How should I feel toward an irate cuemaker?

Would you still get the cue done if you get in this type of situation?

• I am dead-set still getting cue from cuemaker

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • I will look at other options and may still go ahead

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Cuemaker not getting my business again

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters

Patiktik

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good day to all cuemakers and readers on this thread.

Before I post my question, I would never drop anyone's name or slander anyone. My ONLY purpose is to get some industry experts' inputs and thoughts on my recent situation so I can adjust (if I need to) my expectations on future interactions.

I am a repeat customer of one big name (I was very surprised too) cuemaker and I am now ready to get my next fix for a cue (I have gear acquisition syndrome). So I sent a few emails getting the quote and the usual advise which I really appreciate. We have not finalised anything for a final quote, I just expressed my desire to get the cue done, but not after I know how much a wrap upgrade will cost.

I have not heard for a couple of days, and I am in the working class too, so I know professionals get really busy and me not wanting to push anything, I waited for a couple of days. But as my new bills are coming, I don't want to suddenly turn away and tell the cuemaker whom I respect like my College professor that I will not proceed with the build and come across as a time-waster. So I followed up if he has had a chance to read my last email and if we can proceed with the build.

The reply I got was a very cold ("Yes... Now what?"). I really got deflated reading it... Felt disappointed and sad, not even angry or mad. I told him my sentiment... I felt like I had to apologise that I ask too many questions or that I am wasting his time. In understood his point, that I am not the only one emailing, calling, texting to asks questions, change mind or change design spec.and if he is busy with something and cannot note all of these things, things go wrong.

But this is what I don't understand, and I told him. We are investing our money in their business, and as customers, we do not see the materials or know the current market prices, hence the only thing we can do before a build is ask questions. This also protects us both that the final product will reflect the design and amount. Not sure why he's irate replying to me and not even answering my original question...

I am not a business owner, but I know that if you are getting flustered and getting swamped with things, either you get help or take a step back on multi-tasking. I am not dumb to expect him to answer my email while he's on the phone with someone. I am happy to wait, to give us both the best possible outcome.

How it ended, he provided me the quote for the wrap upgrade. The reply I was looking for. But I am not sure if I still want to do the cue with him. I still give him the benefit of the doubt that maybe he was just having a bad day. I might bring my business somewhere else for now. I'd value customer service over name every time. It was lacking in this very unfortunate exchange...

Last edited:

Patiktik

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Johnny..

Just 5 including his replies prior to my follow-up.

I originally wanted a full splice so that was already 3 emails there explaining why short-splice is better time and money-wise for my choice of woods. Obviously I got convinced as he is the expert, he didn't have to explain to me twice.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good day to all cuemakers and readers on this thread.

Before I post my question, I would never drop anyone's name or slander anyone. My ONLY purpose is to get some industry experts' inputs and thoughts on my recent situation so I can adjust (if I need to) my expectations on future interactions.

I am a repeat customer of one big name (I was very surprised too) cuemaker and I am now ready to get my next fix for a cue (I have gear acquisition syndrome). So I sent a few emails getting the quote and the usual advise which I really appreciate. We have not finalised anything for a final quote, I just expressed my desire to get the cue done, but not after I know how much a wrap upgrade will cost.

I have not heard for a couple of days, and I am in the working class too, so I know professionals get really busy and me not wanting to push anything, I waited for a couple of days. But as my new bills are coming, I don't want to suddenly turn away and tell the cuemaker whom I respect like my College professor that I will not proceed with the build and come across as a time-waster. So I followed up if he has had a chance to read my last email and if we can proceed with the build.

The reply I got was a very cold ("Yes... Now what?"). I really got deflated reading it... Felt disappointed and sad, not even angry or mad. I told him my sentiment... I felt like I had to apologise that I ask too many questions or that I am wasting his time. In understood his point, that I am not the only one emailing, calling, texting to asks questions, change mind or change design spec.and if he is busy with something and cannot note all of these things, things go wrong.

But this is what I don't understand, and I told him. We are investing our money in their business, and as customers, we do not see the materials or know the current market prices, hence the only thing we can do before a build is ask questions. This also protects us both that the final product will reflect the design and amount. Not sure why he's irate replying to me and not even answering my original question...

I am not a business owner, but I know that if you are getting flustered and getting swamped with things, either you get help or take a step back on multi-tasking. I am not dumb to expect him to answer my email while he's on the phone with someone. I am happy to wait, to give us both the best possible outcome.

How it ended, he provided me the quote for the wrap upgrade. The reply I was looking for. But I am not sure if I still want to do the cue with him. I still give him the benefit of the doubt that maybe he was just having a bad day. I might bring my business somewhere else for now. I'd value customer service over name every time. It was lacking in this very unfortunate exchange...

These kind of threads are tough action and usually fall under, there's 3 sides to every story category.
The bottom line is and will always be, if your uncomfortable, don't go thru with it.

Patiktik

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These kind of threads are tough action and usually fall under, there's 3 sides to every story category.
The bottom line is and will always be, if your uncomfortable, don't go thru with it.

I could not agree more sir. I appreciate your input. At the end of the day, mine is just another story to tell.

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe he was having a bad day or maybe you were being annoying. Who knows. As a business owner and a nitch business owner I can attest that sometimes you spend more time playing ping pong than actual business.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I could not agree more sir. I appreciate your input. At the end of the day, mine is just another story to tell.

It is a very important story and the cost of doing business. With myself being a one man, one stop shop. I undestand this more than I want to. It usually takes time to lay the foundation for an order, it's your vision, your money. The Cue makers craftsmanship and time table. Once that is established it is and should be easy from there. After that if there are multiple request, it can complicate matters to a point where the Cue maker starts thinking about you and what you might change more than he thinks about his work. At that point. The work usually gets put on hold or can get cancelled due to the lack of a mutual agreement. That part is no fun at all.

Patiktik

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe he was having a bad day or maybe you were being annoying. Who knows. As a business owner and a nitch business owner I can attest that sometimes you spend more time playing ping pong than actual business.

He could just be having a bad day that he found my basic questions annoying. Again, the discussion we were having is more for him than me. I already laid in front of him the design I wanted. He wants to know more about why I chose the design, so I didn't want to leave him hanging waiting for my input. Once I thought we're clear and he didn't respond after a couple days, that is when I ask if he had a chance, he could've said no, or not yet.

In no way shape or form I demanded an answer, I had a lot of cues and deals where payment or updates stopped, and I never demanded anything, i guess next time lowered expectations is key. Or not follow-up at all if someone is not responding.

I doubt you will act irate at a customer for checking in where you guys at an order that is yet to be finalised. I am just one drop in his list of other customers, but I am not a new customer, for sure we have had a lot more email back and forths before.

Patiktik

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is a very important story and the cost of doing business. With myself being a one man, one stop shop. I undestand this more than I want to. It usually takes time to lay the foundation for an order, it's your vision, your money. The Cue makers craftsmanship and time table. Once that is established it is and should be easy from there. After that if there are multiple request, it can complicate matters to a point where the Cue maker starts thinking about you and what you might change more than he thinks about his work. At that point. The work usually gets put on hold or can get cancelled due to the lack of a mutual agreement. That part is no fun at all.

And this was my sentiment, in our previous dealings, after order was set, once that final order set is printed and attached to the materials and downpayment is received,it is just a matter of half-yearly checks thru to delivery. Never I asked for pics or progress updates, cuemakers are not photographers I know. Actually, sometimes has has to check with me about some aspects of the order that might have slipped his notes. And knowing that it is his time and talents, and my money on the line, I always get out of my way to answer. I am from Australia, so timezones are inverted, but I never made him feel that.

I guess I got a bit too comfortable and thought that we had already set the proverbial doctor-patient rapport from previous dealings. I do not know how much more concise my request could've been. It was just a list of specs... He could've told me overall cost and percentage of payment for work to begin and we're on our way. But yeah, sometimes simple things aren't so...

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unless this cue maker was Ernie I wouldn’t sweat it too much. Even then I would still buy his cue. Because what I am buying is a cue of the utmost. I am certainly not buying ego or attitude.

Last edited:

Patiktik

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unless this cue maker was Ernie I wouldn’t sweat it too much. Even then I would still buy his cue. Because what I am buying is a cue of the utmost. I am certainly not buying ego or attitude.

Thanks for the insight. That is fair call, I am actually still going thru my options in fact. Just thinking about what happens if I really have another question during the build, say like about payment method or I need to change address, I am a bit apprehensive now. I am not sure if I can handle it the next time he becomes this sensitive again to questions. :D

Thanks everyone for chiming in. I really appreciate all the responses.

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the insight. That is fair call, I am actually still going thru my options in fact. Just thinking about what happens if I really have another question during the build, say like about payment method or I need to change address, I am a bit apprehensive now. I am not sure if I can handle it the next time he becomes this sensitive again to questions. :D

Thanks everyone for chiming in. I really appreciate all the responses.

Stop being a tulip. I have been yelled at my entire life. It’s a cue and if you are annoying or maybe being stupid (not saying you are) then maybe you deserve to be fronted.

Patiktik

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stop being a tulip. I have been yelled at my entire life. It’s a cue and if you are annoying or maybe being stupid (not saying you are) then maybe you deserve to be fronted.

Nice... Not sure what triggered you sir... Or what past experiences you have or what you have done to be yelled at all your life, but that last bit was just a dry attempt at being sardonic.

I don't know what "being a tulip" is like but we can leave it at that with no explanation.

Have a good day.

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good one. I've already shouted it from out here, I seriously hope you caught it.

Seriously, this is nothing to do with bad-mouthing anybody. Just me trying to touch up a bit on my people skills. Nothing personal, no harm done.

Again...stop being a tulip. It’s a cue. I can tell what I am dealing with and based on that I wouldn’t even build the cue for you.

Stop already tulip went out in 2015. You are late to the party. You came here to complain about a cue maker that hurt your sensitive feelings. Get over it and move on. Order the cue or don’t. It’s not that big a deal I am sure to the cue maker or the forum. Not sure exactly what you are expecting. I formal public apology? Not likely.

What I am telling you is a life lesson. Get out of mommies home and suck it up.

Patiktik

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Again...stop being a tulip. It’s a cue. I can tell what I am dealing with and based on that I wouldn’t even build the cue for you.

Stop already tulip went out in 2015. You are late to the party. You came here to complain about a cue maker that hurt your sensitive feelings. Get over it and move on. Order the cue or don’t. It’s not that big a deal I am sure to the cue maker or the forum. Not sure exactly what you are expecting. I formal public apology? Not likely.

What I am telling you is a life lesson. Get out of mommies home and suck it up.

All I can say is that in every forum, there's always that person, raging and getting hurt for no reason.

What happened to just discussing? Why resolve to name calling? Me being sensitive and complaining? I've taken all points and feedback, including yours, why get triggered?

How many times did I say, this is not a complain, but me just checking the group on how people will handle the situation. I know how I handled it, bit I don't claim to be high and mighty, I wanted to hear what others might say or think for this particular life event. As I also mentioned, in case you dint catch it, I am not bagging or mad at cuemaker, I understand that he reacted that way, nothing wrong with that. I took it and he eventually gave the information, so in the end, all's well.