APA rules question

UGC

Registered
This is my first session with APA, and I'm Team Captain. We're going to the playoffs, so I figured I would brush up on the rules so I know them better. Started reading the rule book from page 1 on, and came across this in the latest Team Manual, on page 39, it says, "You may change cues and/or cue shafts during a game provided the cues and/or shafts you are switching to do not violate any rules of use, and you remain within the time guidelines. "

So, I'm thinking I could get a light weight playing cue and just put a hard leather tip on it. Use it for jump shots/breaking only, and still be within the guide lines of the rules.- but everyone is telling me I can't do that.

My question is why can't you? It states in the rule book that you CAN.

What rule am I breaking if I change playing cues in the middle of a game?

Thanks for your feedback and thoughts on this.

EDIT: This is not Masters, just regular APA.

Last edited:

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From the APA website:

24. EQUIPMENT REGULATIONS – Laser devices, mechanical cues and training/practice aids may not be used in League play. Some specialty cues may be allowed on a limited basis. Special equipment, such as bridges and cue extenders, are legal. Players are expected to use equipment consistent with its intended purpose. Additional equipment guidelines applicable during APA League play are set forth below:

Jump Cues – Are not allowed.
Break Cues – Sometimes combined with jump cues to form a jump-break cue, these cues are allowed in Tournament play for breaking only.
Regular Shooting Cues – These cues may be used to perform jump shots, massé shots and break shots in all APA League and Tournament play. You may not “break down” your Regular Shooting Cue to perform a jump shot.

I think having a regular cue disguised as a jump/ break cue would.certainly violate the spirit of the rule, and could possibly be a sportsmanship violation.

My advice, as a captain, is to learn to kick and to jump with your player.

Last edited:

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Went back and added to my original post. The rule you refer to is there to allow people who lose a tip, crack a ferrule, or heck just not shooting well with there current shaft, to be able to change shafts or cues during a match.

I do not think your LO will allow you to work a loop hole in the rules

UGC

Registered
And that's the thing, I'm not trying to work a loophole or be tricky. You would think if that rule was in place to correct a broken tip..ect, (problems with the cue), they would have worded it as such. As I read it, you are able to change playing cues anytime you want.

Would like to say this too: I have not tried, or attempted to change cues during a game. This question has not came up at all during a match. I'm just trying to clarify this in case it ever does.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I don't see it as a blatant violation or even loophole. It allows break cues. It allows multiple cues. It allows jumping with your playing cue. It doesn't prohibit jumping with your break cue. If you read them carefully all they really seem to be prohibiting is short length jump cues.
I don't see anything anywhere that says anything about it having to do with a broken tip or cracked shaft.
Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

UGC

Registered
logical> We read it the same. But I'm getting 99% of the feedback to this question as a No-Go.

UGC

Registered
Rickhem is correct. I want to make this a point also; Breaking with your regular playing cue doesn't make it a "Breaking Cue" according to the rule book (page 38). Also, performing a jump shot with your regular cue doesn't make it a "Jump Cue". Below is a copy/paste of the rules directly out of the rule book:
"Regular Shooting Cues - These cues may be used to perform jump shots, massé shots and break shots in all APA League and Tournament play. You may not “break down” your Regular Shooting Cue to perform a jump shot. NOTE 1: Using a regular shooting cue to break does not qualify it as a “break cue”."

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
I am not an APA player.

I would submit that my method would be to introduce the cue into the game on a normal shot then switch to the preferred shooter
(Would shoot more than 1 ball). I would then have it established as a shooter as opposed to breaker or jumper.

UGC

Registered
I'm not trying to loophole the rules. Either you can do it, or you can't. But what if I'm in a match, and my opponent switches cues in the middle of the game? We all carry a rule book during the match, but I wouldn't be able to reference any rule to stop them from doing so.

Hence the confusion.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not an APA player.

I would submit that my method would be to introduce the cue into the game on a normal shot then switch to the preferred shooter
(Would shoot more than 1 ball). I would then have it established as a shooter as opposed to breaker or jumper.

This is a good suggestion. I would also clarify with your LO for final word. I have never seen a player alternate between two regular shooters in the same match. I have changed from a wrapped to a wrap-less butt in between games though.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
The rule states that break cues can be used for breaking only.

See post #2 in this thread.
Or does it. I could read it as saying that a combo (3 piece) jump-break cue can be used for break only. Does that restriction apply to any break cue or just a jump-break cue.

Sent from the future.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
? I don't get what you mean?

People constantly complain on here about anything other than pool being on ESPN.

This thread is a prime example of a longstanding league who still seemingly cannot write a clear and concise set of rules, that are not open to loose interpretation.

And to be clear, APA is not alone in this. Other leagues/organizations have similar issues with their rule sets. That statement itself is telling because every one of those organizations operate on a different set of rules.

Cornhole. You stand so many feet back and throw a beanbag through a hole in a board.

Pretty simple.

Thats why cornhole is on ESPN. :thumbup:

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Specifications Matter

I see the problem being the apparent fact that APA doesn't specify a break cue; meaning, they don't unambiguously describe what makes a break cue a break cue.

They say "[p]layers are expected to use equipment consistent with its intended purpose." But they don't go into detail as to who's intent is involved, the manufacturer, or the user, for example.

I think that having two "regular shooting cues," one lighter, and with a hard tip, and one 'conventional,' and switching between the two during a game would be fine.

UGC

Registered
I agree with you. But I'm getting answers from every view point possible. I've actually emailed the APA this direct question, with the rule book reference. Probably won't here anything back for a few days. But I will post their answer here so everyone knows the meaning of this rule.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
1 cue, run what u brung. No breaking it down or building it up, you are playing amateur pool, act like it.

You wanna be a pro and have 7 different cues, fine. Dont bring that shit around here though.

Btw, pros should have 2 cues - you decide which ones you wanna bring.

I had a league down the street from me, everybody had 3 or 4 cues and not a 1 of them would bet a nickle on any game. Nevermind that they couldnt win if they had a 1,000 cues. What I wondered was WTF you doin with the 3 or 4 you got?

Dont get me wrong, I'm happy they are having a good time and supporting the game(cuemakers, etc.) My problem is, they cant hit the end rail and want free table time, discounted water, and free t shirts. Who TF you think you are, Earl, Shane, Filler??? Even those guys wouldn't expect that and these mf'ers dont know which end to rack from.

Ok, I feel better.......kinda.

UGC

Registered
1 cue, run what u brung. No breaking it down or building it up, you are playing amateur pool, act like it.

You wanna be a pro and have 7 different cues, fine. Dont bring that shit around here though.

Btw, pros should have 2 cues - you decide which ones you wanna bring.

I had a league down the street from me, everybody had 3 or 4 cues and not a 1 of them would bet a nickle on any game. Nevermind that they couldnt win if they had a 1,000 cues. What I wondered was WTF you doin with the 3 or 4 you got?

Dont get me wrong, I'm happy they are having a good time and supporting the game(cuemakers, etc.) My problem is, they cant hit the end rail and want free table time, discounted water, and free t shirts. Who TF you think you are, Earl, Shane, Filler??? Even those guys wouldn't expect that and these mf'ers dont know which end to rack from.

Ok, I feel better.......kinda.

Understand this is the way you feel, and that's fine. But it has nothing to do with what the rules are.