Rules for Playing the Ghost

Which rules do you prefer?

• 1A: Scratch on the break is a win for the ghost.

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • 1B: Scratch on the break is okay, take BIH and try to runout.

Votes: 45 78.9%
  • 2A: 9 ball on the break doesn't count in the 2 nearest corner pockets.

Votes: 18 31.6%
  • 2B: 9 on the break counts anywhere.

Votes: 27 47.4%
  • 3A: Cue ball fouls only.

Votes: 37 64.9%
  • 3B: All balls touched are fouls.

Votes: 11 19.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
We've got a little movement going to start another thread like the straight pool high run thread, but with the 9 ball ghost. Just wanted to take a poll and see what everyone thinks about what rules we should use since there are several variations out there.
(Every two choices is a pair, so please pick one of each for a total of three choices)

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I voted for all 3 but it may have only given credit for one unless someone just voted on the scratch rule and left the others blank.

eddie0776

Bishop Cues
Silver Member
The way I play it is, bih after break (scratch is ok), nine doesn't count on break- spot it up, combos on nine during game doesn't count spots up and keep shooting and cue ball only fouls.

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've got to say I'm actually surprised at the results thus far. I've always assumed that the assumption was you are playing a top speed player so if you miss you lose, so basically a scratch would be run out against you.

I'm not trying to change anyone’s opinion or say any which way is wrong, it's just kind of different to see the different rules people play by whether it be playing the ghost or the bar rules. I can definitely see where misinterpretations of the rules come from. :)

Edit: I actually thought more people would play all ball fouls too although I voted for only cb fouls because if I were to try to play all ball fouls I would probably be around 1-100 against that dreaded ghost. Take my .02 for what it's worth as I'm probably the worst player posting around here, I look forward to posting my videos and embarrassing myself.

Last edited:

LNCPA

Registered
I think you need to set the rules according to your current game level and what you're trying to get ready for. If you're preparing for a pro-level match or tournament then assume that you lose for scratching on the break and play the all balls foul rule to get your mind ready for that.
If you're a B or C level player just trying to improve your game and testing it as you go then those rules only make the game too tough.

mamics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue ball fouls only ?

Please elaborate... (sorry for the noob question...)

Normal fouls (All balls touched are fouls) = normal BCA rules ?
How often would one have to penalise oneself for fouling in this manner (All balls touched are fouls) v's the ghost ? It would be awfully rare I would have thought ? [ I could be mistaken... ]

Thanx.
Cheers.

Last edited:

LuckyStroke

Full Splic Addict
Silver Member
Watch Dennis play the ghost

In my mind, the ghost is the worst opponent. If you miss or foul, it's a win for the ghost. BIH after the break and just don't miss. I think if you scratch on the break it should be a loss, because you're turning the table over to your opponent. Nine on the break should count as a win, because you maintain control.

I once beat the ghost in a race to five. Why five? Because I was ahead ;)

Ben

Last edited: