Happy Birthday Gus

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Most of us can only dream of having the impact on so many that your father did. He lives on in you and your son's cues as well as in all the cues that have been built trying to emulate his high standards and clean look.

Happy Birthday Gus. I have only ever played with one of your cues one time in my life and I wish I had had the extra $8000 that my friend wanted for it.

cyrex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Friend, mentor, legend, father.

Happy Birthday to Gus Szamboti. Who's impact on the billiard world is legendary. He will be greatly missed by those who knew him and those who will only know of him. To this day, when someone is talking about a 'Szamboti' it is known that they are talking about a cue of the highest echelon. A standard of quality that all other cuemakers will be compared to.

To Barry, I'm sure you are so proud of your dad and miss him a great deal. He was your friend, mentor, and your pops! I hope you can find some comfort in knowing that his presence still surrounds you every day. From the machines that have his prints worn into them from years of use to the genes in your own children.... he is still all around you. This is part of every father's plan. To give his children an opportunity, a future, and a history rich with his presence. So that he will always be part of you, and therefore, with you.

I have no doubt that he is very proud of you and misses his friend and son and mentor too.

Warmest Regards,
Rex

ScottR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
szamboti said:
Today would be my Dad's 77th birthday.
It's a tough day for me.
I'm lucky in some ways. My idol was my Dad.
I wish you all could have known that as great a cuemaker
that he was, he was an even better man.

Happy Birthdady to the Man!
Happy belated to your Father, Barry.

I know I miss my dad too......

Scott Roberson

Drawman623

Box Cue lover
Silver Member
To Gus

I know Gus the cuemaker by the body of work he left behind, and by the superlatives used across the world to describe it.
I know Gus the man by the son he raised to care for his family and friends. Steadfast and honorable.
Surely he has cause to be proud

To Barry's family and to Mr Destefano, I offer my condolences

George Fels

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know by now how much your dad meant to me, Barry. Happy birthday to him, and happy holidays to you. You can console yourself with the knowledge that Gus may well be the last cue maker we'll see who will be universally perceived as the best in the world. Best regards, GF

Mowem down

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my time in billiards has been short, so i know little about your dad. one thing i do know is a true meassure of a man is the respect his kids have for them. I would say from this thread one could say "your dad was a great father, and one fine of a cue maker.." few people get to leave the world richer than the found it, your father has been one of those few

shortly i will be spending time with another great man who knew your father well, when those few days are over Ill have some good stories to tell my kids, about two great men and the cues they made.

Happy birthday Gus...

Cuaba

Livin Large
Silver Member
Barry,
Great to see you on the forum.

Happy Birthday to your father and Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

NoShow33

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Happy "B" Day Gus. Barry I did not know your dad but I have talked with you on several occasions and I know the admiration you have for your dad.

Happy Holidays and may God Bless.

Bob Thompson

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
szamboti said:
It's a tough day for me.

Barry I didn't know your Dad that well, but he always treated me like a dear friend, even though I never ordered a cue from him. He was cut from the same cloth as the recently departed Al Conte. Both good men who went about their business without fanfare, just trying to be the best they could be at their chosen profession.

Your Dad was just as well respected as a man when he was alive. ALL the players would go up and say hi to him when he showed his face at a tournament, whether they played with his cue or not. He would usually stand off to the side somewhere and just visit with people. The last time I saw him was at Resorts in Atlantic City. I think you were right by his side, and he stood in one spot for what seemed like hours just greeting people.

He loved to be around pool and the pool players. But I guess you know that. I've owned two Balabushkas and two Szambotis in my life. I wish I had just one now. They were probably the best playing cues I ever owned.

HollyWood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Happy bithday gus,best wishes to barry

I feel your pain barry,the holidays are nothing to celebrate when your parents aren't here. It isn't fair. I have seen the old picture ,tv clip of your father and his cues on the table with a special cue for Steve Mizerak-900.dollars in 1968. I have 2 posters from Japan of Powerhouse billiards with Your different yrs collections on each,1999,2000. Unbeliveable looking cues. Aki at brians in Hawaii, let me hold brians Szam- and he told the story it would be worth 100,000. someday (it was in 1995,he had turned down 60,000.from Lucky. Hope to meet you someday sir, you are a cuemaker I wish to see be for I die- mark

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
szamboti said:
It's a tough day for me.

Sorry I didnt see this until now.

You dad was the best in the trade and he is alive through his work and you today, when ever you hand someone a Gus their eyes light up-no matter how many years they been around pool.

my very best

eric petersen

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
George Fels said:
You can console yourself with the knowledge that Gus may well be the last cue maker we'll see who will be universally perceived as the best in the world. Best regards, GF

Those are words of great wisdom!!

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
....belated wishes

szamboti said:
It's a tough day for me.

Barry,

You are a very lucky man. It's tough when your father passes away too young (my dad was 49) but getting to share that kind of a relationship is special. That's not something that all people can say they had. Thank you for keeping Gus's legacy alive and continuing the tradition so that other generations can also experience the pleasure of owning and playing with a Szamboti cue....they are indeed magical. :smile:

Happy holidays and best wishes for you and your family, Barry.

Sean

CueCaps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Late Entry

Hi Barry,
Happy Birthday to your Dad.
Happy Birthday Gus.
I know how you feel. My Dad 's birthday was a few days ago..
He passed away too.
Never can thank them enough..Their generation went thru some hard times and I'm thankful they were what they were. Great Dads..
I just saw this Thread too..
Sorry.
And after all you did for me..:eek:
Alton

Attachments

• Szamboti Clock 1.jpg
    Szamboti Clock 1.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 175