Slick Leather Wrap

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok folks, I got my Pechauer cue the other day and its quite impressive. Very nice hit and looks great too! Pics are attached.

However, the Oil Tanned Spanish Bull leather wrap is pretty slick. Are there any tips and/or shortcuts that can help make the leather wrap less slick? Or is Father Time my only hope here?

r/DCP

Attachments

• Pechauer#3.JPG
    Pechauer#3.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 520
  • Pechauer#1.JPG
    Pechauer#1.JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 503

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The leather on the Predator Willie Hoppe was so slippery that the cue literally flew out of my hand on the first shot I hit.

I've stayed away from leather since, but lizard is nice if you keep it nick-free.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been giving Pechauers a good look lately, but I think they really do themselves a disservice with the proprietary joint.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Had the same concern with my new 1978 Zamboti and its leather grip. My hands are dry and the ''tack'' is what finally made me sell the cue, should of had linen. During match play I had to lay the cue sideways, in my lap and hold the grip area with both hands to keep it warm and get the tack right.

Here are some suggestions. Get some pure lanolin and apply it. Or consider (like a tip pick) puncturing small holes in the grip area to open up the leather to absorb more lanolin. Maybe rough up the surface slightly and take off the top ''slick'' area?

Better yet....you might call a saddle shop or two, anywhere in the US and ask em some of their leather tricks.

15cherries

15cherries
Silver Member
saddle shops is correct

My daughter rides horses and I have been using a product on my cues leather wraps for years that makes them less shiny and less slippery, my wraps are 10-15 years old and look and feel better than new, the product is called lederbalsam, buy one container and it will last for ever, also works great on my case, keeps it soft and no cracking in 10-15 years. Take care of your leather and it will last a lifetime.

Last edited:

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
At your own risk you might try a real light coat of ALL NATURAL LEATHER CONDITIONER ITEM NO. 97104 from Red Wing Shoes. After you apply gently wipe with terry cloth rag.

That wrap is loved because of the feel. It’s like a superfine micro suede. Like most things not everyone’s cup of tea.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
rosin

The advice of fifteen cherries sounds good. A little rosin would probably solve the problem too and you should be able to get it at most any sporting goods store. A little rosin goes a long ways.

Whatever you use, a light coating is all leather needs. Overdoing anything rarely works well with leather.

Hu

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I know people who swear by certain conditioners, but I prefer to leave them original or just a very light treatment.
Some of the leather wraps I've seen treated to make them more grippe have softened up too much and start to feel rubbery, which is not a good feel.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Clu is in the title "oil tanned Spanish bull" the easiets and least obtrusive way to make the grip coarser, is just to keep playing pool.
The leather will get dirty and start to somewhat dry out.