New break rule thought?

ottersbro

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
how about this for a new break rule.

break the balls, then if you make a ball you must pushout, your opponent
then has the option of accepting the shot or give it back.

this also applies if you don't make a ball on the break your opponent must then pushout.

I know it will stop the break and runs, but it should help stop the rack mechanics., it also might make for a more strategic game.

maybe this has been tried already, i don't know, but i thought it would be
interesting.

any thoughts on this?

9 ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

this also applies if you don't make a ball on the break your opponent must then pushout.

I know it will stop the break and runs, but it should help stop the rack mechanics., it also might make for a more strategic game.

interesting.

any thoughts on this?

1. Stop trying to change the break shot, it won't work.
2. Switch solely to 10 ball problem solved (Hard Breaks, Strategies & Runouts achieved & no rack tampering).

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Did you see Paul Schofield's idea? He's been running tournaments where you shoot after every break, and just alternate breaks. Swears it's the future of pool.

The rollout thing just seems to guarantee you're forced to shoot a trick shot or tough safety after every break. Not sure I like it much.

We like to pretend every rollout is a mind game where player A sees some deep secret option that player B overlooked, and then when it's passed back he executes it. But really it's just "I'll make things as awkward as possible" and then whoever feels like they can execute better, takes a stab at it.

If the rollout results in a good safe or shot, great, but it doesn't have to... a good rollout might make either outcome a 50/50 proposition.

Doesn't seem like a good trade... lose break'n'runs (which are a fun part of the game), and in exchange the first shot of the match is always an uncertain outcome.

TheNewSharkster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

interesting.

any thoughts on this?

If that rule was in place why would you ever break hard? Seems to me people would soft break and push out to a table that is hard to run out.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

interesting.

any thoughts on this?
This has been proposed before. I don't know if anyone has tried it in a tournament. Paul Schofield has implemented a different fix: breaker has the first shot regardless of how many balls were made. You can see his entire set of rules on his room's website http://www.goldcrownbilliardseriepa.com/.

While the break at nine ball may be solved by moving to ten ball, that game has its own problems with the break.

stljohnny

knowledge > execution. :(
Silver Member
I'm pretty sure Accu-Stats had this rule in place for one of their events recently... If I had more time, I'd go look up, but I'd bet it was for something done earlier this year. ... "Pro Arena Rules", I think they were called?

Majic

With The Lights ON !!
Silver Member
has anyone tried turning the 9 ball rack 90 degrees so the short distance is front to back?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
has anyone tried turning the 9 ball rack 90 degrees so the short distance is front to back?
That's like the 7 ball rack. I think a ball is more or less dead from the 7 ball rack.

John Novak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

interesting.

any thoughts on this?

Pat Fleming did this at DCC a couple of years ago with the pros.. It was a race to 1 pushout after the break. They seemed to enjoy the pushout rule. At least you know you will always be up to the table each rack.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its not the break

The break isnt the problem..., we need more tournaments that pay better and pay deeper into the field, so that I guy who gets knocked out still havs a chance to get back at it sooner and has the cash to do it, even if he finishes 10 thru 15 or 20th.

Playing hard, to walk away with $150 makes everything a problem, even the break!

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking at the title of this thread, It is hard for me to resist commenting. I will post only once. I will say what I know for sure.

Never destroy or diminish break-and-run. Players live to do it and spectators want to see it. It's pool's version of perfection. Other sports have it and pool also needs to have it.

To the betterment of the game, these rules (No Conflict Rules) have redefined what break-and-run is. Players of all calibers like them.