The ANY & ALL Interesting Observations - 2019 Int'l 9b

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
here's where you can share anything odd or other observations fromn this Int'l 9b event.

I'll get it rolling with Danny Olson's Alfalfa hairdo. I'm not familiar with him so not sure if this is something new or if he's been wearing this 'do' for a while.

2nd one I thought was interesting was Albin not wearing one single sponsor patch, just his under armor sport suit. fyi, he's closely examining his tip that just miscued.

3rd is the polar opposite of Albin in every way, huge personality, smiling a lot and can't fit many more sponsor patches on his shirt is Japan's Oi. btw, in his post match interview he called Ra Hanna "Mike Tyson" and made a gesture like he would bite his ear. He is def the anti-Albin. :grin-square:

what are your observations?

best,
brian kc

Attachments

• 2019USOpen-Olson-hair.jpg
    2019USOpen-Olson-hair.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 999
  • 2019USOpen-Oschan-tip.jpg
    2019USOpen-Oschan-tip.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 996
  • 2019USOpen-Oi.jpg
    2019USOpen-Oi.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 998

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Brian, looks like Albin has two heads...does he argue with himself?

74D1687A-1760-4C6A-A446-9F8CD23085E7.jpeg

pt...on the way to Norfolk....middle of William Penn’s Commonwealth

4254361E-7982-4CF9-A945-6D3A04DF917D.jpeg

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Did Chris Melling and Jayson kiss? :grin-square: :lovies:

https://youtu.be/Wzl8l2BRn9Q?t=355

I really appreciated how Chris and Darren sat right behind their buddy and rooted him on for the win.

Another observation was that I heard Danny Deliberto, more than once, say "I remember when that was a hard shot" referring to how these elite players of today are taking on extremely tough shots like they're no big deal.

I have to agree that in pool, like many other sports, the athletes of today (yes, I'm including today's pool players as athletes) are up a few notches from what they were 40, 50 60+ years ago.

How about pro football linebackers and DE's running 4.4 & 4.5 40's? :eek:

What do you think Irving Crane would have thought of Jayson's final rack with 2 jump shots, a jacked-up spear in and a huge power draw into perfect shape on the 8b?

They also commented how if you were shooting in the high 800's and, toward the end, even the low 900's you weren't gonna advance.

Yep, times, they are a changing. or actually have. :wink:

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I really appreciated how Chris and Darren sat right behind their buddy and rooted him on for the win.

Another observation was that I heard Danny Deliberto, more than once, say "I remember when that was a hard shot" referring to how these elite players of today are taking on extremely tough shots like they're no big deal.

I have to agree that in pool, like many other sports, the athletes of today (yes, I'm including today's pool players as athletes) are up a few notches from what they were 40, 50 60+ years ago.

What do you thing Irving Crane would have thought of Jayson's final rack with 2 jump shots, a jacked-up spear in and a huge power draw into perfect shape on the 8b?

They also commented how if you were shooting in the high 800's and toward the end even the low 900's you weren't gonna advance.

best,
brian kc

Just based on the matches i watched over the last 2 days. I think players of today are better offensively, but no much on the defensive end.

Many times I saw players completely botch a routine safe.

This could be due to the fact that today's players are so focused on running out, they don't really know what to do when they find a shot they can't actually take on.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Just based on the matches i watched over the last 2 days. I think players of today are better offensively, but no much on the defensive end.

Many times I saw players completely botch a routine safe.

This could be due to the fact that today's players are so focused on running out, they don't really know what to do when they find a shot they can't actually take on.

I think a lot of that comes from the TV table playing differently than the rest of the tables. Safety's have improved dramatically over the years as has kicking safe which was unheard of in the past

bral

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The funniest thing I saw was the expression on Melling's face when Shaw covered his face with a towel at around 12-10 in the final. Mouth open, speechless. (Melling & Appleton were close to his chair providing support during the match) Wish I had a screenshot to share :)

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Here’s something from the BCA dinner that many people were happy to see....
...but not everybody on AZ

B710B980-FF24-48CF-832F-27D510E52E02.jpeg

F7CDDBCE-DA1E-4FEE-BD3F-55DC80239BBF.jpeg

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
At Joe Salazar’s booth, you have two chances of going broke...
...start buying cues....or try playing him on a bar box.

EBC27DFD-928B-4E33-BA57-77FAD7D2990E.jpeg

Sofla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At Joe Salazar’s booth, you have two chances of going broke...
...start buying cues....or try playing him on a bar box.

View attachment 533632

I was a little surprised to see him motor into the elevator in a Little Rascal type scooter. Although, come to think of it, I never saw him otherwise except sitting in front of his cues.

Can he stand or walk enough to play a game? I have no information but that scooter thing is suggestive.

Sofla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some Mika goings on:

So I'm walking down the main stairs and I hear a voice from below, around the corner, saying 'if anyone messes with you, I'll f-ing kill them. You're with me!'

As I turned the corner, it was a clearly unsteady on his feet Mika with a mixed drink sloshing from his lurching gait and an apparently protective friend who said it, who also had one. Mika looked like a professor in a tweed jacket and glasses (I guess after the BCA dinner), and I couldn't recognize his Asian friend exactly, but I think he was another player.

The next night at the bar, he was returning to the table to an orange hair Asian lady, and he said 'I gave them your last name, because mine is too hard.'

Earlier, Wednesday, he and Shane lagged the worst I saw in the tournament. Shane's got only to within a diamond and a half back to the end rail, but Mika's was about a diamond shorter still. Mika's was so bad he swept it up table before it finished rolling. It was so remarkable I took a picture of where Shane's ended up.

I saw the last one on purpose, but the others were random happenstance. No disrespect intended to Mika, just some colorful events to share.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
If you ask Joe Blackburn for a tip....he’s got good advice...or Mooris

D216B4A4-413C-4C7A-9727-5B1990FB3456.jpeg

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Greg told me the night before that he dreaded making a speech....
...but he felt so much honored to be inducted...he wasn’t leaving town.

2D62F9A8-1388-4DD8-93E0-993FF11E91BE.jpeg

He got emotional, he cried, he was embarrassed, and it was the best speech....
...from the heart....everybody was moved.

Now he can go back to being a genius.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
We’ve had threads on AZ about how to handle breaking on your home table...
...my advice has always been DON’T....the old great rooms would not allow rotation or
eightball on their main tables....

Here’s what breaking does to a cloth after a few days....

A6AE5FB6-13A5-4B66-9CE7-E6AD5AE42248.jpeg

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What do you think Irving Crane would have thought of Jayson's final rack with 2 jump shots, a jacked-up spear in and a huge power draw into perfect shape on the 8b?

They also commented how if you were shooting in the high 800's and, toward the end, even the low 900's you weren't gonna advance.

best,
brian kc

I saw the kiss live and it was a brotherly kiss on the cheek....like something from The Godfather. I didn’t think twice about it because I know dem boys are a close nit bunch over there.
Also, watch how Darren and Melling are in the Euro corner in Vegas for the Mosconi Cup cheering on their team. I always respected that. Will Johnny A, Corey and Max be at the Cup sitting behind team USA cheering them on?

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We’ve had threads on AZ about how to handle breaking on your home table...
...my advice has always been DON’T....the old great rooms would not allow rotation or
eightball on their main tables....

Here’s what breaking does to a cloth after a few days....

View attachment 533786

Johnny Cash despised pristine guitars. He believed they should be played and look like they’ve been played. He would slap, kick, pick, hit and play hard. That was his one request of the filmmakers of “Walk the Line” please don’t show me treating the guitar like it’s some special fragile instrument.

The same goes for pool tables. I like the battle scars.