Gareth Potts vs SVB.. who wins?

j_zippel

Big Tuna
Silver Member
If they were to do an all around, including chinese 8 ball, 10 ball, 1 pocket and straight pool. Heres a link to one of Gareth's recent tournament wins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw-96ofqtmA

like Shayne his fundamentals are flawless and he's a serious talent...I wish there were more matches online of him

Last edited:

benturner

bjt
Silver Member
All i know is SVB has beat Efren onehole, Dennis 10 ball and ran 220 straight pool. He would be tough to fade on American pool table!

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
Potts is a decent favorite on the Chinese 8-Ball, Shane a big favorite in 10-ball and 1-pocket
and a decent favorite in straight pool. The score should be 3-1 Shane, maybe 2-2 if Potts plays
exceptional in one of the 3 matches where he is an underdog.

gr. Dave

voiceofreason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So you want to play 3 disciplines that SVB is favourite in?

How is that fair?

And why play anything but 8 ball?

How about:

1 set at English 8 Ball
1 set at American 8 ball
1 set at Chinese 8 Ball

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So you want to play 3 disciplines that SVB is favourite in?

How is that fair?

And why play anything but 8 ball?

How about:

1 set at English 8 Ball
1 set at American 8 ball
1 set at Chinese 8 Ball

I reckon that would be a 'One Horse Race' and the 3-0 scoreline would not be in SVB's favor. At best he could maybe come close in American 8 Ball but he would need a few more big table game to match up to Potts. Even Darren would be reluctant to take him on in that format.

voiceofreason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So the best US player at the moment needs to have it weighted in his favour 3 out of the 4 sets?

What are we being told about his ability really then?

DGilb147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well SVB lost 16-8 to Karl Boyes in this Chinese 8 ball tournament.

Does that answer any questions??

Which Potts went on to win ( two years in a row).

DGilb147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why would American 8 ball be harder for Potts ?

I appreciate the larger pockets would help his opponents, more luck involved.

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
He's not in SVB.s league . It's a tournament player vs a stone cold take the world on ... Champion. Fundamentals will break down when the heat is on.
To rank him with SVB is wrong. Shane has earned his by playing anybody that will step up and you can film it

DGilb147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He's not in SVB.s league . It's a tournament player vs a stone cold take the world on ... Champion. Fundamentals will break down when the heat is on.
To rank him with SVB is wrong. Shane has earned his by playing anybody that will step up and you can film it

Yeah sure I watched SVB dog several shots in the MC when the pressure was on

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
so does Wikipedia have the rules for Chinese 8ball wrong? I'm reading you must strike the object ball into the cue ball??

Chinese eight-ball is a two-player pocket billiards game which combines the play of eight-ball (except by shooting object balls into the cue ball instead of the normal vice-versa) with the shooting style of carom billiards games

Playin4Dinner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will spot svb 30k to my 10k playin round of plo and plo8... then my buddy drew will spot him 30 strokes on the front 9... then my buddy travis will spot him 100 pins bowling..

Then, if svb still wants more... my daughter will challenge him round of hop scotch
/ round of hula hoop... tie breaker if needed will be doll dressup.. determining judge will be my daughter/ his opponent of course...

Come get some svb!!!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Shane vs. Miguel Cabrera

In the 10-ball I like Shane
Home run hitting contest I like Cabrera
... guess it'll come down to the horseshoes competition.

When you cross disciplines, the comparisons are borderline pointless. Shane and Potts get their props in the game's to which they have truly dedicated themselves, and let's leave it at that.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
so does Wikipedia have the rules for Chinese 8ball wrong? I'm reading you must strike the object ball into the cue ball??

Wrong Chinese 8-ball. LOL!!!

Wikipedia isn't supposed to be a reliable source since it's completely open source. Kind of like when people spew of crap on AZB.

Freddie <~~~ or who have billiard blogs that are almost always wrong

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Clearly SVB would cane Potts in the OP's challenge. Hardly fair at all. Now a race to, say, 50 switching between English 8 ball and "US" 8 ball every five racks - that could be interesting. My money would be on Potts to win fairly easily. But it's still fairly meaningless.

I'd rather see Potts make a go of it though and play real 8 ball, 9 ball, 10 ball etc rather than snooker-pool. Then we'd see how good he is. Unless English pool gets a Barry Hearn-esque boost and goes through the roof prize money wise then it's never going to be taken seriously enough. I

Of course SVB is going to win the other three suggested variants every time. Just like Potts would cane SVB at snooker.