Who Should Be Selected to the 2019 USA Mosconi Cup Team?

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm surprised that Bergman has almost as many
games as Thorpe. Thorpe is at a lot of tourneys and Berg
a very limited amount

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Interesting question. Generally, the last spot was awarded right after the US Open 9-ball, which was in October until recently.

I like your idea of a qualifying tournament for the last few under consideration. For example, SVB, Billy Thorpe and Skyler Woodward are no brainer picks ..... but a little tourney with, let's say, Corey Deuel, Tyler Styer, Oscar Dominguez, Josh Roberts, and Shawn Wilkie to settle the matter of the last two spots doens't sound like a bad idea.

Johan doesn't wait until October to make his final pick.
The US team will go through the Johan Training Camp in the late Summer or early Fall and probably compete as a team, maybe with the Russians, as a tune-up before the Mosconi Cup.

By the way, the International Open in late October is where you will see Johan observing and coaching Team USA, as he did last year.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Johan doesn't wait until October to make his final pick.
The US team will go through the Johan Training Camp in the late Summer or early Fall and probably compete as a team, maybe with the Russians, as a tune-up before the Mosconi Cup.

By the way, the International Open in late October is where you will see Johan observing and coaching Team USA, as he did last year.

Thanks for the info.

gesan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If publicity is your logic for choosing and you toss in just a pinch of chance to win as an ingredient.

Earl is the man!

I know I know he is past his prime some even say he is a bit eccentric.

But if you want to talk publicity come on!

Any pub even bad pub is still pub.

Has anyone been more passionate than Earl during the M cup?

Does anyone really think John would do better then Earl in those circumcisions?

Call me an wild eyed ophthalmologist if you must, I think Earl would satisfy both better then John with all due respect to John and his 625

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
If publicity is your logic for choosing and you toss in just a pinch of chance to win as an ingredient.

Earl is the man!

Call me an wild eyed ophthalmologist if you must, I think Earl would satisfy both better then John with all due respect to John and his 625

Earl's play was pretty mediocre in his last Mosconi, which was 2013. John would be a far better choice than Earl.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Who I like

There are four players that I have confidence in and would like to see on the Cup team. VanBoening, Woodward, Deuel and Thorpe. That last position is a toss up between Roberts and Dominguez. Based on Dominguez's performance in the 2017 Cup, I feel better about Roberts' chances. I also think those five can develop some good chemistry.

Dechaine, Bergman, Strickland and Hatch probably add little to the synergy of a team. I would leave them out.

Just my .02 :)

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
There are four players that I have confidence in and would like to see on the Cup team. VanBoening, Woodward, Deuel and Thorpe. That last position is a toss up between Roberts and Dominguez. Based on Dominguez's performance in the 2017 Cup, I feel better about Roberts' chances. I also think those five can develop some good chemistry.

Dechaine, Bergman, Strickland and Hatch probably add little to the synergy of a team. I would leave them out.

Just my .02 :)

I am Tony Metz and I approve of this post. :thumbup:

Maniac

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is it with people and Earl? No way is he in the top 5 American pool players today, and even if he was, his other characteristics would be so demoralizing to the other players and the fans that he would be a massive liability. I can’t understand why people think he would be good for the American team.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey, KM, hope you're well. Sad to say I'll have to skip the August Turning Stone event due to a wedding within the family. Perhaps we'll catch up at the Ocean States. Hope you're hitting 'em straight.

SJM yes hitting 'em ok haha. I also do not expect to be at Turning Stone since I'm going to Vegas that same month. I definitely will be at the Ocean State though! Always enjoy pool talk with you. See you soon.

KMRUNOUT

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Earl is the man!

This would make some sense if the Mosconi Cup was struggling for ratings.

Fortunately for us real fans of the game, they aren't.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is it with people and Earl? No way is he in the top 5 American pool players today, and even if he was, his other characteristics would be so demoralizing to the other players and the fans that he would be a massive liability. I can’t understand why people think he would be good for the American team.

Earl has intensity and lots of passion.
Earl has ass weights and ain't into fashion.
Earl has finger wraps and sometimes wears an ear muff.
But, Earl wields a long-ass cue and that's enough.
Earl throws things and sometimes doesn't talk clean.
So send Earl to London and "God, save the Queen".

Last edited:

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl has intensity and lots of passion.
Earl has ass weights and ain't into fashion.
Earl has finger wraps and sometimes wears an ear muff.
But, Earl wields a long-ass cue and that's enough.
Earl throws things and sometimes doesn't talk clean.
So send Earl to London and "God, save the Queen".

lol that’s enough to convince me right there!

AkGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well

Send who ever has the best chance of beating Filler, Shaw, Feigen and who ever.