Questions about big spots

peteWazzup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had a bunch of different answers to this question and it seems that I don't know what I am talking about so I am hoping I can get a consensus clarification on the following questions. Thanks.

1. The orange crush. Please someone finally tell me once and for all what the hell this means. I was under the impression that it meant breaks, BIH after break, and the five ball only. Then I hear its only the five ball, no breaks. Then I hear its the five out with/wo the breaks. Which is it, or is it none of these.

2. On the same topic. Is the five ball only a really big spot or does it just appear to be so.

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was under the impression that it meant breaks, BIH after break, and the five ball only.

This is what I know it as. Anyone that says it's just the 5 ball doesn't get the whole "crush" part of the phrase. I've always seen it as the break, bih after break (this sometimes varies, usually only when bickering regarding weight), and 5 ball spot ... not the 5 and out.

Gatz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always thought the Orange crush was the 5 ball and out and all of the breaks. Which is a pretty ridiculous spot for anybody if you ask me lol

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
I always thought the Orange crush was the 5 ball and out and all of the breaks. Which is a pretty ridiculous spot for anybody if you ask me lol

I think that would be more appropriately called the "orange-out crush" rather than "orange crush". Whenever I offered the orange crush to players, it was only the 5-ball and the breaks, nothing else. I always made sure to clarify and verify with my opponent his understanding of what "orange crush" entails before he broke the first rack, though.

It appears that folk aren't interpreting the "crush" part correctly, or are reading too far into the soda analogy -- as if, "that orange crush soda is so delicious, there has to be more to this spot than 'just' the 5-ball -- it's 'gotta' be 5-ball and out, to make it this delicious." Or something like that.

In the phrase "5-ball and out", the "...and out" part always needs to be part of the colloquial term, to make it clear. Nothing should *ever* be implied.

Anyway, I hope this is helpful.
-Sean