Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page My FARGO is 489. What does that mean?
Page 3 of 4 123 4

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
Johnny Rosato
AzB Silver Member
Johnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

04-11-2019, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooker Theory View Post
Great response, I had no idea what robustness was in terms of Fargo rate, but after seeing what it meant, your post was entertaining in a way.

Don't mind me, I'm the village idiot, welcome to AZ
You ain't the best village idiot! lol

Fargo Rate
Old
  (#32)
dimeshooter
AzB Silver Member
dimeshooter has a reputation beyond reputedimeshooter has a reputation beyond reputedimeshooter has a reputation beyond reputedimeshooter has a reputation beyond reputedimeshooter has a reputation beyond reputedimeshooter has a reputation beyond reputedimeshooter has a reputation beyond reputedimeshooter has a reputation beyond reputedimeshooter has a reputation beyond reputedimeshooter has a reputation beyond reputedimeshooter has a reputation beyond repute

Fargo Rate - 04-11-2019, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hang-the-9 View Post
489 is a C+ player, you are one level off. Which is about a 6/7 in APA 9 ball if one is not sandbagging. I don't play in APA but my brother in law does, he is a bit better than me and he is maxed out in APA, his Fargo was 599. I have had people tell me I would be at least an 8 in APA and I am a 550.
Not according to the Fargo rating explanation.
Attached Images

Old
  (#33)
Maniac
2manyQ's
Maniac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

04-11-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimeshooter View Post
Is that APA rating for 8-ball or 9-ball? It makes a difference, but I can only assume that because the rating only goes up to 7 that they are using the 8-ball rating.

Maniac

Playing cues: 2 Larry Vigus 60" customs, Jacoby D11 w/314-2
Break/jump cues: Larry Vigus 60"dedicated break, Jerico Stinger, Jacoby jump cue
Cases: JB Ultimate Rugged 3x6, 2 Sterling Wave 4x8's, Sterling butterfly

"I try to think, but nothing happens!" Curly Howard

Old
  (#34)
ctyhntr
RIP Kelly
ctyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond repute

04-11-2019, 08:41 AM

Yes, as long as the Fargo system has enough match history (robustness) on you, then your Fargo rating is universal. Meaning 489 in Arizona is the same as 489 in the Philippines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by megatron69 View Post
Okay, so if I understand this correctly, the idea behind the FARGO thing is to make ratings across the country (maybe the world?) completely transferable, right?

Not like how it used to be, when I could be a 6 here, a 7 in STL, an 8 in NE, and so on.

My ego is writing checks that my stroke can't cash.

Old
  (#35)
alstl
AzB Silver Member
alstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond repute

04-11-2019, 09:48 AM

My Fargo rating is 0 so if you are 489 it means in a 14.1 game to 500 you have to spot me 489 balls.

Old
  (#36)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

04-11-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimeshooter View Post
Don't know what that rating scale is based on, but it's not the DCBA rating I am familiar with. I go by D being able to run 1-2 balls with ball in hand, C 3-4, B 5-7, A 7+, basically playing the ghost ability, along with some things based on table knowledge and consistency to divide things to the +- ranges.

Those MN ratings need to be shifted over one rank to the left to be correct, whatever MN ratings are.

Fargo matches those with 300s, 400s, 500s and 600s with the 700-800 being Open (Or A++ depending on how you rate things) and Pro levels.

200s can be considered D players as well, or "beginners".

I know for a fact that you can be an APA 7 in 9 ball and not be a top A player. An A- can be an APA 7 easily. If you just go by that chart you would be an A+ or higher as an APA 7. As long as you are not sandbagging that is.

I'm a 550 Fargo, that chart puts me in solid A level, which I know I am not. I don't run out racks easily even with an open table, my beating the ghost stops at 7 balls. Since I know I am a B+, maybe A- at my best, an under 500 would have to be at best a B- in the 480,490 range, but is probably a C+.

This ofcourse assumes we are all using the same rating scale. I have seen B players called C players in some tournaments, but that is probably from just cheating players and no one policing the ratings rather than someone thinking a B level player is a C. It's all common sense, if a beginner is a D, then a C only has a bit more knowledge. If someone calls a player that can run out 5 balls a C, when a D player is someone that is just learning to play, that is just a lack of reasoning. That means you have B players that can run out racks and A players that can play even with world class players. Just logical progressions there.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Last edited by hang-the-9; 04-11-2019 at 12:24 PM.

Old
  (#37)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member
jrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond repute

04-11-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstl View Post
My Fargo rating is 0 so if you are 489 it means in a 14.1 game to 500 you have to spot me 489 balls.
Same here, mine is 0 as well. I think we may be in trouble.

I knew a fellow that thought he was a good boxer because he was in a position to befriend a lot of "professional boxers". It cost him azzwhippens till he realized he wasn't what he thought/wished he was.

Do you know anyone like the "wannabe" boxer in the pool world?

Old
  (#38)
Koop
AzB Silver Member
Koop has a reputation beyond reputeKoop has a reputation beyond reputeKoop has a reputation beyond reputeKoop has a reputation beyond reputeKoop has a reputation beyond reputeKoop has a reputation beyond reputeKoop has a reputation beyond reputeKoop has a reputation beyond reputeKoop has a reputation beyond reputeKoop has a reputation beyond reputeKoop has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 78612

04-11-2019, 12:21 PM

I would consider a 489, based on guys with similar handicaps in my area, to be a high C, low B.

Koop - probably wrong

Old
  (#39)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

04-11-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koop View Post
I would consider a 489, based on guys with similar handicaps in my area, to be a high C, low B.

Koop - probably wrong
No you are right, because that is what I think also hehe

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Old
  (#40)
couldnthinkof01
AzB Silver Member
couldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond repute

04-11-2019, 02:10 PM

Heres how I see it.
True C tournament
475- threat to cash
500- threat to win
True B tournament
530- threat to cash
550/575- threat to win
True A
600- threat to cash
630- threat to win
True AA
650- threat to cash
680- threat to win
True master/ open
700- threat to cash
730/750- threat to win
750 and up= pro

Old
  (#41)
gxman
AzB Silver Member
gxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond repute

04-11-2019, 02:26 PM

Are there players that sandbag in league to purposely carry a low Fargo? Makes it easy to get into money matches to the unknown that think they're stealing.

Old
  (#42)
couldnthinkof01
AzB Silver Member
couldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond repute

04-11-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gxman View Post
Are there players that sandbag in league to purposely carry a low Fargo? Makes it easy to get into money matches to the unknown that think they're stealing.
If you cant tell someone is hiding their speed in the first set you have no business playing strangers.

Also thats why its called gambling.

Old
  (#43)
couldnthinkof01
AzB Silver Member

04-11-2019, 02:54 PM

Playing strangers 101:
*Take the amount your willing to lose
set it aside. It no longer belongs to you.
Best you can hope for is to win it back.
*Divide this amount by 5 (gives you time to evaluate your
situation.)
* You should be at least an "A" player.
* Be respectful
* Everyone must POST
*Play your "Full speed"
*Watch the "mans" footwork and patterns
*As truthfully as you can evaluate your first 2 sets
*Find a way to extract the mans cash( in a sportsmanlike way)
*Dont play @$$holes or dip$#!ts.
* Enjoy yourself

Old
  (#44)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member

04-11-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by couldnthinkof01 View Post
Playing strangers 101:
*Take the amount your willing to lose
set it aside. It no longer belongs to you.
Best you can hope for is to win it back.
*Divide this amount by 5 (gives you time to evaluate your
situation.)
* You should be at least an "A" player.
* Be respectful
* Everyone must POST
*Play your "Full speed"
*Watch the "mans" footwork and patterns
*As truthfully as you can evaluate your first 2 sets
*Find a way to extract the mans cash( in a sportsmanlike way)
*Dont play @$$holes or dip$#!ts.
* Enjoy yourself
is all I got to say, well stated. Except second to last one, that will cut in half your possible games at many pool halls.

Old
  (#45)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member

04-11-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gxman View Post
Probably not specifically for gambling or tournaments later, but same as any other league. Most players are not "unknown" in their area and those that would play some player for money should be aware enough to check on them. A quick internet search will show you who cashed in what event. You see some guy winning a Predator tour stop in NY from an article on AZB, you have some idea of how they play.

And those players not aware of the higher end pool world would not know what Fargo is, they just plop their $10 at the bar table like they would against any ole' player.

Page 3 of 4 123 4

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: