My FARGO is 489. What does that mean?

megatron69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So last year I started playing a small tournament in north Phoenix because the guy who started it asked me to come and participate. I ended up playing in it about 7 or 8 times last year.

A week ago I played in it for the first time this year. While I was there, several players were talking about their FARGO score/rating? They asked me what mine was, and I said, "I have no idea." The TD overheard and looked me up and told me that I was a 489.

Great. Now, what does "489" mean, exactly?

I know that at one time, many moons ago I was considered a strong BCA 7 to a weak 8. But that in recent years my rating fell to a 6 before I pretty much stopped playing tournaments around town (life/work).

Does 489 mean I'm a strong 4? Or is there some math that I'm missing still?

Thanks for your replies in advance.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Umm, in pool terms, no idea. Otherwise, for a 50 year-old I'd like to think I'm pretty robust, I guess.

I FargoRate, robustness is the number of games reported in their system. If you have less than 200 then your rating isn’t established. Close to 200 is getting accurate. Close to 0 is getting meaningless.

Here’s a comparison chart but these things aren’t apples-to-apples. Fargo is consistent region to region. Other systems aren’t.
https://billiarduniversity.org/documents/BU_Rating_Comparisons.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

megatron69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I FargoRate, robustness is the number of games reported in their system. If you have less than 200 then your rating isn’t established. Close to 200 is getting accurate. Close to 0 is getting meaningless.

Here’s a comparison chart but these things aren’t apples-to-apples. Fargo is consistent region to region. Other systems aren’t.
https://billiarduniversity.org/documents/BU_Rating_Comparisons.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ah. Thanks. I think about 100 games. My brain is telling me about 150 or 160, but at least 100.

megatron69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Okay, I just looked at the link. It looks like I'm still what I thought; a middle-of-the-road 7, probably.

Thanks for the link.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Umm, in pool terms, no idea. Otherwise, for a 50 year-old I'd like to think I'm pretty robust, I guess.

Great response, I had no idea what robustness was in terms of Fargo rate, but after seeing what it meant, your post was entertaining in a way.

Don't mind me, I'm the village idiot, welcome to AZ :D

megatron69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great response, I had no idea what robustness was in terms of Fargo rate, but after seeing what it meant, your post was entertaining in a way.

Don't mind me, I'm the village idiot, welcome to AZ :D

Thanks. To be honest, my initial thought wasn't terribly clean; this one seemed like it would play better.

And thanks for the welcome. 'Preciate it.

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It means you would spot me 1 per 10pt game or a race of 6 to 9 with decent odds, guessing 2 - 1?

Lets dance...

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I haven’t read all the results but you are not likely to win the U.S. Open nine ball tournament .....:D

megatron69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven’t read all the results but you are not likely to win the U.S. Open nine ball tournament .....:D

Oh, I agree, not likely. Give me a couple shots of single malt, and I might break the odds though . . .:grin:

megatron69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It means you would spot me 1 per 10pt game or a race of 6 to 9 with decent odds, guessing 2 - 1?

Lets dance...

Haha, why do I get the feeling you're hedging greatly in your favor? Doesn't matter anyway, I gave up gambling a long time ago.

I might be interested for a couple beers though . . .

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is some info that might help quantify where your 489 sits relative to others.

We have 144 players in our league with established Fargo ratings.
The high Fargo rating in our league is 681.
The low Fargo rating in our league is 67.
The average Fargo rating in our league is 443.3.
The median Fargo rating in our league is 450.

So a 489 would be definitely be above average in our league.
About 50th out of 144.
Hope that helps.

Chris

megatron69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is some info that might help quantify where your 489 sits relative to others.

We have 144 players in our league with established Fargo ratings.
The high Fargo rating in our league is 681.
The low Fargo rating in our league is 67.
The average Fargo rating in our league is 443.3.
The median Fargo rating in our league is 450.

So a 489 would be definitely be above average in our league.
About 50th out of 144.
Hope that helps.

Chris

Thanks, Chris. I'm guessing that after this year my FARGO will probably drop a bit (I don't get to practice consistently anymore/plus injuries, etc.), but at least I can kind of compare my FARGO to something I'm more familiar with now.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So last year I started playing a small tournament in north Phoenix because the guy who started it asked me to come and participate. I ended up playing in it about 7 or 8 times last year.

A week ago I played in it for the first time this year. While I was there, several players were talking about their FARGO score/rating? They asked me what mine was, and I said, "I have no idea." The TD overheard and looked me up and told me that I was a 489.

Great. Now, what does "489" mean, exactly?

I know that at one time, many moons ago I was considered a strong BCA 7 to a weak 8. But that in recent years my rating fell to a 6 before I pretty much stopped playing tournaments around town (life/work).

Does 489 mean I'm a strong 4? Or is there some math that I'm missing still?

Thanks for your replies in advance.

If you are 489 in Phoenix , you would probably be 589 anywhere else, there are so many strong players out there it is stupid

AF pool guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are 489 in Phoenix , you would probably be 589 anywhere else, there are so many strong players out there it is stupid

Nope, exactly wrong. A 489 in Phoenix is the same as a 489 in NYC, is equally to a 489 in St. Louis etc...

Doesn’t matter where you’re from 489 means SVB can spot you 8 games in a race to 9 and still be the favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

megatron69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nope, exactly wrong. A 489 in Phoenix is the same as a 489 in NYC, is equally to a 489 in St. Louis etc...

Doesn’t matter where you’re from 489 means SVB can spot you 8 games in a race to 9 and still be the favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, so if I understand this correctly, the idea behind the FARGO thing is to make ratings across the country (maybe the world?) completely transferable, right?

Not like how it used to be, when I could be a 6 here, a 7 in STL, an 8 in NE, and so on.