Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page touch of inside. CJ has me hooked
Page 3 of 4 123 4

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
The TIP can be used to aim and make any shot by either pivoting or a parallel shift
Old
  (#31)
CJ Wiley
ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION

CJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Arrow The TIP can be used to aim and make any shot by either pivoting or a parallel shift - 05-10-2020, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas333 View Post
CJ Thanks again for taking time to consider my problem. HE as well.

Yesterday I spent time with TOI and draw. What I did was follow CJ's advise and cue up close to the cloth and then move over a bit to the inside. Previously I was addressing the ball to the inside and then lowering down into a draw position. I found that I was more accurate pocketing balls by addressing the low ball first and then moving a bit inside. Also I used the stun stroke that CJ advised and between these two changes made all the difference.
Thanks much!
That's great!

One thing I want to make sure you're doing because it's essential!

When you're moving the tip slightly to the inside DO NOT move the part of your hand that's firmly secured to the table. Just move the top part of your hand and fingers without moving the foundation.

As you get more advanced only move a "touch" (a hair) to the inside and after 3-5 hours practicing you can start coming down exactly to the TOI tip targeting position. To learn these champion level techniques think about what you're doing, and eventually you will do them subconsciously like I do.

This learning process takes a few weeks of diligent practice, if you're having trouble I can help either in writing or I do Face time video lessons as well.

The TIP can be used to aim and make any shot by either pivoting or a parallel shift, in which your hand would move because you'll have to move the tip much farther. I go over all the specifics in my TIP BANKING SECRETS on the website.

Join my Private Road Player Membership and I'll Show You Our Systems, Techniques, and Championship Level Fundamentals Today (for the price of treating me to lunch) @ www.masteringpocketbilliards.com

Old
  (#32)
atlas333
AzB Silver Member
atlas333 has a reputation beyond reputeatlas333 has a reputation beyond reputeatlas333 has a reputation beyond reputeatlas333 has a reputation beyond reputeatlas333 has a reputation beyond reputeatlas333 has a reputation beyond reputeatlas333 has a reputation beyond reputeatlas333 has a reputation beyond reputeatlas333 has a reputation beyond reputeatlas333 has a reputation beyond reputeatlas333 has a reputation beyond repute

05-10-2020, 06:37 PM

CJ
I am going to practice this until the lockdown ends. I feel like I am totally getting it. I start tryi g to drop down directly to my TOI spot this week.
I'menjoying the website.thanks again Paul

Old
  (#33)
CJ Wiley
ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION

CJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond repute

05-12-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
CJ
I am going to practice this until the lockdown ends. I feel like I am totally getting it. I start tryi g to drop down directly to my TOI spot this week.
I'menjoying the website.thanks again Paul
That's great, I can't teach players to drop down to the TOI position as easy as if they go down to the center ball position and then move over to get the feel of how the angles change relative to the tip placement.

Remember, there's the ALIGNMENT position which is either Center to Center or Center to Edge and then there's the AIMING and I recommend using the 3 Part Pocket System and always aiming to the inside of the pocket with the Touch of Inside so that when you "pop" the shot it will contact the center of the pocket.

Doing this will give you a FEEL for the pocket like the champions describe. When I'm playing my best I can feel the object ball locate the pocket like it's got a homing device on it!

Join my Private Road Player Membership and I'll Show You Our Systems, Techniques, and Championship Level Fundamentals Today (for the price of treating me to lunch) @ www.masteringpocketbilliards.com

Hey CJ another question
Old
  (#34)
atlas333
AzB Silver Member
atlas333 has a reputation beyond reputeatlas333 has a reputation beyond reputeatlas333 has a reputation beyond reputeatlas333 has a reputation beyond reputeatlas333 has a reputation beyond reputeatlas333 has a reputation beyond reputeatlas333 has a reputation beyond reputeatlas333 has a reputation beyond reputeatlas333 has a reputation beyond reputeatlas333 has a reputation beyond reputeatlas333 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey CJ another question - 05-13-2020, 01:20 PM

CJ I am making progress. The lockdown is giving me time to practice like I have not been able to since HS.
Yesterday I worked on my PSR and getting down on the shot the same each time. Then I spent at least an hour just hitting the que ball up and down the table trying to create that repeatable stop shot stroke with some pop, that I will use on many of my shots.
I have just done some long slight angle shots and had great results.
Can you give me some basic instructions on how I can best integrate positional spin when needed into this routine?
Paul

a lot of complimentary videos covering a range of topics,
Old
  (#35)
CJ Wiley
ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION

Arrow a lot of complimentary videos covering a range of topics, - 05-13-2020, 04:54 PM

Quote:
CJ I am making progress. The lockdown is giving me time to practice like I have not been able to since HS.
Yesterday I worked on my PSR and getting down on the shot the same each time. Then I spent at least an hour just hitting the que ball up and down the table trying to create that repeatable stop shot stroke with some pop, that I will use on many of my shots.
I have just done some long slight angle shots and had great results.
Can you give me some basic instructions on how I can best integrate positional spin when needed into this routine?
Paul
My You Tube Channels have a lot of complimentary videos covering a range of topics, click below to see one I picked for you, I'd also recommend looking through my others asap.

https://youtu.be/GObwHCsWZLo

Old
  (#36)
zcrash
Diligent Home Player
zcrash is on a distinguished road

05-17-2020, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Wiley View Post
The rule of thumb for 'Touch of Inside' exceptions.

1) When you have to change the angle after contacting the cushion, spin is necessary.

2) When you are close to the object ball and want to "throw" the ball in, the touch of inside will sometimes undercut the shot, and I'd recommend a touch of Outside.

3) When you need to curve the cueball it's necessary to use spin and usually a slower shot speed.

4) Banking, kicking and caroms, I have a TIP Banking Secrets portion of my web site that is 43 chapters on banking every type shot and how to pivot, and parallel shift to do it.

There are three other factors in every shot that we must calculate.

1) Shot, or Cue Speed - I encourage also a consistent tempo, with a slight pause on the backswing to really feel that your shot speed is consistent,

2) Cue Ball Targeting - we must decide where we are going to aim ON the cue ball for every shot, I recommend cueing slightly to the inside, and a tip below center on as many shots as you can to develop a strong reference for how THAT type shot reacts.

3) How we aim before we go down on the shot, I recommend using a Center/Center or Center/Edge alignment FIRST.....then create the angle you desire based on that starting point. Your subconscious will end up doing this for you, however, it must have a starting point, or Reference point. The aiming should be done above the shot visually, when you get down to shoot you are better off in a touch/feel mode and "feel the shot with your eyes".

These are some points to consider and even if you aren't using a consistent TOI or TOO, it's still important to understand how to create great tempo. Also there are many aiming techniques but most champions use what I call a Connection Aiming System which I posted last week on the forum, it's easy to find.
This is a great comment by CJ--calling out the exceptions is probably more noteworthy than extolling the virtues (which I am really starting to appreciate). One other exception I would add to the list is cutting when the OB is just off the rail (and more than half a diamond from the pocket). TOI (or center-line, for that matter) will take the OB into the rail, and the shot is lost. Gearing, or even TOO (depending on angle and distance), is the best option in this case, at least for me.

Last edited by zcrash; 05-17-2020 at 02:41 AM.

Old
  (#37)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

05-17-2020, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcrash View Post
...cutting when the OB is just off the rail (and more than half a diamond from the pocket). TOI (or center-line, for that matter) will take the OB into the rail, and the shot is lost. Gearing, or even TOO (depending on angle and distance), is the best option in this case, at least for me.
Why not simply aim for a slightly thinner cut to accommodate the throw?

And why does it matter that the OB is close to the rail? With that cut angle you get the same amount of throw anywhere on the table.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#38)
zcrash
Diligent Home Player

05-17-2020, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
Why not simply aim for a slightly thinner cut to accommodate the throw?

And why does it matter that the OB is close to the rail? With that cut angle you get the same amount of throw anywhere on the table.
You may very well be right on this (I'm no physics major), but the margin for error is certainly reduced, at least for me. Now when the OB is actually touching the rail, I generally shoot into the rail with inside (different than TOI), if enough angle. If not enough angle, then I'm just hosed (not good enough to be otherwise ).

Old
  (#39)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

05-17-2020, 05:51 AM

Quote:
You may very well be right on this (I'm no physics major), but the margin for error is certainly reduced, at least for me. Now when the OB is actually touching the rail, I generally shoot into the rail with inside (different than TOI), if enough angle. If not enough angle, then I'm just hosed (not good enough to be otherwise ).
Whatever works for you, I guess...

Hitting off center adds variables - I like to minimize variables.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#40)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day

05-17-2020, 06:31 PM

Quote:
...it's not possible to see the center of the pocket zone once your shot isn't straight in.
Hmm...

I have no trouble seeing the pocket's "zones" with any cut angle - I practice it.

pj <- sometimes I even hit 'em
chgo

Archer is one player that will walk over and look from the object ball perspective
Old
  (#41)
CJ Wiley
ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION

Lightbulb Archer is one player that will walk over and look from the object ball perspective - 05-17-2020, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Hmm...

I have no trouble seeing the pocket's "zones" with any cut angle - I practice it.

pj <- sometimes I even hit 'em
chgo
The perception you have from the shooting position doesn't allow the necessary perspective from the object ball to the pocket unless you're straight in (or very close).

Johnny Archer is one player that will walk over and look from the visual perspective of the object ball and then back to shoot. I was curious why the did that so I ask him when we were in London at the Mosconi Cup, thinking he might be imagining a "contact point" on the object ball.

He informed me he was looking to feed his mind the shot from the object ball perspective. This obviously works well for him, but players like myself and Efren will rarely do this unless there's another ball in the object ball's line.

My aiming point is the inside of the pocket, I can see this point from anywhere because it's not from the object ball perspective, it's from the shooting position perspective. Then, I use a Touch of Inside to cut the ball slightly thinner and calibrate the shot to hit the center.

If I don't contact the center of the pocket I can quickly get the feedback I need to make an adjustment necessary to hit the center on the next shot.

This technique will give the player more confidence because they can focus on making a good stroke with a consistent tempo. I'd say most times players "dog it," is due to being tentative and decelerating, which often leads to under-cutting the object ball.

The Game is the Teacher

"We Only Recognize What We're Familiar With"
Old
  (#42)
CJ Wiley
ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION

Thumbs up "We Only Recognize What We're Familiar With" - 05-17-2020, 07:48 PM

Quote:
This is a great comment by CJ--calling out the exceptions is probably more noteworthy than extolling the virtues (which I am really starting to appreciate). One other exception I would add to the list is cutting when the OB is just off the rail (and more than half a diamond from the pocket). TOI (or center-line, for that matter) will take the OB into the rail, and the shot is lost. Gearing, or even TOO (depending on angle and distance), is the best option in this case, at least for me.
Those type shots are easy using a Touch of Inside, just make sure you don't spin the cueball. The cueball will twist slightly, but I don't think of it as spinning, bank pool players use this type stroke to "hold" the banks.

When you say the "shot is lost," I don't know what that means, are you over-cutting it?

When using TOI it's amazing how many shots you can align and shoot like they are straight in, even when there's an angle. Once the shot is a half ball hit, your reference should shift from Center/Center to Center/Edge for your alignment above the shot.

My advice to everyone is to hit every shot with a Touch (just a hair) of inside on every shot for 3 hours, and still try to play shape as usual. Of course the exceptions will be as mentioned before, just try to hit EVERY shot with TOI.

This is what starts to open up your mind to types of shots you may not have known existed. "We Only Recognize What We're Familiar With" so become familiar with the TOI shots asap, you'll be glad you did.

Old
  (#43)
zcrash
Diligent Home Player

05-17-2020, 08:22 PM

Quote:
When you say the "shot is lost," I don't know what that means, are you over-cutting it?
I mean, if I catch the OB a touch thick, then the OB brushes the rail, comes off the rail, and misses if there is any distance at all to the pocket. In other words, when the OB is almost on the rail, I don't have the same latitude for slightly over-cutting or under-cutting as I do for the same cut angle and OB away from the rail. At least, that's my feeling, but perhaps it's just a sighting thing for me...

Old
  (#44)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day

05-18-2020, 06:00 AM

Quote:
...when the OB is almost on the rail, I don't have the same latitude for slightly over-cutting or under-cutting as I do for the same cut angle and OB away from the rail. At least, that's my feeling, but perhaps it's just a sighting thing for me...
You can slightly overcut the OB even when itís frozen to the rail (because the rail compresses enough to allow it). My advice is to hit the shot as if the rail isnít there.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#45)
zcrash
Diligent Home Player

05-18-2020, 09:52 AM

Quote:
You can slightly overcut the OB even when itís frozen to the rail (because the rail compresses enough to allow it). My advice is to hit the shot as if the rail isnít there.
Thanks, PJ, I understand what you're saying. As I mentioned above, I do shoot into the rail with inside spin for balls that are frozen to it, but that is different from TOI, at least to me. For balls just off the rail, there are cases where you can't get the cue ball to the proper contact point (due to cushion interference) needed for a cut that accounts for the throw (which will be there for TOI, as well as anything less than gearing english). This is when I choose to shoot with outside english instead. Definitely depends on the exact position, of course. I got onto this thread, though, because I am generally working TOI into my game, and it's really helping me!

I appreciate the responses from both you and CJ.

Page 3 of 4 123 4

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: