Shane and the Mosconi Cup [Puts on Fire Proof Suit]

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You certainly missed the mark on this one.

You've got action all day long I'll take Shane and you get everybody else. We will bet every match that Shane plays excluding Mosconi cup(no team events/partners)

He plays TERRIBLE in MC but thats about it.

To your last point, yes. Doesnt mean he stinks in general. Obviously a top 5 player in the world, but he never brings he's best here.

Replacing him wouldn't be with someone that plays better, but with someone that handles the pressure of the MC more effectively.

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
So by now u shld be able to reach the conclusion thay maybe he's the best player in the USA, but being the best in USA does not necessarily equate to him being on par with the WORLD BEST which was proven time after time with him losing to ko and albin in the finals and in which both are way younger than him.

Currently , americna's pool standards pales in comparison with likes of taiwan, philipines and europe.
And watch out for Russia, i suspect they may be the next strong force with the pressence of many young players being exposed in many international tournaments recently.

The bolded part I mostly agree with, but SVB IS one of the worlds best, as you correctly note that he made it to the finals in several world championships. Clearly, he is amongst the world's best.

As for his Mosconi Cup play, its inexplicably abysmal...:sorry:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Where were you then when he.gambled n lost to Chang in vegas ?

Was your money on Shane when there were side action when he lost to big ko in csi race to 21 invitation.

Was your money on him when he lost twice in the world 9 ball ?

I certainly hope not as you wld have lost a considerable amount of money by now.
Also, i doubt he will like his chances against the asia's money game king yang chin shun before he retired 10 yrs ago.
Dennis orcollo has a taste of that man's wrath n it still lingers in his resume till today.

You seem to forget all the matches he wins - you must be joking. Anybody who could get an even bet down on Shane(say $100) for every match he has played wouldn't have to work. But you go ahead and keep cherry picking matches.

Do we have a bet going forward? I get Shane every match he plays for $100 no handicap or odds

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Just noticed you're not on the good action list which means you probably wont bet a dime. Keep running that yapper though.
Jason

Arete

Registered
Do you know the number one factor too look to exploit if you want to get into somebody's head? Especially in a game like pool!

I'll give you a hint. "When you look in the mirror, observe the frame."

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You seem to forget all the matches he wins - you must be joking. Anybody who could get an even bet down on Shane(say $100) for every match he has played wouldn't have to work. But you go ahead and keep cherry picking matches.

Do we have a bet going forward? I get Shane every match he plays for $100 no handicap or odds

Why dont we do this ?

You can bet Shane $100 no handicaps or odds in all international tournaments he plays and i will take your bet .

However my condition is you gotta also take my bet on Ko Pin Yi no handicaps or odds in all international tournament that Shane is in too lol

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just noticed you're not on the good action list which means you probably wont bet a dime. Keep running that yapper though.
Jason

I dont even know what the good action list is ?
Mind telling me ?

What i mentioned were facts, go on prove me wrong , WHERE ARE HIS WORLD TITLES ?

Arete

Registered
Do you know the number one factor too look to exploit if you want to get into somebody's head? Especially in a game like pool!

I'll give you a hint. "When you look in the mirror, observe the frame."

http://articles.latimes.com/1996-08-05/news/ls-31557_1_athletic-performances

When you consider the number of eyes on him and letting their presence known at the Cup it's easy to see the difference between that environment and an environment he is more comfortable in such as Derby or US Open or the TAR studio. I believe self consciousness is something he can usually maintain but the cup is different.

He needs to address this issue imo.

Last edited:

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
You certainly missed the mark on this one.

You've got action all day long I'll take Shane and you get everybody else. We will bet every match that Shane plays excluding Mosconi cup(no team events/partners)

He plays TERRIBLE in MC but thats about it.

Would you take all bets in 9 ball, or 10 ball only?

Alex has an open $100k challenge in 9 ball. Shane hasn't jumped at it.

dkleather

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane is a great player. It's unfair to focus on him. If he never wins a rack in the MC, he has one of the finest records ever and who wouldn't swap a MVP for a US Open.

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The bolded part I mostly agree with, but SVB IS one of the worlds best, as you correctly note that he made it to the finals in several world championships. Clearly, he is amongst the world's best.

As for his Mosconi Cup play, its inexplicably abysmal...:sorry:

Good point.

I feel Shane is actually one of the world best with his break , but his run-out game is still suspect at times with too many unforced error.
Nonetheless theres no doubt he can compete with the world elite currently , like ko wu albin both chang's n biado but i still feel they seems to have an edge over him.
Just my feel when i observe em play.

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would you take all bets in 9 ball, or 10 ball only?

Alex has an open $100k challenge in 9 ball. Shane hasn't jumped at it.

Thats kinds strange.. cuz i feel Shane has a good chance of winning him, not saying its a sure thing because Alex is an extremely good player too esp for money but Shane seems to have better breaks n run packs more consistently.

I heard about alex 100k but may i ask if it comes with any conditions ?

Roland Garcia has also offered a 100k challenge which puzzles me , i think he or his backer maybe broke by the time the taiwanese , couple of pinoys and Shane is done playing him.

How do these guys set up a 100k challenge, do they do that to see the response and get a backer or do they alr have a backer in place alr ?

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Why dont we do this ?

You can bet Shane $100 no handicaps or odds in all international tournaments he plays and i will take your bet .

However my condition is you gotta also take my bet on Ko Pin Yi no handicaps or odds in all international tournament that Shane is in too lol

And US events.
When is the next event?

How bout Albin vs Shane?

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
Shane wins both. Not sure why Shane and Mars haven't played him yet

Not so sure. Shane isn't the world's best 9 ball player. He's the best American 9 ball player. And he's beatable in 10 ball if you make him break from outside the break box. He IS the world's best 10 ball breaker. Neutralize that, and he's not a world beater.

The reason he hasn't played Alex yet, and won't play Alex, is that he knows they're even on the breaks in 9 ball. And Alex is a better player after the break.

I don't think Shane even wants action from Dennis playing 9 ball.

GB Basher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO it shows what a bad place pool is in for the 'Challenge Match' to be so important in the pool calendar.
You have the Europeans travelling to events they don't want to go to just to earn the mosconi points.....having to make the last 4 to break even, due to the lack of prize money. etc
The Mosconi is an important payday for Pro players.
It is also a good shop window for them also.
It also doesn't hurt then they are trying to get invited to the other two Matchroom events that also pay well.

Shane is a world class player, he has never been 'picked' for the team. He has always earned the right to be on the team.
Pool is his job. If he 'earns' the right to be there, no one should be able to say to him "sorry Shane you miss out on a guaranteed $10K, we're gonna try someone else that you have out performed all year"

If Shane doesn't want to play, that is different.
I don't know what the answer is, but surely it is some form of help and working with him, never discarding him
IMO

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
How about this CM - how many players by name do you think play better than Shane? You come up with your list and I'll take Shane for $100 evrytime he plays one of them.

It can be 1 player or a thousand.
Jason

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
How about this CM - how many players by name do you think play better than Shane? You come up with your list and I'll take Shane for $100 evrytime he plays one of them.

It can be 1 player or a thousand.
Jason

I'll take the field against Shane at every world championship. How's that?

Shane is amongst the top players in the world. I agree with that. I don't think he's nearly the dominant force you think he is, however.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I'll take the field against Shane at every world championship. How's that?

You got it. Like I said everytime they play, so EVERY MATCH Shane plays is $100
Jason

Never said he was dominant. What I did say was pick your players that are better and we have a game every time they play.

Last edited: