Looking for some old "players" names

karensziti

I know there was a Jimmy Henson from Maryland who used to come to my hometown pool hall when i was a teenager. Cool ass dude. Smoked Merit cigarette. Shot with a schon cue i believe.

1 Pocket Ghost

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Shorty" from Richmond, VA - played good straight pool and one pocket
White guy? Jim Henson

"Patch Eye" or "The Lieutenant"
Jaffar Bashir- passed away a few yrs back

"Monster John" from Florida - played good one pocket
John Rouse- i believe he passed away too

Sy Brown- that was his name, i believe. Somewhat taller, thin black guy, was a bit of a talker at the table? Originally from NJ.

Eric

Sy Brown was not tall, on the contrary, he was short - about 5'7"...we gambled playing One Pocket about 10 yrs. ago at the DCC - he played good...at that time, and for many years, he lived in Detroit...I believe he passed away several years ago - Steve Lomako would know.

- Ghost

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know there was a Jimmy Henson from Maryland who used to come to my hometown pool hall when i was a teenager. Cool ass dude. Smoked Merit cigarette. Shot with a schon cue i believe.

Can't be multiple Jim hensons who played real good pool in the mid Atlantic in the last couple decades...about 30 years I been seeing him and I have NEVER seen him touch a cigarette.

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Sy Brown was not tall, on the contrary, he was short - about 5'7"...we gambled playing One Pocket about 10 yrs. ago at the DCC - he played good...at that time, and for many years, he lived in Detroit...I believe he passed away several years ago - Steve Lomako would know.

- Ghost

You might be right, about Sy being 5'7". Maybe I just remembered him being taller?

He was definitely from NJ, at one point. I seem to remember him saying he was from the Trenton area?

Eric

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

- Ghost

You played pretty sporty too about that time. You took me on twice in my house for forty a game and I couldn't beat you. I was playing okay then too. You frking outmoved me! I hated that. :smile:

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jack "oak cliff shorty" Potter from Oak Cliff

Lucky Louie Harper

Johnny aka Cannonball, I forgot his last name
And I knew him well,we played a few times,but
memory is not serving me well

Black Sam from Dallas

The Train...Greg Stevens

Slip Stroke Junior

John Chapman?

randyg

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jack "oak cliff shorty" Potter from Oak Cliff

Lucky Louie Harper

Johnny aka Cannonball, I forgot his last name
And I knew him well,we played a few times,but
memory is not serving me well

Black Sam from Dallas

The Train...Greg Stevens

Slip Stroke Junior

Johnny Chapman, I think, He spent a summer playing in Temple in the 60's. Played anyone who showed up. Never before or since have I seen someone do more with a cue ball than Cannonball. Not that he tried to show off but if he caught a bad roll or got out of line, he knew how to deliver Whitey to the right spot.

Jersey Red said Cannonball was second in banks only to Eddie Taylor. I never saw enough great bank players to make a judgement.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Monster John was one of the players that I only saw at the Derby City Classic when it was that Executive Inn.

He was like a kid and was almost in action immediately. I never saw him actually win, but he was always was in action so he must have done okay.

I missed Monster John one year and someone told me he had passed.

I always enjoyed watching him, and miss him every year now during DCC.

Ken

stevelomako

Cash. I uses cash beech.
Silver Member

- Ghost

Dude, you don’t forget a whole lot but even though he was always in Detroit I don’t think he lived here, I think you’re thinking about Stevie from Pittsburg aka Pittsburg Steve aka 10-2 (because his head was always tilted at either 10 o’clock or 2 o’clock).

http://www.onepocket.org/forum/index.php?threads/sy-brown-gone.7515/

The Shane he was asking about was Shane Heatherington from Detroit. Got shot to death through the front door by his step-son quite a few years ago, a dozen at least I think.

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Dude, you don’t forget a whole lot but even though he was always in Detroit I don’t think he lived here, I think you’re thinking about Stevie from Pittsburg aka Pittsburg Steve aka 10-2 (because his head was always tilted at either 10 o’clock or 2 o’clock).

Steve,

Although my memory is pretty bad, I'm thinking that Sy was from the Trenton, NJ area, originally and might have been living in west PA for a while. I haven't seen him in 10 years or so and heard he passed on?

Eric

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Monster John was one of the players that I only saw at the Derby City Classic when it was that Executive Inn.

He was like a kid and was almost in action immediately. I never saw him actually win, but he was always was in action so he must have done okay.

I missed Monster John one year and someone told me he had passed.

I always enjoyed watching him, and miss him every year now during DCC.

Ken

He beat Cardone for a pretty nice number at the DCC but i cant come up with which location it was and i was there.

1 Pocket Ghost

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You played pretty sporty too about that time. You took me on twice in my house for forty a game and I couldn't beat you. I was playing okay then too. You frking outmoved me! I hated that. :smile:

Don't feel bad brother Jay - I out-move everybody I play/played...:eek:...:thumbup:

Dude, you don’t forget a whole lot but even though he
was always in Detroit I don’t think he lived here, I think you’re thinking about Stevie from Pittsburg aka Pittsburg Steve aka 10-2 (because his head was always tilted at either 10 o’clock or 2 o’clock).

http://www.onepocket.org/forum/index.php?threads/sy-brown-gone.7515/

Nah Steve, I couldn't confuse older, hair-challenged Sy, with long dreadlocked Pittsburg Steve.

- Ghost

Last edited:

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Steve,

Although my memory is pretty bad, I'm thinking that Sy was from the Trenton, NJ area, originally and might have been living in west PA for a while. I haven't seen him in 10 years or so and heard he passed on?

Eric

I'm pretty sure he passed about 6 years ago or so.

gesan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the 70's , there were 4 'shorty's in the DMV area.
One shorty played in DC . He liked playing at 7th & T room.
He also came to Bennies where I played him.
He was a young black man who lover to play and gamble.
There was another 'shorty' from Richmond . shorty Davies.
Played good and gambled .
Jim shorty Henson was a very good player. Played out of Tops pool room.
He came to Beenies at times, but could usually be found at Tops

Gun slinger
I'm thinking a young player (back in the day) maybe called lefty Joe. I think He played at tops
Do you remember him? I think he was maybe 15 or 16 and was a more then fair player.
Any idea what happened to him? There was another pool room near where crystal city is now, it might have been there. Tops was closer to Arlington I think, close to one of beenies hot dog stands on route 1. Actually in the remote recesses of my mind that room might have been called something else. Like so many things from back then I just can't retrieve the name.

I guess they never found out who the guy was that was "a person of interest " relative to Mike Surber? Didn't they have a picture or something?

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I witnessed a fellow that was known as:

Book man (he sold encyclopedias door to door)
Bible man (he sold bibles door to door)
The worm (can't say in public setting)

His first name was Ralf. I'm not 100% surs but, I think his last name was Henson???

He came to Norrh Alabama (shoals area) in the 1960's and busted everyone that played.

The Miz wouldn't play him in long 14.1 races or bank pool. Thag in itself speaks volumes about his speed.

I witnessed the Book man give Kenneth James 8/4 and 9/4 in 1hole.

I witnessed the Book man beat the ever loving crap out Sam Caperton in Columbia Tennessee. He was givie Sam a huge spot. Can't remember the exact details though.

Another player of note was Harold Phillips. He went by "Slick"....which he was.

The Book man......was the man that taught me to play pool. The only game he taught me was 14.1. I was lucky that way back then.

I just wished I could have had more time under his wing. He had me running ~100 balls within two years of picking a cue up for the first time.

The man was the best player/teacher I've ever seen to this day.

RIP:

Book man
Slick Phillips

Not sure if Sam Caperton is still with us or not???

Jeff