warped butt

etimmons

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A friend bought an audrick cue 3 months ago. It was straight until last week and it developed a warp at the joint. It was stored properly in a justis case in 72 degrees. Can anyone give me an idea why it would warp? thanks

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
etimmons said:
A friend bought an audrick cue 3 months ago. It was straight until last week and it developed a warp at the joint. It was stored properly in a justis case in 72 degrees. Can anyone give me an idea why it would warp? thanks

I believe Audrick cues are made in the Philippines. It is common for some of the cues made in the Philippines and shipped to the US to develop warping problems due to the climate change.

Kelly

FLYINGSNAIL

Koo Cues
Silver Member
just want to say thank you.....

Kelly_Guy said:
I believe Audrick cues are made in the Philippines. It is common for some of the cues made in the Philippines and shipped to the US to develop warping problems due to the climate change.

Kelly
sorry not to mean to be high jacking this thread. Just want to thank you Kelly for sending those BR wood squares to me. Depending on what type of sealer they used or how fast or offten they turn these cues?

Last edited:

FLYINGSNAIL

Koo Cues
Silver Member
Maybe because of the sealing they used on woods????

Kelly_Guy said:

Kelly
So far all the Philippines cues that I see most of them are warp butts or shafts.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
:D
Kelly_Guy said:

Kelly

Tap!!!!!! Tap!!!!!!!! Tap!!! Right on Target.

The only way to correct the problem is to send to the Philippines. Believe it or not the cue will straighten back out once it gets home and readjusts to the Humidity there!!!!!!!! Believe it or not!!!!

If the person really loves the cue except for the warp, they could also consider moving there with their new cue!!!!!:D

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FLYINGSNAIL said:
sorry not to mean to be high jacking this thread. Just want to thank you Kelly for sending those BR wood squares to me. Depending on what type of sealer they used or how fast or offten they turn these cues?

You are welcome. I wondered if you would ever get them given the holiday season.

It could be that the wood was not seasoned or was turned too fast. It could also just be the climate change. Some cues made here in the US and sent to the philipinnes might warp as well. A sophisticated climate control mechanism used to store the wood before sealing would help. If a cuemaker in the philipinnes is going to make and ship a cue to the US, he could store it in the environment during construction it will eventually be living in, then seal it, finish and ship.

Kelly

brianna187

BRIANNA SINCE 1988
Silver Member
i bought one cheap at the usopen this year it has been here for 2 years still perfect i got very lucky it has heavy ivory a real super super sharp cue i just took the cue out after readinf this its still ok

bandido

Player Power!
Silver Member
manwon said:
:D

Tap!!!!!! Tap!!!!!!!! Tap!!! Right on Target.

The only way to correct the problem is to send to the Philippines. Believe it or not the cue will straighten back out once it gets home and readjusts to the Humidity there!!!!!!!! Believe it or not!!!!

If the person really loves the cue except for the warp, they could also consider moving there with their new cue!!!!!:D

That may be a problem, looking at it from the other end, since homeland security tightened visa issuance.

A number of US made cues too warp here in Asia. I know from first-hand knowledge since I have an increase in repair of US-made custom and production cues. Repair work on these cues, specially ivory inlayed, have been diverted to shops other than their US origin ever since US FWS tightened their enforcement of the ivory trade laws. Using Nelsonite too isn't a guarantee that a cue won't warp.

Regarding the Audrick cue in question:
If the cue wobbles only when rolled while attached together then you can try getting the joint faces refaced and sealed.

Last edited:

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
coring?

One reason for coring is to reduce the chance of warpage. How much extra work/cost would it add to these cues to core them as part of the production process? They would still be cheap cues, i think.
Did the shafts also warp? I would think that is the bigger problem for these overseas cues.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
bandido said:
That may be a problem, looking at it from the other end, since homeland security tightened visa issuance.

A number of US made cues too warp here in Asia. I know from first-hand knowledge since I have an increase in repair of US-made custom and production cues. Repair work on these cues, specially ivory inlayed, have been diverted to shops other than their US origin ever since US FWS tightened their enforcement of the ivory trade laws. Using Nelsonite too isn't a guarantee that a cue won't warp.

Regarding the Audrick cue in question:
If the cue wobbles only when rolled while attached together then you can try getting the joint faces refaced and sealed.

My point is not against Craftsmanship from the makers, their work is pretty nice. The entire problem stems from the difference in the humity / moisture fact in the different locations.

I have no solution to over come this problem long term, however, wood stablizers are certainly not the answer.

I truly mean no disrespect with my statements!!!!!!

bandido

Player Power!
Silver Member
manwon said:
My point is not against Craftsmanship from the makers, their work is pretty nice. The entire problem stems from the difference in the humity / moisture fact in the different locations.

I have no solution to over come this problem long term, however, wood stablizers are certainly not the answer.

I truly mean no disrespect with my statements!!!!!!
Sorry Craig, I guess my poor brain was just not as receptive to some ribbing yesterday. I normally just let all the the pot shots, on Philippine cues, zing by. I'm sure others here too do so as they're aware of the facts.

Asian cues to North America and vice-versa experience the same problem
but we do recognize and accept the fact that modern cue art and public interest in collecting such was made popular by the American custom cuemaking community. Thus no one here really wants to cut off their nose in spite of their face.

Asia, which includes the Philippines, at present is the biggest consumer of this artform. You may think that the Philippines is third world and poor but you'll be surprised to see fine examples of American cueart here. Quite a few collectors/users, here in the Philippines, Japan and Taiwan, have confided with me their wavering enthusiasm in their hobby and fear of losing out on their investment. I understand their concern and reason for trusting such info to me and this really makes me be extra careful in explaining to allay their fears.

Consumers here are not as fortunate as those in the United States. In the United States, the saying "You get what you pay for" rings truer.

etimmons

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
coring

misterpoole said:
One reason for coring is to reduce the chance of warpage. How much extra work/cost would it add to these cues to core them as part of the production process? They would still be cheap cues, i think.
Did the shafts also warp? I would think that is the bigger problem for these overseas cues.

this cue is cored.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
bandido said:
Sorry Craig, I guess my poor brain was just not as receptive to some ribbing yesterday. I normally just let all the the pot shots, on Philippine cues, zing by. I'm sure others here too do so as they're aware of the facts.

Asian cues to North America and vice-versa experience the same problem
but we do recognize and accept the fact that modern cue art and public interest in collecting such was made popular by the American custom cuemaking community. Thus no one here really wants to cut off their nose in spite of their face.

Asia, which includes the Philippines, at present is the biggest consumer of this artform. You may think that the Philippines is third world and poor but you'll be surprised to see fine examples of American cueart here. Quite a few collectors/users, here in the Philippines, Japan and Taiwan, have confided with me their wavering enthusiasm in their hobby and fear of losing out on their investment. I understand their concern and reason for trusting such info to me and this really makes me be extra careful in explaining to allay their fears.

Consumers here are not as fortunate as those in the United States. In the United States, the saying "You get what you pay for" rings truer.

Edwin, I was in the US Army for 23 years, I have lived all over the world, I have seen third world countries first hand. I have been to the Philippines, Japan, Thailand, and I lived in South Korea for six years. I truly love the Asian Culture, and I live it on a Daily basis. My wife is from Korean - Chinese decent and we have been married for 21 Years.

Thanks very much for the reply, and again I am sorry if my earlier post came off wrong.

Happy New Years Edwin!!!!!!