Loose Racks

schonshooter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play on a bar league and it is not rack your own breaks. It never fails that most of the players rack loose (not intentionally) and they would be offended if they were told to redo the rack, they usually blame the spot. This league is not sanctioned just a social league. Since 75% of the racks I am faced with in this league are loose, I am looking for a way to approach a loose rack so the balls spread out a little more. It is 8 ball on a bar box if that helps.

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would suggest bringing the Magic Rack with you. It may take a few seconds longer to rack, but they are tight every time.

jdxprs

Banned
check which side has a bigger gap on the ball next to the 8 ball, then break for the 8 on the second ball opposite side.

RBLilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play on a bar league and it is not rack your own breaks. It never fails that most of the players rack loose (not intentionally) and they would be offended if they were told to redo the rack, they usually blame the spot. This league is not sanctioned just a social league. Since 75% of the racks I am faced with in this league are loose, I am looking for a way to approach a loose rack so the balls spread out a little more. It is 8 ball on a bar box if that helps.

Most people I see break on the bar box hit the second ball, and it does a pretty good job of breaking them apart. Also sends the eight ball toward the side pocket a lot of times, that is if an 8 on the break wins.

Personally I typically break out my big bad sledge hammer 28.5 ounce break cue, and slam them straight down the middle. I have made more 8 on the breaks that way with this cue than any other. Once I do that a few times they tend to start racking them tightly for me, and I switch back to my lighter breaking cue.

However, I haven't played in a bar league with my new custom break cue. I am betting I wouldn't need my sledge anymore....mmmmmm we shall see!

walrus_3d

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to practice breaking bad racks. Your best options are either to break the second ball on the tighter side, really freaking hard, or to break straight or almost straight down the middle, really freaking hard. The side break works best if the lead ball rolls off, and the center break works best if the whole rack is loose.

Or just get over your issues with offending people and ask them to rack it better. If you can rack it tight, it's not the spot's fault. You might even teach them something about racking. My favorite little-known fact is that the lower-numbered balls on a bar table tend to be smaller than the higher-numbered balls due to wear over time. If the 2 doesn't fit in the front of the rack, the 7 might.

G'luck.

ottersbro

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if you don't start educating them about racking they'll never get it right.

they will eventually be glad you did.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with the "its your job to edumacate them" statement.

However, when faced with this kind of rack, I soft break the rack. Since I am a lot better than most bar players at picking off victims from a cluster, this gives me a significant advantage.

On the other hand, I try very hard never to give anyone anything but the tightest rack possible. Mostly they break hard, and this allows me easy pickens.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Get a copy of Joe Tucker's breaking secrets, and or breaking secrets 2. If you're pretty confident with your fundamentals, shot making ability, and cue ball position, then learn to read the gaps in a rack, and how to break.

schonshooter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the replies! I think I am going to start showing them how to rack tighter and for the ones that won't listen I will just break hard straight at them or go 2nd ball.

Slickstick9

Play on
Silver Member
if I notice loose racks, I start looking for where to go in and attack. I don't always make them re rack.:cool:

Banks

Banned
not that it gets you any closer to your stated goal, but how about a soft break...as in protest?

That's kinda what I was thinking. If they're not gonna rack it up right, to hell with em and break it like crap. :thumbup:

2nd-ball break doesn't need to be hit hard, just a solid hit on the 2nd ball. Really hard to s&&&-rack against a 2nd ball break.

stumpie71

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can break a little softer head on and it will do a decent job of separating the rack. Most of the balls will stay under the side pocket and give you a congested rack but usually without many clusters.

thintowin

thin2win
Silver Member
I take it your pool playing mates would not appreciate your educating skills and some might even ask you to dance outside. Having been in that situation before, loose racks not intentional but too many brews? Then smile and hit the second ball full with some inside draw. If you can control the cue ball and not jump the table, then you should make a ball or two on the break. The old pool maxim holds true: shoot hard and draw your ball. Good luck!

schonshooter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thintowin: You hit the nail on the head! I am going to try the 2nd ball idea next week and see what happens. Thanks

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
check which side has a bigger gap on the ball next to the 8 ball, then break for the 8 on the second ball opposite side.

Bingo. Use a tip of low inside english and hit it at about 75% speed. That break RULES a loose rack and doesn't do badly on a tight one, either. You can experiment with a tip of low outside english, too it you find the inside english keeps you stuck in a pack (some people have trouble with that). The outside english works equally well, but the cue ball tends to travel a lot and can hop badly if you hit it a little too firm.

mistamikel

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Smash the rack with top lol. When the cue ball goes for a ride look at the person that racked and say " WTF??? MAKE SURE THAT SHIT IS TIGHT LIKE A VIRGINS ASS NEXT TIME" hahahahahha. If its a loose rack again make the cue ball fly in his direction and look at him with a huge shit eatin grin :)

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Simply say, "I found on this table if you find the spot where the front ball lands and then bring the rest of the rack to that spot we should be good to go.

Second ball break hitting low on the cue ball for sure is good advice.

whitewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play on a bar league and it is not rack your own breaks. It never fails that most of the players rack loose (not intentionally) and they would be offended if they were told to redo the rack, they usually blame the spot..

Go rip the spot off after they say this, pull out your ball point pin and a quarter, and make a new spot.

Don't laugh, I have done this before.:grin-square: