Lucasi cue and with three shafts

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey guys, I just won this auction, what do I have here?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lucasi-Pool-Cue-3-Shafts-2x4-Cowboy-Case-/163992684499?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=ahZixLDO%252FHpFkTown011fy75trY%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

I think Lucasi are good cues, and the idea of getting three shafts was intriguing. I can't find what the "309" on the butt means.

Thanks,

jv

it is a model number i believe. probably from the period after they used roman numbers?

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it is a model number i believe. probably from the period after they used roman numbers?
309 is a date code. First # is year then month. This cue was made in Sept. of '03. Does it have threaded pin instead of Uniloc? The early cues had Roman numerals and threaded pins. This one is probably Uniloc. Really a nice cue. They play as good a Joss any day. I've owned three of the older Lucasi's and never felt shorted in any way.

Last edited:

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
309 is a date code. First # is year then month. This cue was made in Sept. of '03. Does it have threaded pin instead of Uniloc? The early cues had Roman numerals and threaded pins. This one is probably Uniloc. Really a nice cue. They play as good a Joss any day. I've owned three of the older Lucasi's and never felt shorted in any way.

I bought my Lucasi in 2009 and it has 711 on the butt.
I thought the numbers on the butt were production codes not dates.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pics

Here are some pics of my find:

s-l1600-35.jpg

s-l1600-36.jpg

s-l1600-37.jpg

s-l1600-38.jpg

s-l1600-39.jpg

s-l1600-40.jpg

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

cool, i did not know that. my main cue is an old roman numbered lucasi. their newer designs have never appealed to me, too much spaceship. same with newer predators

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Personally, I think the OP got a lot of cue and case for the money. A great case in good condition (not a fan of white though), and a nice-looking cue with all the shafts he will ever need. I wish I had run across a deal like that when I had bought my Lucasi back in '07.

I be willing to bet the OP's cue is a Uni-loc joint.

Nice find, jviss.

Maniac

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Personally, I think the OP got a lot of cue and case for the money. A great case in good condition (not a fan of white though), and a nice-looking cue with all the shafts he will ever need. I wish I had run across a deal like that when I had bought my Lucasi back in '07.

I be willing to bet the OP's cue is a Uni-loc joint.

Nice find, jviss.

Maniac
Thanks, Maniac. I confess I don't even know what a Uni-loc joint is, but maybe I will learn! I'll let you all know when I receive it, in a week or so.

Cheers,

jv

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A pretty good deal I'd say! Nice looking cue. :thumbup:

Thanks, it was a bit of an impulse purchase - so, now I have a cool cue. I mean, I also have a Schmelke cocobolo sneaky Pete I purchased in February. But this Lucasi looks really cool.

I'm looking forward to see what the shafts are all about.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's nice to have a back up shaft in case a tips falls off.
And different shafts can play differently.
Yes, indeed. I wonder if the shafts are all the same (I haven't received them yet). I'm hoping there will be an LD among them!

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's nice to have a back up shaft in case a tips falls off.
And different shafts can play differently.

If two different shafts from the same exact brand/model and they play differently imo it is a bad production.

This is just my opinion ofcourse since I've said it, but here's my justification.

If I want to buy a new shaft of the one that I love, I expect it to play exactly the same, when my old shaft is broken or tip falls off, and I put another shaft but the same brand/type lets say predator 314, then if I inserted another predator 314 into the butt, I expect 100% for it to play the same, it is why I bought it, otherwise it is bad production and it is created by random, I don't want random, I want it to play just how I am used to.

Very simple.

and you are right by the way, there are some brands of which I won't name that if you bought three or four shafts of the same model, each one will play different and feel different and to me, as I previously stated, this means flaws in production in my book, why would it even play different, I am not into getting used to, I want it to play the same as all other shafts of the same model.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If two different shafts from the same exact brand/model and they play differently imo it is a bad production.

This is just my opinion ofcourse since I've said it, but here's my justification.

If I want to buy a new shaft of the one that I love, I expect it to play exactly the same, when my old shaft is broken or tip falls off, and I put another shaft but the same brand/type lets say predator 314, then if I inserted another predator 314 into the butt, I expect 100% for it to play the same, it is why I bought it, otherwise it is bad production and it is created by random, I don't want random, I want it to play just how I am used to.

Very simple.

and you are right by the way, there are some brands of which I won't name that if you bought three or four shafts of the same model, each one will play different and feel different and to me, as I previously stated, this means flaws in production in my book, why would it even play different, I am not into getting used to, I want it to play the same as all other shafts of the same model.

Even the elite cue makers cannot guarantee all three shafts will play identical.

Having said that, laminated shafts are much closer from one ro another. Furthermore, at this time, IMO...only carbon fiber cue makers can promise and actually deliver multiple cues that play identical.

Jeff

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Very simple.

Wrong. NO two shafts play alike. Close maybe but not alike. That's just the nature of the wood itself, even laminates. I've owned quite a few cues by TOP makers and one shaft ALWAYS played better. NOTHING to do with flaws.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member

Very simple.

The dude that makes the maple trees that the maple shafts come from can make them as perfect as He wants.

So glad He chooses not to.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, indeed. I wonder if the shafts are all the same (I haven't received them yet). I'm hoping there will be an LD among them!

You can tell they are not LD by the ferrule. No LD shaft has had a long ferrule since maybe the first gen or two of the Predator shafts.

They looks pretty similar to each other but will likely have a different hit feel and maybe deflection properties. My Ned Morris cue came with three shafts but they all were really different, size, diameter, ferrule length, which was nice to have to try them.

As far as "needing" 3 shafts, between my son and I we probably have 10 shafts divided among a few joint types for our cues.