Gold Crown 2, or Black Gold Crown

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All things being equal, is one generally better than the other as far as build quality?

What year were the Black GC's made?

I'd appreciate any insight.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All things being equal, is one generally better than the other as far as build quality?

I have a matte black GC4 but I assume your asking about the glossy black GC3. There’s a pool hall in Waterford Mi that has all glossy black 3’s.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

They made a matte and a gloss, piano black. IIRC the glossy one's were GC4's. They called them "Hi tech black" or something like that.

Last edited:

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They made gloss black III's too. In the early to mi '90's, Mr. Billiards in Baldwin Park, CA had around 20 of them.

I'd probably go with the II. I was never a fan of the bronze plated metal on the III's and if I recall, there was an issue on the III's with sagging frame ends at the corners.

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They made gloss black III's too. In the early to mi '90's, Mr. Billiards in Baldwin Park, CA had around 20 of them.

I'd probably go with the II. I was never a fan of the bronze plated metal on the III's and if I recall, there was an issue on the III's with sagging frame ends at the corners.

You are correct! Mr. Billiards has many of the black GC’s. They call those tables black beauties and people swear they play different. I can’t say they do or not. Never noticed a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From the horse's mouth:

Technical Information: From the 2002 Brunswick Billiards Gold Crown IV sell sheet:

Available in drop pocket or gully return configuration.

Honored status as the standard of the industry. Quality, accuracy, and playability define this table. The most prestigious name in billiards, the Gold Crown IV is sheer performance plus. The professional players’ table of choice, engineered for those who demand the best. Available in three colors, the Brunswick Gold Crown IV is a world-class billiard table of legendary quality.

Brunswick’s Gold Crown IV is designed for those who demand the best in both the game and the table. Available in eight-foot pro and nine-foot sizes with either gully or drop pockets, only the Gold Crown IV has the largest capacity drop pockets in the industry: each can comfortably hold up to 10 balls. Color options include mahogany with antique bronze trim, matte black with chrome trim, and high-tech poly black with gold trim. The best tables for your best game, Brunswick tables are backed by a Lifetime Ownership Warranty.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
They made a matte and a gloss, piano black. IIRC the glossy one's were GC4's. They called them "Hi tech black" or something like that.

The other way around, the high tech glossy black were the 3's. Matte black were the 4s. The 3s were available from 76'-96'.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

The sagging frame was on the 4's and late 3's because they switched the frames to the 4 frames.

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like I said “people swear they play different” and as I said again “I can’t say they do or do not. I never noticed a difference”.

Reading is fundamental!

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums