Ball Cleaner - Disinfectant

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Any suggestions. We're trying to get the community clubroom open in a safe fashion. Would limit the players, stagger tables, etc. Somebody raised the question of using sanitizer on the balls. He has a valid point. Thank, Frank

Last edited:

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
If they serve food then they already have "quats" sanitizer short for quaternary ammonia..

as long as the balls are wiped dry after then there will be no residue.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would alcohol work, run through a ball cleaner? Idk if that would permanently damage the shine of the balls or not, like soap does. But pretty sure it would kill the corona.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
keeping anything people touch clean is good
but evidence has shown that virus transmission is much more likely
via direct contact with another human
limiting person to person contact as much as possible
will go furthest in limiting virus spread

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whatever the absolute minimum is where you are. Honestly, none of it makes a hill of beans worth of difference anyways!

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, now everyone is stating their opinion that cleaning of the balls is not going to do anything, and that is fine.

But, we as a pool community should have a set procedure that pool halls and clubs can follow, to at least comply with local ordinances. This way they can open and have customers, and show they are being diligent with cleaning items every single customer will touch. Whether or not it really helps corona transmission doesn't matter, IMO. But getting the businesses back open does.

So what are rooms doing? Alcohol on balls? Windex? Pledge? Other? Nothing?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And furthermore, balls specifically are sensitive to the wrong cleaner. A few cases here for example have popped up over the years of the shine being permanently removed when balls were put in the dishwasher.

Its a very valid question the OP asked, and we should have or find a very good answer for him.

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
And furthermore, balls specifically are sensitive to the wrong cleaner. A few cases here for example have popped up over the years of the shine being permanently removed when balls were put in the dishwasher.

Its a very valid question the OP asked, and we should have or find a very good answer for him.

I did answer it... Quaternary ammonia..

1. If the place serves food they already have it..
2. Even if they don't serve food it's still the cheapest commercial solution
3. It leaves no residue

Have a nice day:thumbup:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did answer it... Quaternary ammonia..

1. If the place serves food they already have it..
2. Even if they don't serve food it's still the cheapest commercial solution
3. It leaves no residue

Have a nice day:thumbup:

Ah very good. I missed it. Have you tried this product on balls yourself? If so, does it mess up the shine? Or the play? Do you apply it to the ball polishing machine?

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
Ah very good. I missed it. Have you tried this product on balls yourself? If so, does it mess up the shine? Or the play? Do you apply it to the ball polishing machine?

No I have not used it on pool balls specifically.. however I have used it on literally everything else.. glass, fine woodwork, a wide variety of plastics, tarnishable metals like brass and silver, all other metal.. natural stone, man-made stone, all types of fabric including silk and satin

how it works is a mix of quats and mostly water is applied and the quats locks onto the lipid layer of a virus or bacteria then almost immediately evaporates literally ripping the contagion apart.. within a few seconds all that's left is water..

That's why it's used in food service you can't even accidentally poison someone with it unless you served them a full glass of it and even then it wouldn't really do much.

Well I wouldn't drink pure quats.. but the water mixture used for sanitizer is practically harmless unless you are a micro organism

Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Spray the balls with a solution of Clorox and water. Use a 10% diluted concentration which should yield
at least a 5000 ppm concentration unless it you used swimming pool bleach which would more than twice
that so you could go to 5% concentration. As a general rule, about 1/3 gal of bleach to a gallon of water
would get you what you want and for safety’s sake, toss in an extra ounce of bleach.

Spray the rails, rack and pockets and of course the pool balls. Have the players hand sanitizers before playing
and every time they come back to the table if they leave the area or eat or drink anything. If you
see a friend and they come over to say “Hi” or just watch, the players need to hand sanitize. In other
words, if you can’t play your game isolated more than 10 ft from anyone else except the person(s) playing
in your game, you need to hand sanitize often. And this should help but there is one more requirement.

WEAR a MASK......go get a face scarf that you can pull up instead of a ear mask. Breathing is easier when
you use this style but if you do not mask, then you are just hoping not to get sick. Masks are essential to
protect others from you in case you were infected and asymptomatic (no signs of being ill) and when everyone
does it, this protects you from them. Otherwise, just stay home and gripe about things but the good news is if
you can still gripe, it means you haven’t contracted the virus and better yet, you are still alive..... Nuf Ced!

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
My idea was to use a mister, and spray everything with 100% alcohol.
...even the cloth...it evaporates quickly...should be done for each new group.
...someone told me 100% alcohol evaporates TOO quickly...70% was recommended.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The last time I tried a chlorine-based product on a set of pool balls, it made them turn purple. If anyone tries that, please let us know how it turns out. I think mine eventually recovered.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is exactly why pool halls in California’s Central Valley are still closed.

Assembling people from different walks of life and neighborhoods is just a
sure fire formula for spreading the infection under the current pandemic
conditions. Wait til Labor Day arrives and you will see bad things happening.

Right now there are 250,000 people partying in Sturges, SD and masks and
social distancing is not a priority with these folks. And then these folks disband
and disburse back to all 50 states when it ends on Sunday 8-16, Yup, 10 days of
partying in Sturges will make this the world’s fastest & biggest Super Spreader
of COVID-19. This virus is not going to die off. By X-Mas more than 250,000 of
our fellow citizens will be dead. A vaccine is not happening this year or the near
future and we could have saved hundreds of thousands of people but we failed
to act and comply with what’s needed. So do it now before death touches you.

The death toll for the USA for the past ten (10) days is 9,204 Americans.

The death toll for Canada during the entire pandemic is 9,029 dating back to Jan.1 st.

jgpool

Cue ball draw with this?
Silver Member
Any suggestions. We're trying to get the community clubroom open in a safe fashion. Would limit the players, stagger tables, etc. Somebody raised the question of using sanitizer on the balls. He has a valid point. Thank, Frank

We opened our Rec Center on May 20, 2020 with the following rules in place. Our HOA does disinfectant fogging every day at 3:00 PM. When we clean the balls we disinfect them with Sani-wipes then put them in a Diamond ball cleaner.

CRC Billiard Room New Hours of Operation:

9:00 AM – 3:00 PM Open for play.
3:00 PM – 4:00 PM Closed for cleaning.
4:00 PM – 9:00 PM Open for play.
necessary.
2. Face Masks are mandatory by all persons entering the CRC.
3. Billiard Room maximum occupancy is 8. Limit of 2 players per
table to reduce the potential of overloading the room.
4. We have reduced the number of chairs to 8 to increase room for
social distancing. Do not bring in more chairs.
5. The room will be available to all residents, not just PPB Members
but the PPB Members will be the primary monitors of rules compliance.
If you see non-compliance, please ask the person to comply or leave
and if you get resistance, call Patrol 1 at 825-9814.
6. The PPB will hold no competitive play events during this phase of
re-opening.
7). Please use your own personal chalk.
Thank you,
The Pool Players of The Brooke

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Working in a lab, I assure you that the idea of disinfectant Is misunderstood. . Once someone breathes, everything within a certain range (the whole table) needs to be disinfected again.

I absolutely avoid bars,pool tables, etc.

Principal reason is the people. Who decides to play or not? It’s not going to be those who have been most diligent in isolating themselves. It’’s not good enough that ‘most’ of the players have practiced social distancing...did ALL of them?

Another reason is psychological. I’m a disciplined person. I can defer a couple hours of gratification if the consequences are ‘wondering’ if I’m infected every time for the next week When I cough, get a slight sore throat, etc.

If you feel the consequences of catching the virus are exaggerated ( I have mixed feelings), then play pool , go to bars, etc. However, assume you may catch the virus and things like disinfecting the balls are just a ‘feel good’ measure.