Are the best Taiwanese Players, as strong as the best from the Philippines?

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMHO, the best Taiwanese and Chinese are STRONGER than the best from the Philippines.

They play a "simpler" and "more consistent" style than the players from the Philippines.

They stay closer to the center of the cue ball and they make fewer errors.

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMHO, the best Taiwanese and Chinese are STRONGER than the best from the Philippines.

They play a "simpler" and "more consistent" style than the players from the Philippines.

Ditto...…..

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

This is so funny because it’s not really true. I was in the front row of the DCC and was sitting next to a guy who would never been to one of these tournaments. And he’s from the Internet (last name is Manning). We are watching Jung Lin Chan play, and at one point the guy I am sitting with gasps.Literally gasped. I asked what’s up, I he said he can’t believe how much English this guy plays with even on what looks to be a simple shots . The gasp came on an extremely low left english to the edge of the cue ball, and the cueball was not going to a cushion. And this is Chang!, A player that everybody seems to believe has the best patterns because of his simplicity. And yet in the front row, you could see just how much English he actually uses. That’s the reality. I know everyone thinks he stays near the center. But he’s off-center over 60% of the shots, just like every other professional. And he goes to the “gobs of english “ well, just like every pro.

I think the Taiwanese stroke mechanics contuse people to make them believe they stay near the center. I read people say the same about Buddy Hall, but Buddy was the guy ai point to that used the most english I’d ever seen in my life at that point. Watching in person and with intent on their english use proves this over and over.

Freddie <~~~ in praise of reality

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is so funny because it’s not really true. I was in the front row of the DCC and was sitting next to a guy who would never been to one of these tournaments. And he’s from the Internet (last name is Manning). We are watching Jung Lin Chan play, and at one point the guy I am sitting with gasps.Literally gasped. I asked what’s up, I he said he can’t believe how much English this guy plays with even on what looks to be a simple shots . The gasp came on an extremely low left english to the edge of the cue ball, and the cueball was not going to a cushion. And this is Chang!, A player that everybody seems to believe has the best patterns because of his simplicity. And yet in the front row, you could see just how much English he actually uses. That’s the reality. I know everyone thinks he stays near the center. But he’s off-center over 60% of the shots, just like every other professional. And he goes to the “gobs of english “ well, just like every pro.

I think the Taiwanese stroke mechanics contuse people to make them believe they stay near the center. I read people say the same about Buddy Hall, but Buddy was the guy ai point to that used the most english I’d ever seen in my life at that point. Watching in person and with intent on their english use proves this over and over.

Is this like when you estimated Sigel's shaft size from a glance?

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is this like when you estimated Sigel's shaft size from a glance?
Butt hurt much?

I know you’re a bit clueless, so here’s what Sigel had to say.

Mike Sigel says:

“I prefer 12.8”

Unlike you, I wasn’t wrong, since I didn’t make any claims, and I was happy to get the correct information. You on the other made incorrect claims and got butt hurt over the correction, so much that you are saving this little post to somehow “get me back.” Silly.

So every time you mention that I said “it looks like Mike Sigel shoots with 13mm tip,” we can all read it as you are still butt hurt and doing a poor job at”retaliation.” Sad, but that’s you.

Go ahead and stutter out something else.

Freddie <~~~ not a bad estimate.

Last edited:

Cross

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the best taiwanese would be at par with the best pinoys..

Its worth mentioning tho that Philippine pool of players seem to be much much deeper than Taiwan’s

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Philippino creativity will help them get out of unlucky rolls better...and that is ALWAYS a factor.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I'd call it a dead heat right now, but the Taiwanese and Chinese appear to be gradually claiming the top spot in world pool and will, I believe get there within a year or two.

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
With a population over 1 billion; if pool ever becomes super popular in China, they will have hordes of players testing each other before playing on the world stage.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
With a population over 1 billion; if pool ever becomes super popular in China, they will have hordes of players testing each other before playing on the world stage.

I think that's not the plan. The plan is to have people come to China to play Chinese 8 Ball. Or at least that's the plan of some.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh lord Freddie, You made up a shaft diameter which wasn't close in reply to someone's direct question. You were corrected for spreading misinformation by one of the oldtimers, then acknowledged you just made up the shaft diameter(lmao).

Since you made up a shaft diameter out of thin air, I am simply asking if your comment about english is solid information, or made up information like Sigel's shaft size?

You have been "butt hurt" Every since I asked why you dont hold yourself to the same standard you hold others too. You went on and on roasting me for "spreading misinformation" for simply asking a question about an article and wikipedia article I had read on Kaci.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd call it a dead heat right now, but the Taiwanese and Chinese appear to be gradually claiming the top spot in world pool and will, I believe get there within a year or two.

They have competed against "each other" in international team competitions, yes?

My guess is ...if you took the top 3 PI's vs the top 3 Taiwanese. Taiwan would have an edge. But make it a 10 best vs 10 best, PI would handily win.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know everyone thinks he stays near the center. But he’s off-center over 60% of the shots, just like every other professional. And he goes to the “gobs of english “ well, just like every pro.
I try to play where I'm off-center on almost every shot. I play TOI and am always favoring one side of the cue ball.

If I need to, I can "make the tires squeal"...I just try to keep it to the minimum.

CptBurbagio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They have competed against "each other" in international team competitions, yes?

My guess is ...if you took the top 3 PI's vs the top 3 Taiwanese. Taiwan would have an edge. But make it a 10 best vs 10 best, PI would handily win.

Here's how the hypothetical 10 v 10 would look according to Fargo:

Team Philippines
1. Dennis Orcollo 815
2. Carlo Biado 811
3. Lee Van Corteza 809
4. James Aranas 803
5. Jeffrey Ignacio 798
6. Jeffrey De Luna 796
7. Roland Garcia 796
8. Johann Chua 794
9. Anton Raga 794
10. Jerico Banares 793

Avg Fargo = 801.4

vs

Team Taiwan
1. Chang Jun Lin 817
2. Ko Pin Yi 815
3. Chang Yu Lung 807
4. Hsu Kai Lun 805
5. Ko Ping Chung 804
6. Cheng Yu Hsuan ("Kevin") 802
7. Fu Che Wei 796
8. Wu Kun Lin 796
9. Lo Li Wen 791
10. Yang Ching Shun 781

Avg Fargo = 800.9

So, essentially a dead heat through ten. Taiwan may have a slightly higher top end, but my hunch is that if I continued this exercise through a top 20, the Philippines would have a much stronger back end. To wit, Warren Kiamco, Jundel Mazon, Francisco Bustamante, and Roberto Gomez occupy Team PHI numbers 11-14, and each enjoys a higher Fargo than number ten on Team TWN, the legend Yang Ching Shun. I suspect this trend would continue as you moved deeper into each nation's pool ranks.

I believe there was a "King's Cup" or similar hosted between the two a few years ago. I seem to remember Efren and Busty and a couple young guns on Team PHI against the Ko's and others on Team TWN. I believe Team PHI won, but my memory of all the details of this tourney are shaky at the moment. In any case, I would love to see that tournament continued and formalized Mosconi cup style.

Last edited:

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's how the hypothetical 10 v 10 would look according to Fargo:

Team Philippines
1. Dennis Orcollo 815
2. Carlo Biado 811
3. Lee Van Corteza 809
4. James Aranas 803
5. Jeffrey Ignacio 798
6. Jeffrey De Luna 796
7. Roland Garcia 796
8. Johann Chua 794
9. Anton Raga 794
10. Jerico Banares 793

Avg Fargo = 801.4

vs

Team Taiwan
1. Chang Jun Lin 817
2. Ko Pin Yi 815
3. Chang Yu Lung 807
4. Hsu Kai Lun 805
5. Ko Ping Chung 804
6. Cheng Yu Hsuan ("Kevin") 802
7. Fu Che Wei 796
8. Wu Kun Lin 796
9. Lo Li Wen 791
10. Yang Ching Shun 781

Avg Fargo = 800.9

So, essentially a dead heat through ten. Taiwan may have a slightly higher top end, but my hunch is that if I continued this exercise through a top 20, the Philippines would have a much stronger back end. To wit, Warren Kiamco, Jundel Mazon, Francisco Bustamante, and Roberto Gomez occupy Team PHI numbers 11-14, and each enjoys a higher Fargo than number ten on Team TWN, the legend Yang Ching Shun. I suspect this trend would continue as you moved deeper into each nation's pool ranks.

I believe there was a "King's Cup" or similar hosted between the two a few years ago. I seem to remember Efren and Busty and a couple young guns on Team PHI against the Ko's and others on Team TWN. I believe Team PHI won, but my memory of all the details of this tourney are shaky at the moment. In any case, I would love to see that tournament continued and formalized Mosconi cup style.

Awesome, it would have to go 20 deep. Sick that LVC is outside the top 10.