Mother drills

Gio Sr.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my searches I keep seeing "mother drills" over and over.

What to I have to do to find out what the mother drills are?

Thanks

RonsTheOne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Talk to Scott Lee or Randyg , they are both members on here.......Ron

Last edited:

Mark Avlon

Northwest Pool School
Silver Member
They are a set of drills that target key SPF skills. To get the most out of them, you have to learn SPF.

Mark Avlon

Northwest Pool School
Silver Member
SPF is a simplified and structured approach to mechanics and routines that are easily learned and provide accuracy and consistency.

There are many SPF instructors on this forum and around the country.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In my searches I keep seeing "mother drills" over and over.
What to I have to do to find out what the mother drills are?
Thanks
For some very basic drills to test and develop your fundamentals, see the March column in the set (UPDATED) http://www.sfbilliards.com/articles/2010.pdf
Of course working on these with a good instructor is the most effective way, but you may find solo work useful.

Last edited:

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
To get the actual mother drills, you have to have an instruction session, if I recall correctly. As usual, I could very well be wrong, I often am. :p

I've tried to find them, so I could follow along here, as those drills are referenced here often. That does become frustrating, if you read these threads regularly.

The drills that bob jewett recommended are quite good, at least for this beginner. There's plenty there to keep busy for some time!

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
justadub...Some of the mother drills have been detailed here over the years. They are no "state secret", and to the uninitiated they would seem to serve no real quantative purpose. What they do provide is a clear path to follow in order to create an accurate and repeatable stroke, that is built according to each individual's body dynamics. The secret is knowing how to use them to serve your own purpose, and that is most easily accomplished through a lesson with an SPF instructor.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

To get the actual mother drills, you have to have an instruction session, if I recall correctly. As usual, I could very well be wrong, I often am. :p

I've tried to find them, so I could follow along here, as those drills are referenced here often. That does become frustrating, if you read these threads regularly.

The drills that bob jewett recommended are quite good, at least for this beginner. There's plenty there to keep busy for some time!

Last edited:

Gio Sr.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
justadub...Some of the mother drills have been detailed here over the years. They are no "state secret", and to the uninitiated they would seem to serve no real quantative purpose. What they do provide is a clear path to follow in order to create an accurate and repeatable stroke, that is built according to each individual's body dynamics. The secret is knowing how to use them to serve your own purpose, and that is most easily accomplished through a lesson with an SPF instructor.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Well it looks like I'll just keep bumping around in the dark then. I can't afford lessons.

I doubt anyone starting at my age ever became a pro level player anyway.
I'll just keep having fun.

RWOJO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just having the drills is only a very small part of it.

You really need an instructor to work with you on each one of the drills so you know what you are doing right, what you are doing wrong, and what you should be looking for when you do them on your own. Just a couple lessons with an instructor working on these drills is more than worth the money.

Good luck

DirtyDawg69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking for info on instuctors in MN?

Hi, I was reading this thrad about the mother system and to fing a good instructor, Is there a website or anything that I could find out if there is any of these instructors in my area. Thanks ahead

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depends on what part of the state you're in. Mike Page teaches out of Fargo Billiards, in Fargo ND. Both Randyg and I travel to MN to teach. Email me for more info (PM file is currently too full).

Scott Lee
PBIA Master Instructor
www.poolknowledge.com
email: poolology@aol.com

Hi, I was reading this thrad about the mother system and to fing a good instructor, Is there a website or anything that I could find out if there is any of these instructors in my area. Thanks ahead