me I should get a good 2 piece but I was a stubborn kid. When I was 16, I bought a cheap Viking. It was pretty beat up and I never really liked it. So the National was my first "nice" cue. Man I loved that cue. Wish I still had it.

Yep, started very late.

That's why guys like me need guys like you.