Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Do you remember your first pool hall?
Page 2 of 3 12 3

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
RandyinHawaii
AzB Silver Member

RandyinHawaii has a reputation beyond reputeRandyinHawaii has a reputation beyond reputeRandyinHawaii has a reputation beyond reputeRandyinHawaii has a reputation beyond reputeRandyinHawaii has a reputation beyond reputeRandyinHawaii has a reputation beyond reputeRandyinHawaii has a reputation beyond reputeRandyinHawaii has a reputation beyond reputeRandyinHawaii has a reputation beyond reputeRandyinHawaii has a reputation beyond reputeRandyinHawaii has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

03-24-2020, 09:39 PM

Mine was in a small town of about 400 people. Folks had/ still have ranch about 6 miles away. I would go once in awhile with my dad, but mostly with my great grandfather when I went to visit him. Around early 60s. It had two 9 foot pool tables and one snooker table. Of course I was no allowed anywhere near the snooker table😊

Really good memories.

Old
  (#17)
Bic D
AzB Silver Member
Bic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond repute

03-24-2020, 10:20 PM

The Town Point Pub in Portsmouth, VA. I was only 18 but desperately wanted to join the league. They had 4 tables and knew I was underage. My dad (Police officer) took me to DMV with my brothers birth certificate and got me a fake ID with the promise that I would drink. ( I never did)

I showed it to the owner and he said "okay" I was put on a team with the average team member age of 70. We had mandatory practice every Saturday afternoon on the captain's home table which seemed like a 6ft table. It was a great time and I sucked everything up like a sponge.

A little time later, I discovered Q-Masters and don't know that I ever went back to the old stomping grounds. It was heaven.....Heaven.

Old
  (#18)
trinacria
in efren we trust
trinacria has a reputation beyond reputetrinacria has a reputation beyond reputetrinacria has a reputation beyond reputetrinacria has a reputation beyond reputetrinacria has a reputation beyond reputetrinacria has a reputation beyond reputetrinacria has a reputation beyond reputetrinacria has a reputation beyond reputetrinacria has a reputation beyond reputetrinacria has a reputation beyond reputetrinacria has a reputation beyond repute

03-24-2020, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bic D View Post
The Town Point Pub in Portsmouth, VA. I was only 18 but desperately wanted to join the league. They had 4 tables and knew I was underage. My dad (Police officer) took me to DMV with my brothers birth certificate and got me a fake ID with the promise that I would drink. ( I never did)

I showed it to the owner and he said "okay" I was put on a team with the average team member age of 70. We had mandatory practice every Saturday afternoon on the captain's home table which seemed like a 6ft table. It was a great time and I sucked everything up like a sponge.

A little time later, I discovered Q-Masters and don't know that I ever went back to the old stomping grounds. It was heaven.....Heaven.
your dad must have been a fine officer of the highest moral standards. lol.

" love this game. its the hardest game in the world, its a beautiful game and when played right, it can be poetic, artistic." me.

If you need an aiming system, you have no natural talent for the game. Sorry.

Old
  (#19)
straightline
AzB Silver Member
straightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond repute

03-24-2020, 11:51 PM

Don't recall owning one.

Old
  (#20)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

03-25-2020, 12:16 AM

My grandpa’s 6-table storefront pool hall in Santa Fe Springs near Los Angeles - 1957 or so. I swept up and brushed the tables for candy bars while gramps and his OG posse played dominoes.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#21)
measureman
AzB Silver Member
measureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1500

03-25-2020, 04:43 AM

Park Billiards Academy Neptune N.J. but always known as Pokes after the old time player Sam One Poke Fauver who was the co owner with Uncle Mike.
The house man was Fast Eddie Sontag.
8 Anniversary tables,1 bath room
Old slow cloth and clay balls.
Hardwood floors and peeling paint on the walls.

Pool was 50 cents and hour and soda 10 cents a bottle.
There was a small bakery next door that made the best brownies I've ever had to this day.
Circa 1961.

New cue-Schmelke custom Bocote merry widow
Best of the bunch- The Mighty Lucasi Cocobolo
Back up cue - Troy Downey
I woke up.
Triangles tips and Masters chalk are good enough.

Willie said “I will only say this...when I beat Ralph, they would say it was because he was drinking....but every time he beat me, he was drinking too.”

The Truth: If you have a stroke the gear don't matter... If you don't have a stroke the gear won't help.
The above quote by Softshot

Old
  (#22)
jasonlaus
Rep for Smorg
jasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond repute

03-25-2020, 04:48 AM

Campus Q in Benton Harbor MI.

Mostly a Black pool room and the game was full rack banks.

All GCs with 2 bar boxes and one 3 cushion table, still stop in when I go home but it's sad to see it turning into a bar box room, think they might outnumber the 9'ers now.

Old
  (#23)
Poolhall60561
AzB Silver Member
Poolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond repute

03-25-2020, 06:03 AM

Miami Bowl on Archer and Pulaski.
The first time I was there Don Fenney was there doing trick shots and helping some younger players with basic instruction.

Old
  (#24)
lfigueroa
AzB Silver Member
lfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond repute

03-25-2020, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megatron69 View Post
I was talking with a friend today, a guy I've played with and against for almost 20 years now, and we got to reminiscing about the old haunts we used to play in and the stories of those places. Somewhere during our ramblings we got to our first pool hall.

So mine was an actual pool hall back in the mid-80's in south St. Louis, MO off a road called Mackenzie rd.

It was on the corner of an run-down strip mall across from a diner that advertised "Fresh Cow Brains!" I remember walking in there and thinking I'd really walked into a real pool hall, with it's dozen or so tables evenly mixed between bar boxes up front and the real 9 foot Gold Crowns towards the back of the room. And those Gold Crowns were all surrounded by those high-backed pool chairs with the notches in the arms for your cue to rest in, a small table between each pair of chairs with a lamp on each table. I had found the big time.

I was exclusively a bar box guy back then, so for about a year I played in the front on those battered bar boxes but they were all level for a wonder. One day I finally decided to check out the back and those big gorgeous GCs, which is when my pool story really began.

The walk to the back was dark, even during the day. It was about twenty paces or so past the long bar that didn't serve alcohol and then you were in GC land as I used to think of it. Back there were the same half dozen or so guys shooting games for cash. Usually it was four or five older guys (I'm probably as old now as some of those guys were then) and a couple younger guys, maybe in their mid-thirties. I quickly found out that to play a game with these guys it cost money. And if you couldn't play their speed, they'd run you out of there pretty quick, with empty pockets.

It took me about two years to find a good enough game to hang out back there, and another two years before I was decent enough to have my own chair. most of these guys had a chair they liked, or a chair that everyone thought of as that guy's chair. One day I guess I'd earned one.

It turned out that several of these guys were gamblers and hustlers. Shocker, I know. What I did know is that they all were better players than I was, and I had an obsession to learn how to play better. So I paid for my lessons $5 at a time, and when I ran out of money, I'd just sit and watch these guys play and talk smack to each other. And it was from that place on those tables, with those fine men/bastards that I learned to play pool.

So anyway, I was just curious . . . do any of you guys/girls have any stories or memories about the bar/pool hall/whatever you ever really thought of as the birthplace of your love affair with pool?

My first pool room was The Billiard Palacade, near the corner of Mission and Geneva, in San Francisco.

I probably spent two or three of my formative years there, sort of like a recently spawned baby salmon who stays in the tidal pools, before attempting the run upstream. I was probably fresh out of 8th grade.

It was a great room.

You’d walk in and there was a snooker table off to the right in the front window, where “the big boys” played pink ball. The counter was to the left. Perhaps a dozen or more Gold Crowns. The room had huge vaulted ceilings, a reminder of the vaudeville theatre it once was in a past life.

Cue in case in hand, I would make the 20 minute walk from my home on Winding Way to the pool room. There, at The Billiard Palacade, somehow I automatically fit in, immediately accepted into the fraternal order of pool players that populated the joint. I used to favor a table off on the right side of the room, perhaps three or four tables in. To this day I can still recall the pure, almost orgasmic joy I felt when I ran my first full rack of 15 balls off that table.

The two best players in the room were a guy called “Big Bob” and who looked like Robert Goulet dressed as a lumber jack, and Jim, mustached, long brown hair parted in the middle, and who favored leather jackets. There was also a whole cast of other supporting players, like the two black brothers, (no, really, they were related) Sammy and Fred, who took to calling me “Mr. Serious” (a nick name which can still elicit a chuckle from those that currently know me). Eventually I’d get to a level of play at which I could beat Sam, but not Fred, who was a straight shootin’ sum gun.

I can’t remember exactly how it came about, but there was an older Italian gentleman at The Billiard Palacade who befriended me and we began playing 25 point games of straight pool together. His name was Guido and he was built like one of those basketed Chianti bottles, wore black-rimmed glasses, and sported a shock of pure white hair and a matching mustache. Over the course of the two or so years we played, I improved, and improved, and improved a little more until I was beating Guido 25-2, 25-3, 25-0. And somehow, he seemed to take some sort of crazy pride in it all and never said an unkind, or mean-spirited word, while my younger insensitive self poured repeated beatings on him.

Eventually, after I got my first car, I became an adoptee of Town and Country Billiards, in Daly City, a few miles up the road on Mission Street. But I still fondly remember my first pool room.

Lou Figueroa

Old
  (#25)
atlslim
Registered
atlslim is on a distinguished road

03-25-2020, 07:13 AM

LaVista billiards atlanta ga around 1965 9 ball 10cents a rack 8 ball 15 cents a rack a lot of fond memories

Flynn's
Old
  (#26)
franko
AzB Silver Member
franko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond repute

Thumbs up Flynn's - 03-25-2020, 08:00 AM

Maple Hts Ohio Dec. 1962 Flynn's had just opened about 6 weeks earlier it was located above a Bowling Alley . One Saturday morning after Bowling I gathered up enough courage to walk in there. 6 nine ft Brunswick Sportsman tables. The place was packed all kids between 13-17 playing and waiting for a table a couple of Pin ball machines and a counter .
Bill was a gruffly looking guy who always had a 2 in Cigar in the corner of his mouth. I knew from the First time in there I was done with Bowling and becoming a regular at Bill Flynn's . In 1962 Ohio law said you had to be 18 to play Pool so Flynn's was unusual that he allowed us kids to play . We use to say if you were tall enough to put the money on the counter you were old enough to get a table at Flynn's.
Fromm time to time the cops would raid the place and take down all our names but that was all nothing more then that and a few days later it was business as usual . Maybe Bill had to slip them some cash we never asked or cared.
I have a picture of Bill Flynn on my wall by my Diamond table he was in the Bowling Congress records for having bowled back to back 300 games a rarity back then.

Old
  (#27)
sutigers
AzB Bronze Member
sutigers is on a distinguished road

03-25-2020, 08:06 AM

Smokehouse poolroom in Florence, Al. around 1973. The regulars were playing golf on a snooker table at the front of the room and that was my first real introduction to pool. The room had been around since around 1890 or so I was told and is still there today, just under a different name.

Old
  (#28)
whammo57
Kim Walker
whammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond repute

03-25-2020, 08:07 AM

Sportsorama in Mattydale NY.............. about 1960

Kim

Walker Custom Cues

Southern Cue Systems

http://www.facebook.com/groups/366326706736784/

Old
  (#29)
metallicane
AzB Silver Member
metallicane has a reputation beyond reputemetallicane has a reputation beyond reputemetallicane has a reputation beyond reputemetallicane has a reputation beyond reputemetallicane has a reputation beyond reputemetallicane has a reputation beyond reputemetallicane has a reputation beyond reputemetallicane has a reputation beyond reputemetallicane has a reputation beyond reputemetallicane has a reputation beyond reputemetallicane has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

03-25-2020, 10:50 AM

Texas Cue Lounge.

Old
  (#30)
PoolFan101
AzB Silver Member
PoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond repute

03-25-2020, 10:53 AM

My 1st pool room was the one I grew up in. The fellow running this pool room was born to do just that. It would closely resemble ames from the hustler movie, It was a full fledged pool hall. Eight ball was the game and 5 steeplton pool tables with house racks all down the wall. A jukebox in the Corner, He also made the best Chili you ever ate. It was made with flour and really thick and you got a big bowl of oyster crackers with it and paired with one of the juiciest cheeseburgers you ever bit into. My best friend was the owners grandson so would not eat lunch at school most of the time and look forward to eating at the pool hall . When I got my 1st job I would eat lunch their everyday before it closed down. I could get A big bowl of chili , a cheeseburger , a pepsi and a moonpie for about $ 2.00. Those were the day's . Pool was 0.50cents a game and loser paid. or if you played by yourself you paid 0.50 a game. I spent most of my youth their , learning to play and also seeing some of the local greats play, My Uncle racked balls there for 25 years. The fellow that ran it started in the 50's and closed in the late 90's . so he had a pretty good run. I can remember being about 12 or and watching the Color of Money for the 1st time and using some of the lines from the movie during or games at the pool room lol . I bought my 1st cue , a Players for around $ 50 that I worked and saved for. I would give just about anything to spend a day there back in time. I really miss it and it is so sad that My kids did not get to experience anything like it. I would like to open a pool hall myself just to try to have that experience once more.

Page 2 of 3 12 3

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: