Any Idea who INVENTED "GOLF On the SNOOKER TABLE ????

RabbiHippie

"Look! A real hippie!"
Silver Member
That was my impression, too.

I actually feel bad for champions like Greenleaf and Schaefer who were made to go along with such silliness. It sounds like they basically stood on top of a concrete snooker table to play putt-putt miniature golf.

But I can see how this might have given somebody the idea for a more practical game of golf played on a snooker table.

Last edited:

RabbiHippie

"Look! A real hippie!"
Silver Member
Inventing New Games

This topic of inventing new games interests me because I recently learned about Saratoga, the game invented by E. J. Glode, and that got me thinking of ideas for a new game of my own.

http://www.pooltipjar.org/saratoga-pool/

I’ve been working on an idea for ring games using a deck of cards. I think the key is making the rules simple enough that the game takes on a life of its own as other players enjoy it and begin modifying the rules to suit themselves. My guess is that most games, including golf, evolved in this way and that the original inventor is less likely to receive credit when his creation gains popularity and is adapted by others.

Last edited:

RabbiHippie

"Look! A real hippie!"
Silver Member
Running Out at Golf

I watched a big guy named John Francis who was one of the best players in Northwest Arkansas run five holes at golf back in the early 1990s. (Ron Haley the cue maker was another player of that caliber from that area in those days.)

Here’s a video of someone running all six holes ...

https://youtu.be/F2p5Z9G4HLs

Running-out (or nearly so) seemed like quite an extraordinary feat when I saw it happen, but when I recently mentioned it to someone who knew and played with John Francis, he shrugged it off and said, “We can all do that.” I wish I had thought to offer a proposition bet for him to back up his words and demonstrate how easy it is on an actual table. I suspect I could’ve given 10:1 odds and still cleaned-up.

So my question is ... How rare is it for the best players to run all six holes in a single inning?

Last edited: