Pool Change ? $ ?

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
The product feels different now. Matchroom has their perspectives, ideas, employees, cash and motives.

The audience is the Planet, no home town will dominate, it's global. It's Like advanced Soccer match play on TV, Worldwide More Players.

Tv production will be perfected, the game will move forward.

It will still be a fringe sport/kinda/Asian/nope :).

Has possibilities that are yet to be Opened. I'm not sure what the future will beeeeee….for the players, the audience and the sport itself. Best Guess?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The product feels different now. Matchroom has their perspectives, ideas, employees, cash and motives.

The audience is the Planet, no home town will dominate, it's global. It's Like advanced Soccer match play on TV, Worldwide More Players.

Has possibilities that are yet to be Opened. I'm not sure what the future will beeeeee….for the players, the audience and the sport itself. Best Guess?
Present is not too bad but the future is looking like big things to come. I think we'll see Chinese 8ball really come on strong in next five years as well. Love seeing Matchroom making these big moves.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I know it's been mentioned but, I wish they would try to get in line with Netflix and the like.

Like you said, "world wide"....thing is, the very same movie (think matches) can and are shown on Netflix, hulu, Amazon prime.....etc...etc.....the list is literally endless and all at the same time for a very, very reasonable monthly or yearly fee.

Add it to flix as an net original and gazillions could be made off of people that don't even watch pool.

^^^^^^ could very well work and work very well at that.

Jeff

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's literally impossible for a big group to make money off of pool players because the average pool fan is cheap. Not to mention, there isn't enough die hard pool fans to matter.

Pool needs to find a way to piggyback off the general public by being added to something that most buy anyway....again, Netflix or the like.

Don't know "who" it will take but, I do know how it would work.

Only thing is, I'm not sure Matchroom would want to give that big of a piece to another corporation that's big enough to take them over a million times again.

Jeff

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's literally impossible for a big group to make money off of pool players because the average pool fan is cheap. Not to mention, there isn't enough die hard pool fans to matter.

Pool needs to find a way to piggyback off the general public by being added to something that most buy anyway....again, Netflix or the like.

Don't know "who" it will take but, I do know how it would work.

Only thing is, I'm not sure Matchroom would want to give that big of a piece to another corporation that's big enough to take them over a million times again.

Jeff
Why would someone like Netflix jack with pool? I don't see mainstream co's. like that ever having anything to do with pool. Unless pool suddenly explodes i see its future squarely in the pay-per-view camp. I can see Matchroom and CSI running their own streams but not big boys like Amazon, N'Flix etc.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why would someone like Netflix jack with pool? I don't see mainstream co's. like that ever having anything to do with pool. Unless pool suddenly explodes i see its future squarely in the pay-per-view camp. I can see Matchroom and CSI running their own streams but not big boys like Amazon, N'Flix etc.

Oh, I agree 1000%.
I wasn't saying that's what will happen. However, I was saying that if Netflix or the like ever did add a billiard channel to their list, it would mean millions and millions and millions of dollars for the players and not one single cent would come from the pool world in general.

Again, it's a dream but, if it happened, people like you and I could watch all pro matches without spending a dime since most already have Netflix, Amazon etc...etc.

Let a fella dream, won't you? J/K...somewhat lol

Jeff

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
As noted, I doubt an organization like Netflix would ever touch pool. After all, pool's biggest problem is its failure to attract the demographic groups that advertisers outside the pool industry are most trying to reach. Until that changes, pool can never be anything but the marginally profitable niche sport it is today.

That said, however, the game's profile can be improved and having Matchroom running as much of the show as possible is pool's best bet. Snooker fans know that a) Barry Hearn changed snooker's image and made a pub game very respectable, and b) it took him more than a few years to do it.

If Matchroom, the premier event producer and promoter in pool, can make pool more respectable, pool's reach will grow and it could possibly begin to attract a different fan base.

Nonetheless, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Matchroom will surely fail unless others follow its lead and that means other producers/promoters, and, even more importantly, poolroom owners. In my view, the wrong image of the game in other pool events and in the poolrooms of the world would make this kind of progress near impossible. Everyone needs to be on board.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
As noted, I doubt an organization like Netflix would ever touch pool. After all, pool's biggest problem is its failure to attract the demographic groups that advertisers outside the pool industry are most trying to reach. Until that changes, pool can never be anything but the marginally profitable niche sport it is today.

That said, however, the game's profile can be improved and having Matchroom running as much of the show as possible is pool's best bet. Snooker fans know that a) Barry Hearn changed snooker's image and made a pub game very respectable, and b) it took him more than a few years to do it.

If Matchroom, the premier event producer and promoter in pool, can make pool more respectable, pool's reach will grow and it could possibly begin to attract a different fan base.

Nonetheless, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Matchroom will surely fail unless others follow its lead and that means other producers/promoters, and, even more importantly, poolroom owners. In my view, the wrong image of the game in other pool events and in the poolrooms of the world would make this kind of progress near impossible. Everyone needs to be on board.

One things for sure, Snooker players look sharp. Another given, Matchroom will hold the 2020 event....then 5 more after that. What is ''after that'' going to be in 2026?

Pool-players being from different continents/country's....kinda has that ''league'' feel thing....that type of business model has been successful here in the states. BCA/Valley/etc.

To become succe$$ful....9 ball pool, will likely become be an international, Global Game. The general public needs to see our game played to perfection. When that happens the game will move forward.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yep, it takes a village.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The retired NFL guys on ESPN, when asked about their first salaries, they say it was something like 40k. Sports take time to evolve.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't forget that we are pool fans.

We might not be the most qualified to judge the potential popularity of the game from a general perspective.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
To become succe$$ful....9 ball pool, will likely become be an international, Global Game. The general public needs to see our game played to perfection. When that happens the game will move forward.

Yes and no. Agree that it needs to keep growing as an international sport. Disagree that the public needs to see the game played to perfection. What the public needs to see is the game and its competitors PRESENTED to perfection, for that is what would change people's minds about pool. The public could just as easily be captivated by Donny Mills as JL Chang, even though they play at different levels. I'm happy to leave the presentation decisions to Matchroom, given their track record.