CJ's Adventures on the Road Hustling, Gambling and Battling Francisco Bustamante

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is the story based at a Professional Pool Tournament in Chicago where I played one of the all time strongest pool players from the Philipines, Francisco Bustemante. In the match I ran 8 racks in a row without missing and immediately Francisco ran 9 (many eye witnesses says it was more, but I'll be conservative).

Losing to Fransisco lit a fire under me and I went back to Texas and trained for a rematch that would end up happening at the Burbank Hilton in California to see who would play Earl Strickland on ESPN.

With over 700 people watching the match went down to 12\12 and........the rest is history!

Here's the story:

https://youtu.be/wll2wlVs-Rk

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Great story. That action matchup with Francisco must have been one of the best action matches ever. Instead of letting it bother you, instead you let it toughen you, and that showed good character and determination.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
the key is to make every situation an excuse to improve

Great story. That action matchup with Francisco must have been one of the best action matches ever. Instead of letting it bother you, instead you let it toughen you, and that showed good character and determination.

Thanks!

Looking back at my life and career I always learned and matured more from losses than from wins. I developed an almost obsessive desire to learn and improve mentally, physically and Spiritually which led to countless hours reading and over 1700 private martial arts lessons, golf lessons (with Hank Haney, Tiger Woods coach), tennis lessons (I played junior tennis tournaments in 3 states growing up) and of course all the pool experience with some of the greatest road players and tournament professionals.

I told someone that I have missed more pool balls than anyone in the pool room, and I've made a few more. That's what life is for me, filtering out what appears to be negative and adding anything that appears positive until the negatives are on the positive side.

Especially in this age of illusions and mind manipulation scenarios, it's essential to exercise daily, not just our body, our minds, it's easy for people to "outsource" their thinking to (so called) experts that they don't know and may not even exist. :confused:

At lease when we learn things on our own nobody can fool us (for long anyway) I've been fortunate to have so many mentors in several areas of expertise to make sure I not only believed that, but lived it on a daily basis.

It's not whether we win or lose or even how we play the game, the key is to make every situation an excuse to improve and find better and better ways of performing every day in every way.

The Game is the Teacher

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The "plane players" are always tougher. They can't go bust and sleep in their cars. They gotta win! :D

I just joined your site and am looking forward to the instruction. It was top notch in the past. :cool:

TTYL

Best,
Mike

mnb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
is that the time you played him in St. Charles, Illinois ?

This is the story based at a Professional Pool Tournament in Chicago where I played one of the all time strongest pool players from the Philipines, Francisco Bustemante. In the match I ran 8 racks in a row without missing and immediately Francisco ran 9

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
he sat down, took off his shoe and sock and used his sock as a golf glove.

is that the time you played him in St. Charles, Illinois ?

It was at Pheasant Run Resort. We flew into Chicago so yeah, that's probably the suburb it was in.

They had a golf course there, one day I was watching Keith McCready teeing it up with a group and he didn't have a golf glove.....he sat down, took off his shoe and sock and used his sock as a golf glove.....hit the drive and said to the shocked onlookers "what, never saw anyone sock it like that?!?

Priceless! :rotflmao:

mnb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i think you forgot to mention that Bustamante gave you the last 2, then the call 8, then the wild 8

It was at Pheasant Run Resort. We flew into Chicago so yeah, that's probably the suburb it was in.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
At our level getting the last 2 would be like spotting them psychologically.

i think you forgot to mention that Bustamante gave you the last 2, then the call 8, then the wild 8

He never gave me the last 2 - I did play him twice after that with the 8 in Las Angeles and broke even. At our level getting the last 2 would be like spotting them psychologically.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
there's a section that says "New Videos" that have about 15 new ones

The "plane players" are always tougher. They can't go bust and sleep in their cars. They gotta win! :D

I just joined your site and am looking forward to the instruction. It was top notch in the past. :cool:

TTYL

Best,
Mike

Glad to see you see around the forum, didn't think I'd see many players I'd remember, fortunately most of the undesirables are gone.

I'd recommend the 'Precision Pool Drills' and there's a section that says "New Videos" that have about 15 new ones that I've done and I'm getting ready to make some more. Because of this scamdemic I haven't had access to any pool table until recently.

Play Well, The Game is Our Teacher

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glad to see you see around the forum, didn't think I'd see many players I'd remember, fortunately most of the undesirables are gone.

I'd recommend the 'Precision Pool Drills' and there's a section that says "New Videos" that have about 15 new ones that I've done and I'm getting ready to make some more. Because of this scamdemic I haven't had access to any pool table until recently.

Play Well, The Game is Our Teacher

I don't post much anymore. I'm glad you're back. I'll dive in to the vids when I get back in town.

Best,
Mike

nitty bitty

Registered

He never gave me the last 2 - I did play him twice after that with the 8 in Las Angeles and broke even. At our level getting the last 2 would be like spotting them psychologically.

I was there, I bet on you and he definitely gave you the 8 and probably could of given you the 7.

The pockets were very tight as I remember.

Bustamante was the best 9 player player in the world then and there was no American that could beat him with the 8.

Had your break been better it would of been closer.

Just my 2 cents.

I remember you walked around the room trying to get people to go up with you for the last set. The writing was on the wall as it often is in gambling but I appreciated your warrior spirit and the fact you refused to quit.

I remember Bustamante flew the cue ball of the table on the break a few times but not enough.

Tough table, tough game against a guy that played as good of 9 ball as anyone who has ever lived.

Do you think you could of won with the 7?

mnb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't speak for what happened in Los Angeles, but.....

The gentleman from the Chicago area who staked Bustamante said you got the last 2 for 2k, the call 8 for 3k, and the wild 8 for 5k.

Bustamante won 11-6, 11-5, and 11-6

* edit to add: This was at Pheasant Run

Last edited:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I can't speak for what happened in Los Angeles, but.....

The gentleman from the Chicago area who staked Bustamante said you got the last 2 for 2k, the call 8 for 3k, and the wild 8 for 5k.

No, that's not true, we played for $14,000, so that's not even close.

Last edited:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
After that I went to Jay Helfert's tournament at the Burbank Hilton

I was there, I bet on you and he definitely gave you the 8 and probably could of given you the 7.

The pockets were very tight as I remember.

Bustamante was the best 9 player player in the world then and there was no American that could beat him with the 8.

Had your break been better it would of been closer.

Just my 2 cents.

I remember you walked around the room trying to get people to go up with you for the last set. The writing was on the wall as it often is in gambling but I appreciated your warrior spirit and the fact you refused to quit.

I remember Bustamante flew the cue ball of the table on the break a few times but not enough.

Tough table, tough game against a guy that played as good of 9 ball as anyone who has ever lived.

Do you think you could of won with the 7?

I went around the room trying to get someone to go up with me? lol

Not likely, I had over $50,000 with me and my friends that was in with me had just as much. I hadn't been playing much the last month so I wasn't sharp, but I went to Texas after that and trained hard for the next week. After that I went to Jay Helfert's tournament at the Burbank Hilton and ended up beating Bustamante to play Earl Strickland on ESPN.

He gave me the 8 two times after that and we broke even at Hard Times in LA. and I can't remember where the other match was at.

nitty bitty

Registered
I went around the room trying to get someone to go up with me? lol

Not likely, I had over $50,000 with me and my friends that was in with me had just as much. I hadn't been playing much the last month so I wasn't sharp, but I went to Texas after that and trained hard for the next week. After that I went to Jay Helfert's tournament at the Burbank Hilton and ended up beating Bustamante to play Earl Strickland on ESPN.

He gave me the 8 two times after that and we broke even at Hard Times in LA. and I can't remember where the other match was at.

Are you claiming you played him even at the Pheasant Run? You definitely didn't.

You played multiple sets, lost each one. I walked in after the first set where I think you got the last 2 but I don't remember.

I do remember the last set however. You may of had more money but you definitely went around and got people to go up with you in the middle.

Listen, it's no big deal, but I would bet a lot of money I am right. That was a great tournament. I remember how frustrated you were. I thought you played very good but not great.

You were playing the greatest 9 ball player in the world and maybe the greatest ever so losing with the 8 was no shame, but it definitely happened as I described it and the other poster in this thread.

Everything else you described was true - the hot girl, the super tight pockets, etc. I don't remember you running 7 then him 8 racks but I do remember losing my money.

Still a fan, but your memory is very much off.

Can you do a video about gambling with Johnny Archer, another one of my favorites from that era?

Thanks and god bless.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's like when there's a traffic accident and 5 witnesses all see a different wreck

Are you claiming you played him even at the Pheasant Run? You definitely didn't.

You played multiple sets, lost each one. I walked in after the first set where I think you got the last 2 but I don't remember.

I do remember the last set however. You may of had more money but you definitely went around and got people to go up with you in the middle.

Listen, it's no big deal, but I would bet a lot of money I am right. That was a great tournament. I remember how frustrated you were. I thought you played very good but not great.

You were playing the greatest 9 ball player in the world and maybe the greatest ever so losing with the 8 was no shame, but it definitely happened as I described it and the other poster in this thread.

Everything else you described was true - the hot girl, the super tight pockets, etc. I don't remember you running 7 then him 8 racks but I do remember losing my money.

Still a fan, but your memory is very much off.

Can you do a video about gambling with Johnny Archer, another one of my favorites from that era?

Thanks and god bless.

So my memory is very much off, but yours is exactly right, Nitty. Sure, sounds likely.

I've never "went around and ask people to go up with me in the middle" - not that match, or any other in my life, I always bet my own, had partners, but never ask anyone to bet on me that wasn't in with me.

A man from Chicago that was there wrote a detailed account of the match - (it was not what you remember either). Maybe he's on this forum, I have a feeling there's several different stories about that match, I've heard a few but none like yours and they are from actual people (with real names) on Facebook.

It's like when there's a traffic accident and 5 witnesses all see a different wreck according to their perception. Maybe we'll hear some other perceptions before this thread is over.... For me that match lit a fire under me because I had never been beat like that, it showed what I had to improve to win in the future....which ended up being my stance and how I cleared my hips to shoot out of the center of my chest.

nitty bitty

Registered
So my memory is very much off, but yours is exactly right, Nitty. Sure, sounds likely.

I've never "went around and ask people to go up with me in the middle" - not that match, or any other in my life, I always bet my own, had partners, but never ask anyone to bet on me that wasn't in with me.

A man from Chicago that was there wrote a detailed account of the match - (it was not what you remember either). Maybe he's on this forum, I have a feeling there's several different stories about that match, I've heard a few but none like yours and they are from actual people (with real names) on Facebook.

It's like when there's a traffic accident and 5 witnesses all see a different wreck according to their perception. Maybe we'll hear some other perceptions before this thread is over.... For me that match lit a fire under me because I had never been beat like that, it showed what I had to improve to win in the future....which ended up being my stance and how I cleared my hips to shoot out of the center of my chest.

You played him with the 8 at that tourney and lost multiple sets.

I will bet I am right.

No shame - Bustamante played perfect other than flying the cue ball off the table on 2 breaks that I remember.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
you remember what you believe and believe what you remember.

You played him with the 8 at that tourney and lost multiple sets.

I will bet I am right.

No shame - Bustamante played perfect other than flying the cue ball off the table on 2 breaks that I remember.

That was never in question, the amount we lost was $12,000 and you said 3 sets at first and you said it was the last 2, call 8 and 8.....I know that's not true, we played several times with the 8, I never had the call 8 or last 2, which isn't much of a spot against him anyway.

No shame, you remember what you believe and believe what you remember.

If anyone else was there let me know what you saw, I'm curious what your story is.

*I just double checked with one of my friends that was at the Bustemante match and he said we lost $12,000 - the rest of what I said he agreed with.

Last edited:

mnb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you said 3 sets at first and you said it was the last 2, call 8 and 8.....I know that's not true, we played several times with the 8, I never had the call 8 or last 2, which isn't much of a spot against him anyway.

No shame, you remember what you believe and believe what you remember.
We can go back and forth for the next 100 years and not agree...

I am trying to be diplomatic but, in addition to how things went back then, you appear to be confused about who said what in this thread.

Here is my post from earlier:

Perhaps you don't remember the gentleman who staked Bustamante against you at Pheasant Run where they won 10k in the middle.

(he also staked Bustamante against Johnny Archer in the session where Johnny ran out the entire 1st set)

He doesn't post on this forum or use the internet much, but he might be convinced to join if you really need to hear the same details directly from him.

My guess is he would be far less diplomatic than I am being here.

That being said, leaving out important details in your YouTube videos (like you getting spotted the 8) is not being fair to Francisco Bustamante and is not giving him the proper credit that he is due.

If you want to promote your web site and pool lessons, that is one thing.

But tell it correctly.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
You wont see many stories about CJ losing matches or getting spotted.

Doesn't fit his image that well.

We can go back and forth for the next 100 years and not agree...

I am trying to be diplomatic but, in addition to how things went back then, you appear to be confused about who said what in this thread.

Here is my post from earlier:perhaps you don't remember the gentleman who staked Bustamante against you at Pheasant Run where they won 10k in the middle.

(he also staked Bustamante against Johnny Archer in the session where Johnny ran out the entire 1st set)

He doesn't post on this forum or use the internet much, but he might be convinced to join if you really need to hear the same details directly from him.

My guess is he would be far less diplomatic than I am being here.

That being said, leaving out important details in your YouTube videos (like you getting spotted the 8) is not being fair to Francisco Bustamante and is not giving him the proper credit that he is due.

If you want to promote your web site and pool lessons, that is one thing.

But tell it correctly.