sneaky Pete joint collar or not ?

martin35

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello Guys

I’m a casual player who want to buy his first cue and I have narrowed my choice to a Schmelky sneakypete. I don’t care about the “Sneaky Pete” feature but I really like the 4 points simple design and they offer some nice wood at a very good price. My only concern is the joint since there is no collar on a sneakypete. I wonder if a wood on wood joint may be a little fragile and if I should add a joint collar as an option ?

Thanks

Martin

https://www.billiardwarehouse.com/cues/schmelke/schmelke_r1c.htm

Keith E.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen them crack early and late in their life. I've also seen some 20+ years old that haven't cracked. I personally believe that it's a combination of workmanship up front and then handling/care/storage by the owner(s).

Also, have you contacted Schmelke directly with tech questions or purchase inquiries?

Keith

martin35

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen them crack early and late in their life. I've also seen some 20+ years old that haven't cracked. I personally believe that it's a combination of workmanship up front and then handling/care/storage by the owner(s).

Also, have you contacted Schmelke directly with tech questions or purchase inquiries?

Keith

I did not contact them, it's a good idea. BTW they offer the collar option.

Thanks

Martin

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are not going to break with the cue then it should not matter- collar or no collar unless you are slamming your shots-