What happened to Howard Vickery

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Kenny played some of his best pool in Marysville.
Not sure how many people from the forum used to go to that tournament, but it was a good small one.

Known Kenny a long time, and always impressed with his game and attitude.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kenny played some of his best pool in Marysville.
Not sure how many people from the forum used to go to that tournament, but it was a good small one.

Known Kenny a long time, and always impressed with his game and attitude.

How did these guys play compared to Peru Paul?

Ken

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member

Ken

I can't answer the question, but I knew Paul from the late 80's until he died. I can remember being at a tournament about 89 or 90, that had the who's who of pool players for the midwest. Believe went for the most money in the calcutta, and think he ended up winning.

Was a two day tournament, and there were quite a few good players in it. Remember watching Jr Rogers shooting one handed jacked up practicing, and not missing a ball.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
You've got 2 Paul's.

Paul when his mix of alcohol is right, and Paul when he isn't right.
I'd say it would be real close on a bar table, but Paul was never a great big table player.

The one thing Paul did have going for him was the number of people who wanted to bet on him. His steady backer and friend would put him up against really anyone who came through his town or at the tournament.

It was funny, I knew Kenny from Players and Marysville before I knew that he was really good friends with my Uncle and they both drove the same routes for Kroger.

Ken

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As you guys mentioned I saw Paul only a couple times and only on a bar table. From those sightings he was a great player. He seemed pretty old so I guessed he was a mid-west terror earlier (younger) days. Ken

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums mobile app

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Ken

Kenny in the late 60s and 70s pocketed balls as good as anybody I ever watched, some road players beat him at pushout, that were just better thinkers, but when they started playing Texas Express it aided him.
He wouldn't play the name players without a spot, and he wasn't going to bet a lot of money , or go off for more than a couple hundred even if they gave it to him, so most of them just passed on him.
The ones that didn't usually regretted it.
He was absolutely one of the best 10.00 nine ball players who ever lived. He is in his 80s now and he still beats everybody but seasoned players.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Well, now I know. It looks like he did six years and is out on probation. He used to be a friend of mine and was well liked on the pool tour. He never gave any indication of any perverse behavior at any tournaments I worked, but the only person who really hung out with Howard was Mike Lebron. In hindsight I never knew Howard to have a girl friend, although I'm pretty sure he had a wife back in Ohio but I never saw her at any tourneys.

True, I was curious about whether he was still in prison. I knew he had a gotten a fairly long sentence. As I recall now, someone may have told me he made a plea deal to avoid the possibility of getting a longer sentence. Unlike some of you I'm not so quick to condemn someone. I do know that people have gone to prison on trumped up charges of child molestation after stories have been coerced from kids under duress. Look up the McMartin trial if you don't believe me. That turned out to be totally false accusations that ruined an entire family. And they weren't the only ones.

(My buddy Amarillo Slim was also charged but never convicted for similar offenses. His daughter later recounted her testimony, saying she had been pressured into making accusations against him. I talked to him about it years later and he said the sheriff was out to get him because Slim had outsmarted him in the past in an unrelated matter.)

I knew about Slim’s trouble and I felt bad...I never knew there might be another side to the
story....I went looking for him in Amarillo when I was a kid...he liked snooker....
...and the stories of his gambling exploits were interesting, to say the least.

This left me a little room in my heart for the chance that he was innocent.