my thoughts' on Ronnie

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched most of his play this past week, he makes it look easy-we all know that. nobody plays any where near his standard currently. and he is fun to watch, Trump can try but he just aint there.

in his last 2 frames today aainst Carter it was 7-7, Ronnie just blasted in doubles like they were on a 7' American bar box, he seems to be toying with Carter(putting on a show-giving the fans something to watch) and ended the day 9/7 he looks as if he could win 13-4 if he chose to.

So this got me thinking(could be dangerous ;) )

he hasnt played a match in a year, I followed his story all year, "China is to far to go, I want to be with my family, etc " Rubbish!!!

Barry Hearn is a genius, nobody draws viewers as much as ronnie does in most likely most markets, So I got to thinking... I bet Barry paid Ronnie a HUGE amount of $$$ as a appearance fee to show up and play. Barry can sell more contracts to different markets(he referred to that in the press conference) makes snooker more marketable. Ronnie draws more viewers and that makes Barry more $$$, so its in his best interest to share that with Ronnie.

Thats how I see it, and its good for snooker, the fans, Ronnie, Barry. No losers with that biz decision.

best
eric:)

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I don't think Barry had to give Ronnie money, Eric....
...as #1 seed, he gets over 7,000 USD for just showing up...doesn't have to
make a ball.
Defending champion is seeded #1 no matter where he is in the rankings.

Right now Ronnie is guaranteed over 37,000 USD.

I watched most of his play this past week, he makes it look easy-we all know that. nobody plays any where near his standard currently. and he is fun to watch, Trump can try but he just aint there.

in his last 2 frames today aainst Carter it was 7-7, Ronnie just blasted in doubles like they were on a 7' American bar box, he seems to be toying with Carter(putting on a show-giving the fans something to watch) and ended the day 9/7 he looks as if he could win 13-4 if he chose to.

So this got me thinking(could be dangerous ;) )

he hasnt played a match in a year, I followed his story all year, "China is to far to go, I want to be with my family, etc " Rubbish!!!

Barry Hearn is a genius, nobody draws viewers as much as ronnie does in most likely most markets, So I got to thinking... I bet Barry paid Ronnie a HUGE amount of $$$ as a appearance fee to show up and play. Barry can sell more contracts to different markets(he referred to that in the press conference) makes snooker more marketable. Ronnie draws more viewers and that makes Barry more $$$, so its in his best interest to share that with Ronnie.

Thats how I see it, and its good for snooker, the fans, Ronnie, Barry. No losers with that biz decision.

best
eric:)

Nonsense, on all levels. Ronnie's at least 5 years past his sell-by date, can't pot a ball over 6 foot, plays careless shots and misses easy balls. He was extremely lucky yesterday, being comprehensively outplayed by Carter.

If he plays as the same and luck evens out, he'll lose tonight. He believes his own hype and thrives on the drama - never a good idea. It's entirely possible he'll win this tournament, but only on the basis everyone else gets out of the way - much like last year, in fact.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nonsense, on all levels. Ronnie's at least 5 years past his sell-by date, can't pot a ball over 6 foot, plays careless shots and misses easy balls. He was extremely lucky yesterday, being comprehensively outplayed by Carter.

If he plays as the same and luck evens out, he'll lose tonight. He believes his own hype and thrives on the drama - never a good idea. It's entirely possible he'll win this tournament, but only on the basis everyone else gets out of the way - much like last year, in fact.

hype sells, drama sells, bull shit sells. technical tactical snooker like Ebdon(off the top of my head) has its purists and followers-who are out numbered by the hype loving masses.

as for last year i watched every frame of the finals-thats a very long session to stay lucky for that long, i agree the 92? clearance was show boating, and thats EXACTLY why i think Barry made sure he was back again this year.

Clearly the $$ from the other events didnt persuade him, i wouldnt get out of bed for $20,000 unless its convenient, but for say $150,000-$500,000 i'd wake up very early and made sure i was ready to go. its all relative, i dont think ronnie gives a shit about $12.5K USD.

predator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He plays alright. Good enough to win the event against current opposition left in the tournament. But I don't think it is fair to say that he's toying with Carter. If you watched the match thus far, you'd know that it just as easily could have been 9-7 in favor of Ali, rather than Ronnie.
In fact, Ronnie opened up 5-1 lead mostly thanks to Carter's nervous start.
I feel for Ali Carter. Almost everyone wants him to lose, crowd, media, fans...you name them. On top of that, he plays against a guy he's never beaten in official professional tournament. It doesn't help that he also battles against Chron's disease...has to live off raw food. All of that is extremely tough to handle. I for one hope he makes it somehow. Looking forward to tonight's final session of Carter - O'Sullivan match...:wink:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i watched the last 2 frames of tonights match and he ran thru carter like a hot knife thru butter. Blasted in the final pink 45345miles/hour oh yeah it was a double again LOL , I aint in love with Ronnie, i just think its good marketing and a co-dependent relationship he shares with Barry Hearn to make $$$$.

I was hoping Mark Davis was going to win today, i like him, and his out look on life, snooker etc.

I only know what I see on TV about pro snooker, unlike pool where i personally know many top pros. So I could be wrong about everything, just seems to me its good marketing. and i like marketing as much as any cue sport.

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep, my apologises to Mr O'Sullivan - that was class. Still had a fair bit of the rub, mind.

i'm sure by reading your posts that you are MUCH more knowledgeable about snooker than I am, I been following it since 06, pool since 85. In 85 the first time I saw a snooker table I loved it, i like the ebb and flow of the game, the nature of the game much more than pool(i do like one pocket) tactical frames are my favorite. Total clearances are fun sometimes but not interesting unless the reds are tight and its a technical break.

I used to play more snooker than pool, but being in America I had no chance to be exposed to proper snooker until YouTube, Then in 06 I came to Germany(here now) and started following it.

I put a steel cushion Riley in my house in Vegas with Stcachen(SP?) cloth, very very fast, I played horrible. the 2 1/16" balls are much different than the 2 1/8" American snooker balls and our cushions are like on a regular pool table, they have the curved knuckles but not the flat face. Its a very very different game. My highest break was 53 or 56(cant recall it was in 88), I couldnt get near that on a proper table now, and I'm a much better pool player.

Alan Morris helped me get the table and everything else, great guy, so is his brother. Good lads(not bad for a California boy huh? :smile:)

I just enjoy snooker and admire Barry Hearn as a biz man and promoter. As I stated I dont know the back room dealings of snooker as I do some of what happens in pro pool in America(which I'm sworn to secrecy on), there is nothing bad going on there, just private things i cant discuss. I'm sure there must be in snooker as well, perhaps more because there is more money involved, the books monitor betting patterns, the Higgens thing 2-3 years ago and his suspension. So my post about Ronnie getting appearance money was a guess, perhaps it was graduated, the better he does the more he gets (on the side-above the allotted prize fund), and that speculation of mine could well be 10000% rubbish. I dont claim to know and certainly dont want to insult Barry, ronnie, snooker, you or anyone else. It was just a thought.

I'm excited for the rest of the matches, Mark Davis is out so i'm sad now.

best
eric:smile:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He plays alright. Good enough to win the event against current opposition left in the tournament. But I don't think it is fair to say that he's toying with Carter. If you watched the match thus far, you'd know that it just as easily could have been 9-7 in favor of Ali, rather than Ronnie.
In fact, Ronnie opened up 5-1 lead mostly thanks to Carter's nervous start.
I feel for Ali Carter. Almost everyone wants him to lose, crowd, media, fans...you name them. On top of that, he plays against a guy he's never beaten in official professional tournament. It doesn't help that he also battles against Chron's disease...has to live off raw food. All of that is extremely tough to handle. I for one hope he makes it somehow. Looking forward to tonight's final session of Carter - O'Sullivan match...:wink:

i feel for him as well, he is a good guy. and a great champion-with EVERYTHING stacked against him, i hope he does better next year, i felt bad last yr too. i think his health is better this year, he looks very fit and has better color. last year he looked a bit faint and white. I know he was drinking carrot juice to help his health. he has a lot to be proud of, and i hope he knows that people realize that. he has a big heart and is a true champion on all levels.

Autist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's entirely possible he'll win this tournament, but only on the basis everyone else gets out of the way - much like last year, in fact.

2012:

1st round: Peter Ebdon - Century breaks 300
2nd round: Mark Williams - Century breaks 287
3rd round: Neil Robertson - Century breaks 255
4th round: Matthew Stevens - Century breaks 232
Final: Ali Carter - Century breaks 142

Ebdon, Williams, Robertson - WORLD CHAMPIONS
Stevens, Carter - World championship FINALISTS

YES, EVERYONE GOT OUT OF THE WAY, YOU FOOL.

One of the hardest draws one could get.

Ultra stupid thing you said.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Disgraceful comments made by Ronnie in interview

http://sportinglife.com/snooker/news/article/663/8684248/osullivan-return-was-for-money

Folks:

I'm a big Ronnie fan -- no bones about that -- but I have to say, Ronnie's comments above are disgraceful to the sport. Ok, maybe they might be true personally, but godammit, not everything that's in your mind has to spill out of your mouth. Noone is above the sport. If you want to retire, retire gracefully, once and for all, like Hendry did. Don't come back and disparage the sport saying you only came back because you're behind in your child's school fees and didn't have any money, that you're not enjoying it "but have to do it," that you're "required" to keep your sponsor happy by fulfilling contractual commitments, blah-blah-blah...

Barry Hearn should do something about ridiculous behavior / interviews like this.

-Sean

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
http://sportinglife.com/snooker/news/article/663/8684248/osullivan-return-was-for-money

Folks:

I'm a big Ronnie fan -- no bones about that -- but I have to say, Ronnie's comments above are disgraceful to the sport. Ok, maybe they might be true personally, but godammit, not everything that's in your mind has to spill out of your mouth. Noone is above the sport. If you want to retire, retire gracefully, once and for all, like Hendry did. Don't come back and disparage the sport saying you only came back because you're behind in your child's school fees and didn't have any money, that you're not enjoying it "but have to do it," that you're "required" to keep your sponsor happy by fulfilling contractual commitments, blah-blah-blah...

Barry Hearn should do something about ridiculous behavior / interviews like this.

-Sean

i havent seen it yet as i type this, but it was my gut feeling all along, today he looked detached, board. going thru the motions. Sure if its worth doing its worth doing for money, but as a professional anything some things are best left unsaid.

I cant play pool with out a bet(there are a few exceptions) but I'm not a pro and have no reputation to live up to. If I was a pro, i'd say and do the professional thing like Hendry did. Or Steve Davis etc.

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this might work out for the fans, lol.......

if Ronnie is doing this just for the money, then I can totally envision
him entering the worlds annually and winning it annually for some time

2012:

1st round: Peter Ebdon - Century breaks 300
2nd round: Mark Williams - Century breaks 287
3rd round: Neil Robertson - Century breaks 255
4th round: Matthew Stevens - Century breaks 232
Final: Ali Carter - Century breaks 142

Ebdon, Williams, Robertson - WORLD CHAMPIONS
Stevens, Carter - World championship FINALISTS

YES, EVERYONE GOT OUT OF THE WAY, YOU FOOL.

One of the hardest draws one could get.

Ultra stupid thing you said.

Lol, someone has her little panties in a bunch.

Ebdon - struggling, way past his best.
Williams - struggling, way past his best.
Robertson - out of sorts.
Stevens - struggling, way, way past his best.
Carter - has not beaten O'Sullivan in 12 attempts.

As easy a draw as it was possible to get. He played no one either in form or in their prime. You are blinded by the hype and your very deep and meaningful man-love for Ronnie. The facts are pesky things that are getting in the way.

What I said was spot on, as ever. I have a tip for you - don't try and tell an Englishman about snooker, yeah?

You do know "he's not a full shilling"

I was at the infamous match with Ebbo a few years back, where he put a towel on his head. I'd not seen him live before, and it is quite clear he's stark raving mad - far more so in the flesh than on TV. He just looked profoundly ill. He's not quite so totally tonto now, but he's replaced madness with an addiction for drama and hogging the limelight.

There have been better players than Ronnie, with Hendry for one being a country mile better. So what Ronnie gets screwed up because he's capable of genius but doesn't always show it? So what the balls don't always go where he intends? There's not a serious player alive who doesn't play great in spells, and he's no different. He needs to stop being a drama queen and show a little humility for a change.

Folks:

-Sean

Quite agree, Sean. Why now, as well? This to me says 'I've won the competition already, so can say what I like'.

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Titles were widely spread this year, so winning the World Championship is a huge step up in the new money rankings - £250,000, and higher in 2014.

The World Champion will be invited to the new Tournament of Champions, top prize £100,000

2014 Masters - £200,000

So, if Ronnie wins the Championship and becomes eligible for these three three tournaments in 2014, he could pay his bills without all that travel. :D

I think he would prefer the old format of the Joe Davis era:
The champion shows up to defend in the final match :D:D:D