A remarkable 3-cushion record

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In the World Cup 3-cushion event in La Baule, France, Dick Jaspers had a very good average with 25 points in 6 innings for a 4.166 average. Sadly for Dick the match was to 40 points and Semih Sayginer -- some of you know him for his artistic billiard talent -- scored 40 points in the same 6 innings for a 6.666 average, setting a new World Cup record for best average.

By inning, Jaspers broke:

Jaspers -- 1 3 8 0 1 12
Sayginer -- 6 7 12 4 9 2 (and out)

Jaspers' run of 12 was with Sayginer needing 2.

There was a little luck involved as Sayginer's run of 12 began with a great big kiss-in.

As Bert Van Manen commented, 40 points is no longer a sufficient test for players at this amazing new level of 3-cushion.

Semih mostly steered clear of fancy shots but he did have one half-masse shot that adjusted the angle of his cue ball after the first collision (point 36). Everything else looked pretty standard -- except for the lack of misses.:)

The match is available on Kozoom.com.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
yes thats correct

and semih, out again at the semi final, he keeps knocking at the door, how long till it opens back up for him

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the World Cup 3-cushion event in La Baule, France, Dick Jaspers had a very good average with 25 points in 6 innings for a 4.166 average. Sadly for Dick the match was to 40 points and Semih Sayginer -- some of you know him for his artistic billiard talent -- scored 40 points in the same 6 innings for a 6.666 average, setting a new World Cup record for best average.

By inning, Jaspers broke:

Jaspers -- 1 3 8 0 1 12
Sayginer -- 6 7 12 4 9 2 (and out)

Jaspers' run of 12 was with Sayginer needing 2.

There was a little luck involved as Sayginer's run of 12 began with a great big kiss-in.

As Bert Van Manen commented, 40 points is no longer a sufficient test for players at this amazing new level of 3-cushion.

Semih mostly steered clear of fancy shots but he did have one half-masse shot that adjusted the angle of his cue ball after the first collision (point 36). Everything else looked pretty standard -- except for the lack of misses.:)

The match is available on Kozoom.com.
Bob, what factor(s) do you see influencing these big runs seen in the last few years? Faster/better tables, player knowledge or just what? Seems like averages have jumped quite a bit since Cueleman's hey-day.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bob, what factor(s) do you see influencing these big runs seen in the last few years? Faster/better tables, player knowledge or just what? Seems like averages have jumped quite a bit since Ceulemans' hey-day.

There is a fairly stable pro tour so the players can justify spending more time at it especially the top 12 who are seeded. I think the tables are about the same for a long time. I think there are some new shots. Some players are doing a lot more on position play.

Sofla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, Bob! Remarkable indeed, even over to the incredible side of that scale.

Records are made to be broken, they say, but wow!

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
they said it got very cold for the semi finals and people noticed that semih was struggling with it as the wheather must have been affecting the cloth

i didnt watch semih and ja`s match but i tried to watch martin horn and caudron, but could not they were struggling as well in the semi final round, and it was really long match, alot of misses very unbecoming of those players

even the final match that horn won stalled quite a bit

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
they said it got very cold for the semi finals and people noticed that semih was struggling with it as the weather must have been affecting the cloth

i didn't watch semih and ja`s match but i tried to watch martin horn and caudron, but could not they were struggling as well in the semi final round, and it was really long match, a lot of misses very unbecoming of those players

even the final match that horn won stalled quite a bit

I did notice that most of the people in the audience were wearing winter coats.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glad to see semih has returned with his prior desire to rule.

I know, I am about a decade behind in my pro 3c awareness. They took all the tables away from D.C.!

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Its a little funny they are calling it the best match ever qhen 3 times this yr there have been documented 40 in 4 matches and just a couple weeks back the 40 in 3

Only 1 in official competitiom but that takes nothing away from the others imo

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its a little funny they are calling it the best match ever qhen 3 times this yr there have been documented 40 in 4 matches and just a couple weeks back the 40 in 3

Only 1 in official competitiom but that takes nothing away from the others imo

BIG difference between official match and friendly match/practice session in terms of pressure ;)

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
BIG difference between official match and friendly match/practice session in terms of pressure ;)

When you play this good, something i know notbong about just speculating here, your in a zone and no emotions touch you

Caudron said emotions are bad for billiard player
Good emtions bad ones

When you play without emotions with the talent these guys have is when you see this level

Imo

A single miss in 3c does not mean your finished

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
There is a fairly stable pro tour so the players can justify spending more time at it especially the top 12 who are seeded. I think the tables are about the same for a long time. I think there are some new shots. Some players are doing a lot more on position play.

I've been advocating position play in the USA since 1983!

The BEST player in the world, (Frederic Caudron) plays position on 50-70% of his shot choices!