franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Both

You have a very good handle on the situation . You know the pro's and con's of putting your name on a cue. I would say in this situation I would go ahead and do it, simple because of what you stated, it will deter you from selling it in the future.
I love buying and selling cues but I have one that no matter what it will be mine to the end. I met with a good friend a few week ago who was a very top tier collector. I had not seen him for quite a while and we were catching up. He told me he had sold all of his cues and now regrets selling off two he knows he has no chance of ever getting back.
So if putting your name on it will help you fight the urge to sell a special cue then put your name on it.
Good luck with whatever choice you make.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By the forearm, do you mean under the wrap? If you want to mark the cue as yours, maybe engrave the buttcap so it can be replaced easily if you do sell it.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have “EASY” engraved on the butt of my Bobby Hunter cue. Big letters, love it.

Pangit

Banned
Ok so I completely understand putting your name on a cue diminishes resale value. I also understand that "life" happens sometimes and you might need to sell at some point. For example, my pup, Boti, had an expensive surgery this week and I had to sell my Tascarella cue to help pay for it.

I've been buying, selling, trading cues now for about 15 years. Had a ton of high quality cues come and go. More than a few that I instantly had sellers remorse over. I'm tired of buying and selling cues. The cue market is crap, you have to practically give stuff away to make a deal anymore. And the number of people out there looking for a nice, high end custom cue to play with are dwindling by the day.

Since I had to sell my cue to help with the surgery, I have to order a new cue at some point in the distant future and am thinking about putting my name on the forearm of the cue for two reasons. 1) So that I will be deterred from ever giving up my cue ever again. 2) If it will be a somewhat pricey custom cue of my dream design, having my name plastered on the forearm would help deter thieves from trying to steal it. Maybe?

Thoughts? Opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who buys a cue with in intention to re-sale it...and then puts his/her name on it? If you are needing to sell a cue to pay for your dog's surgery...maybe your priorities are misguided?

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, seems like you know both sides of the argument. I wouldn't be opposed to it. I wouldn't want it on the forearm myself, but I kinda wish I'd have had my initials done in the butt cap of my Runde. It's not going anywhere.

I have a putter that was custom made for me that has my initials stamped in the face and I haven't regretted that.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By the forearm, do you mean under the wrap? If you want to mark the cue as yours, maybe engrave the buttcap so it can be replaced easily if you do sell it.

When Dan Dishaw replaced the wrap on my Dishaw cue he asked me if I wanted my name under the wrap in case it was lost/stolen. I said yes.

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Do it if you want, but do it tastefully, so it isn't the first thing that you see!

But more importantly, how's Boti doing?

Menelaus10

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never like to see anyones name or initials put on a cue, i think it diminishes the value. When I was in the market for a used cue I found a few I really would liked to have bought, but they had someone else's name engraved on the butt. However, this is a very personal choice everyone must make for them self.

vacation

Living Good.
Silver Member
I don't have an opinion on putting your name on your cues, BUT I did just see your JB case post in the sale section and I hope your dog gets better. It's always sad to see a little guy like that in a cast.

runout1961

Ecclesiastes Ch. 12: 1-7
Silver Member
I don't have an opinion on putting your name on your cues, BUT I did just see your JB case post in the sale section and I hope your dog gets better. It's always sad to see a little guy like that in a cast.

Thanks pal. I appreciate that. He's still trying to figure it all out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QuietStorm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok so I completely understand putting your name on a cue diminishes resale value. I also understand that "life" happens sometimes and you might need to sell at some point. For example, my pup, Boti, had an expensive surgery this week and I had to sell my Tascarella cue to help pay for it.

I've been buying, selling, trading cues now for about 15 years. Had a ton of high quality cues come and go. More than a few that I instantly had sellers remorse over. I'm tired of buying and selling cues. The cue market is crap, you have to practically give stuff away to make a deal anymore. And the number of people out there looking for a nice, high end custom cue to play with are dwindling by the day.

Since I had to sell my cue to help with the surgery, I have to order a new cue at some point in the distant future and am thinking about putting my name on the forearm of the cue for two reasons. 1) So that I will be deterred from ever giving up my cue ever again. 2) If it will be a somewhat pricey custom cue of my dream design, having my name plastered on the forearm would help deter thieves from trying to steal it. Maybe?

Thoughts? Opinions?

If you had to sale your cherished cue to make ends meet, then why would you intentionally ruin the resale value of a custom cue and have less funds in case of another financial emergency? Also, it would suck if you have your name on a cue that has failed to meet your expectations.

I doubt having your name plastered on the cue will deter thieves. Thieves are assholes who steal things just for the sake of stealing.

I hope your pup makes a full recovery.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Personalize and enjoy it. My buddy has a Palmer with his name in the window. As for thieves they’ll rob their mother.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I don't like it
Also the cue market is pretty good, there's cues getting lost, misplaced, stolen, and mis-directed by the United States Postal Service all over the place