Does Donny want a rematch

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I was there, at Crooked Cue. And, I would agree Donny's in the very top echelon breaking. That said, and I think most would agree, Shane breaks better than anyone, period, 10 ball or 9 ball.
Fair enough. But under the format that they played, Donny had the breaking advantage IMO, which I believe can be proven by their breaking stats in that match. He only lost because Shane started running packages and Donny's shot making faltered.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Fair enough. But under the format that they played, Donny had the breaking advantage IMO, which I believe can be proven by their breaking stats in that match. He only lost because Shane started running packages and Donny's shot making faltered.

Let me first say Donny grew up playing in our room so I've been watching him since he was in his mid teens. So, not many are more familiar with Him than I am. That would include his breaks. But, that said, I would be really interested to see the break stats on that match. I do know Shane wasn't breaking as well as Donny for at least half the match and when he settled in to his normal break, he began pulling ahead. It sounds as if you have those stats. Post them here for us. Would be much appreciated, thanks.

And, just for the record, once again, Donny plays SCARY-good. And even though I think she's a stone-cold killer and by far the best female player I've seen, I believe Donny would win in a race to 100. And, of course, the time-tested qualifier here: This is simply MHO.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Let me first say Donny grew up playing in our room so I've been watching him since he was in his mid teens. So, not many are more familiar with Him than I am. That would include his breaks. But, that said, I would be really interested to see the break stats on that match. I do know Shane wasn't breaking as well as Donny for at least half the match and when he settled in to his normal break, he began pulling ahead. It sounds as if you have those stats. Post them here for us. Would be much appreciated, thanks.

And, just for the record, once again, Donny plays SCARY-good. And even though I think she's a stone-cold killer and by far the best female player I've seen, I believe Donny would win in a race to 100. And, of course, the time-tested qualifier here: This is simply MHO.
I believe that AtLarge may have generated the stats. Because I recall the insane wing-ball making percentage level being somewhere north of 80%. Maybe if he sees these posts, he can supply the stats if he still has them.

EDIT: I did a quick search and couldn't find these particular stats.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
I believe that AtLarge may have generated the stats. Because I recall the insane wing-ball making percentage level being somewhere north of 80%. Maybe if he sees these posts, he can supply the stats if he still has them.

Yeah, Donny has that break down pat. Not only the wing but the one always comes down below the head string and he pulls the rock to the side rail, then back behind the string so he almost always has the one straight in.

And, I'll say this about him. he adapts REALLY quickly. Whatever he was lacking in that Chen match break-wise, you can pretty much bet won't happen again.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Yeah, Donny has that break down pat. Not only the wing but the one always comes down below the head string and he pulls the rock to the side rail, then back behind the string so he almost always has the one straight in.

And, I'll say this about him. he adapts REALLY quickly. Whatever he was lacking in that Chen match break-wise, you can pretty much bet won't happen again.
Here is an older thread from back around the time that Donny and SVB played.

Someone mentions that Donny made the wing ball 82 out of 83 breaks in that match.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=163080&highlight=donny+mills+ball

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
If they play again I'm laying money on Donny.
Anyone who wants the action can discuss the details with me once the match is set.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Last edited:

Michael Andros

Silver Member
If they play again I'm laying money on Donny.
Anyone who wants the action can discuss the details with me once the match is set.

I'll second that but with a slight "hedge my bets" tossed in. If they play again and it's a race to 100, I'll take some on Donny from whomever. I'm not gonna bet the farm, but I will get in on it.

donny mills

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do want a rematch. I may not win but I will try. She out broke me and only won by 2 games. I bet the next time we play we will both play better. I’ll also side bet that the next time we play it will be me out breaking her.

jamesroberts

"Unheralded Amateur"
Silver Member
Donny are you mad at your backer?
Were you outclassed? Do you need a little spot?
Close the car lot for 2 weeks and go play a set for 100k and shut these astronauts up.
You ain't getting any younger now is your chance to jump, kid.

I'll be there to play Eye of the Tiger on jukebox and I'll play her some after you've finished. Show some heart.
Maybe I should be your manager.

medallio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Donny, short notice but tournament in Duluth mn had 2 players drop out last moment. Looking for players. Any interest?

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Sorry, I didn't do stats on that match. But I have looked at a couple of the old threads:

• This match was TAR17, played in Nov. 2009. Time flies!

• Shane led by 10 at 15-5 and 31-21. Then Donny won 26 of the next 40 games to take a 2-game lead after Day 1 at 47-45.

• Donny built his lead to 9 by winning 8 of the first 9 games on Day 2 (55-46), which means Donny had won 34 of 49 games at that point.

• Donny's lead was still significant at 68-61. Then Shane won 9 of the next 11 games to tie the match at 70-70.

• Then Shane started building his lead, getting to 10 ahead at 85-75. They played about even for the next 15 games, taking it to 92-83.

• Shane won the last 8 games in a row for a 100-83 victory. So Shane won 39 of the last 54 games.

So it was a match with a couple big winning stretches -- a 34-15 stretch (part in each of the two days) in Donny's favor and then a 39-15 stretch by Shane, apparently after (or mostly after) he changed to a power break.

[And, yes, Jaden reported at the time that Donny was wet on 82 of his 83 breaks.]

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I remember vividly that Donny only failed to make the wing ball once the entire race to 100. He would also get the one ball the two ball and the three ball to be all alone near the head string after the break.

Shane was trying so hard to duplicate the same break as Donny and simply couldn’t do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

medallio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s a 8 ball tournament in Duluth mn. SVB, Efren etc will be in it. $1000 entry but all lodging and food is covered. Players only need to come up with entry

Michael Andros

Silver Member
I do want a rematch. I may not win but I will try. She out broke me and only won by 2 games. I bet the next time we play we will both play better. I’ll also side bet that the next time we play it will be me out breaking her.

Tap tap tap...

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Sorry, I didn't do stats on that match. But I have looked at a couple of the old threads:

• This match was TAR17, played in Nov. 2009. Time flies!

• Shane led by 10 at 15-5 and 31-21. Then Donny won 26 of the next 40 games to take a 2-game lead after Day 1 at 47-45.

• Donny built his lead to 9 by winning 8 of the first 9 games on Day 2 (55-46), which means Donny had won 34 of 49 games at that point.

• Donny's lead was still significant at 68-61. Then Shane won 9 of the next 11 games to tie the match at 70-70.

• Then Shane started building his lead, getting to 10 ahead at 85-75. They played about even for the next 15 games, taking it to 92-83.

• Shane won the last 8 games in a row for a 100-83 victory. So Shane won 39 of the last 54 games.

So it was a match with a couple big winning stretches -- a 34-15 stretch (part in each of the two days) in Donny's favor and then a 39-15 stretch by Shane, apparently after (or mostly after) he changed to a power break.

[And, yes, Jaden reported at the time that Donny was wet on 82 of his 83 breaks.]

The boy can break.