Ginacue Question

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
A friend is looking to purchase a Ginacue, and he showed me some photos and he told me he was a little concerned because there was no signature on it. I've come across a few in the past but can't recall if they were signed or not.

So anyway, for all you experts out there, does Ernie hand-sign most or all of his cues?

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
A friend is looking to purchase a Ginacue, and he showed me some photos and he told me he was a little concerned because there was no signature on it. I've come across a few in the past but can't recall if they were signed or not.

So anyway, for all you experts out there, does Ernie hand-sign most or all of his cues?

Ernie Gutierrez (Ginacue) places his logo signature (Ginacue) in the top of the joint, and can easily be seen by looking down into the top of the butt by the joint pin. He also has a numbering scheme there which informs of the year, the type of joint ( S or I for steel or ivory), and the serial number of that given year. :wink:

Will Prout

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Victori, I think you are referring to the hand written signature high up on th forearm. If so, not all are signed that way. Will could better advise when he started doing that, however around 1998 Ernie made 4 cues for me which I still own. None were signed in the forearm as I described although one player was "ghost signed" in a point, ( signed so it only shows at an angle in the light).

Will, do you know when Ernie started doing this?

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

When you have a cue made, Ernie will ask you if you want the signature on the forearm. He'll do it in black or a kind ghost ink that is less prominent but still visible. I always though the nice little Ginacue emblem on the butt plate was plenty so I declined. I don't believe it's actually hand-signed. Its kinda an elaborate (and large) recreation of his actual signature.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Victori, I think you are referring to the hand written signature high up on th forearm. If so, not all are signed that way. Will could better advise when he started doing that, however around 19997 Ernie made 4 cues for me which I still own. None were signed in the forearm as I described although one player was "ghost signed" in a point, ( signed so it only shows at an angle in the light).

I had a cue made around 15 years ago and he didn't offer the signature. I had another made about five years ago and it was an option, so it's a relatively recent thing.

Lou Figueroa

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not a fan of the signing of cues on forearm.

Put a logo on it or do the joint deal like Ernie does.

JMO,

Ken

branpureza

Ginacue
Silver Member
When you have a cue made, Ernie will ask you if you want the signature on the forearm. He'll do it in black or a kind ghost ink that is less prominent but still visible. I always though the nice little Ginacue emblem on the butt plate was plenty so I declined. I don't believe it's actually hand-signed. Its kinda an elaborate (and large) recreation of his actual signature.

Lou Figueroa

They are hand-signed. That's his real signature on each cue.

His earlier cues won't have it though.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=98343&page=2&highlight=signature

Last edited:

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
I don't believe Ernie signed many (if any) cues prior to his retirement. I am the original owner of one of his first 100 cues and it is not signed. I also have two that were made since he came back and they are both signed (purchased around 2009).

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Victori, I think you are referring to the hand written signature high up on th forearm. If so, not all are signed that way. Will could better advise when he started doing that, however around 19997 Ernie made 4 cues for me which I still own. None were signed in the forearm as I described although one player was "ghost signed" in a point, ( signed so it only shows at an angle in the light).

Hi Phil,

Ernie Gutierrez' signature is world class, just like his cues. The ghost signature in the forearm
is a relatively new (in Ernie-years) process, I think sometime after 2000.

I also have a few of his cues with very unusual, rare signatures.
One is signed "Ginacue by Ernie".
Another is hand engraved Ginacue with the "A" very large in the middle, the largest letter, sticking up like a mountain. His coolest one ever!
Another is signed on the top part of the joint that tightens up snug against the shaft.

I will take a picture of these and post them.

Will Prout

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
I don't believe Ernie signed many (if any) cues prior to his retirement. I am the original owner of one of his first 100 cues and it is not signed. I also have two that were made since he came back and they are both signed (purchased around 2009).

Ernie is not yet retired. He is completing his Anniversary cues right now.:thumbup:

Will

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Phil,

Ernie Gutierrez' signature is world class, just like his cues. The ghost signature in the forearm
is a relatively new (in Ernie-years) process, I think sometime after 2000.

I also have a few of his cues with very unusual, rare signatures.
One is signed "Ginacue by Ernie".
Another is hand engraved Ginacue with the "A" very large in the middle, the largest letter, sticking up like a mountain. His coolest one ever!
Another is signed on the top part of the joint that tightens up snug against the shaft.

I will take a picture of these and post them.

Will Prout

Hello Will,
I looked inside of one of the first of 4 Gina's Ernie made for me, the paperwork is stored away. 1998. He delivered all within a tear of the first, one the two players is ghost signed. If you recall, I was not aware of it until in a phone conversation we had maybe 4 years ago. You told me to look in the light...there it was if held correctly.

I spoke with Ernie several weeks ago and he was somewhat noncommital. He said with the anniversary cues and whatever, he had two years work. He is considering retiring. I told him my only regret in retirement from the women's shoe business was I did it 45 years too late. -:)
BR
Phil

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello Will,
I looked inside of one of the first of 4 Gina's Ernie made for me, the paperwork is stored away. 1998. He delivered all within a tear of the first, one the two players is ghost signed. If you recall, I was not aware of it until in a phone conversation we had maybe 4 years ago. You told me to look in the light...there it was if held correctly.

I spoke with Ernie several weeks ago and he was somewhat noncommital. He said with the anniversary cues and whatever, he had two years work. He is considering retiring. I told him my only regret in retirement from the women's shoe business was I did it 45 years too late. -:)
BR
Phil

I heard that the 50 50th anniversary cues were all spoken for already. Don't know if that's fact.

Lou Figueroa

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Ernie is not yet retired. He is completing his Anniversary cues right now.:thumbup:

Will

You mean he's not yet retired again. :grin-square: I was referring to his "first" retirement, before he came back into the business around '88. :thumbup:

Last edited:

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Thanks for the replies, guys.

I went with him to check out the cue yesterday and everything looked fine, except the bumper looked funny, so I tried to pull it out and it just popped off to reveal a giant screw contraption inside. Not sure if it is there for weight or to hold the buttcap on, but either way, it just looked wrong and the guy seemed a little shady as well so that was the end of that.

Attachments

• S__4046852.jpg
    S__4046852.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 643
  • S__4046853.jpg
    S__4046853.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 644

thefonz

It's not me...it's my ADD
Silver Member
I'm no expert but I've never seen screws like that on any of the post 1988 Ginacues I've owned.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
That's just the Gina "G" logo.

The ivory buttcap was also a completely different color from the ivory inlays in the cue, which combined with the giant screw, leads me to believe that the buttcap is not original and was replaced at some point in time.

JimmyRayK

Gina collector
Silver Member
That's just the Gina "G" logo.

The ivory buttcap was also a completely different color from the ivory inlays in the cue, which combined with the giant screw, leads me to believe that the buttcap is not original and was replaced at some point in time.

I owned a Ginacue a few years ago and I swear it had exactly the same set up. Unusual, but possible. Send the picture to Ernie via email and he'll answer your questions.

ginacue@yahoo.com

Hope this helps,
JimmyK