12 mm new cue for pool

giulichajari

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm looking for a new cue for playing pool (8 ball 9 ball ).
I know that the thinner the cue is the more possible effects i could apply to the cue ball.
But the cues go from 11 mm to 13 mm. So i decided to probably buy a 12 mm cue..an intermediate.
Because i have read that the cue ball control is easier with less thinner cue.
What would you recommend me?

Enviado desde mi SM-G530M mediante Tapatalk

icem3n

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stick with 13mm unless you got a long bridge like Alex Pagulayan. 13mm or more allows you to have more consistant centre hit on the cueball.

Thicker and denser shaft allows you to have better control on the white.

If you want a lower deflection on a conventional shaft go with 11~12mm.

But my advice would be
1. Go with 13~13.15mm.
2. Maintaining your bridge distance in about one hand span from the cueball.
3. Master BHE.

Good luck.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IGNORE people saying "stay ... use thicker shaft".
For that matter, please ignore the previous post.

Go 11,5mm (Katana cues) or 11,75mm (OB, others, ...) - you will learn a LOT. You will actually IMPROVE.
Yes, you will need to work on a proper, straight stroke. Yes, you will need to adjust and probably play softer.
But the smaller diameter will come with much better LD properties. Which means, more accuracy and better control.
Bridge length does not really come into play regarding the tip size.

Cue ball control is not easier per se, due to the smaller area the english simply is more pronounced. Plus, you can see more of the CB due to thinner tip - which helps a lot!

Abso****ingly NEVER EVER use backhand english (BHE). It just ruins everything about a proper stroke and aiming.

I play 9mm, Snooker-style shaft. It's possible, and it works and I love every aspect of it.

Cheers,
M
(angry, because people just iterate the same crap about 13mm)

giulichajari

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Go 11,5mm (Katana cues) or 11,75mm (OB, others, ...) - you will learn a LOT. You will actually IMPROVE.
Yes, you will need to work on a proper, straight stroke. Yes, you will need to adjust and probably play softer.
But the smaller diameter will come with much better LD properties. Which means, more accuracy and better control.

Cue ball control is not easier per se, due to the smaller area the english simply is more pronounced. Plus, you can see more of the CB due to thinner tip - which helps a lot!

Abso****ingly NEVER EVER use backhand english (BHE). It just ruins everything about a proper stroke and aiming.

I play 9mm, Snooker-style shaft. It's possible, and it works and I love every aspect of it.

Cheers,
M
Thanks for answer.
The two comments above means that is a few subjective. The cue must be comfortable for the player. It has to make you feel sure at time of shooting.
International players,who are the best probably uses 11 mm cues.

But..are there shoots you can do only with 11 mm? Not with 13mm?

Probably massettes are fantastic with thiner cue

Regards

icem3n

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do own snooker cues and it is not the right equipment to play 9 ball nor even 8 ball. How many Pros do you see playing pool successfully with snooker cue?
Smaller diameter cue like a snooker cue deflect like a 314 shaft. Slight off centre cueing will cause you to miss a shot.

Bridge length does makes alot of difference. To the op, try experimenting playing english with different bridge length.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Try different sizes and find what works best for you

I play all games with my carom cues, I don't have pool shafts

Thick European strong taper, 11 &11.5mm tips
Soft and medium, soft for small games carom
Medium for pool and 3c

I use every single area of the ball to apply English whenever it's needed and a good carom shaft does not deflect easily

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member

Cheers,
M
:thumbup:

same friend,
for me the move to small tip was a game changer, and it may or not be for the op,
but give it a shot is all im saying, hes already interested in it

why not

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
More slippery more higher deflection on bigger shaft.

Not forgetting how slippery like glass a 3 cushion table is.

And still the most precise game on the planet by far
They don't use tree trunk shafts
Try to reach the outter most extreme limits of the ball with a 13mm shaft,

Reminds me of Beavis
"Boioioioioioioing"

Last edited:

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And still the most precise game on the planet by far
They don't use tree trunk shafts
Try to reach the outter most extreme limits of the ball with a 13mm shaft,

I have the utmost respect for 3 cushion players. Usually they're also nice characters, much much more than any pool players.
Both Cauldron and Sanchez have demonstrated skills that just are beyond normal.

In case you (only) pool players haven't noticed - the game is changing. As such, it's time to change your equipment accordingly.
The cloth has started to get faster, so much more finesse already is possible and needed.
Cushions in new tables finally are worth being called a cushion and react as they're supposed to.
Tactical play now wins matches, not busting balls in.

If anybody has watched Ouschan in the last 2 years you can see that he's winning by finesse and even taking on and pocketing balls that have 1mm of tolerance (pocket obstructed, plants, etc...).
No regular player would be able to pocket these because you need extremely slow speed and you cannot bang them in.

That's also why he destroyed (yes, I'll use that word) the USA in the world cup of pool. van Boening was doing a regular saftey for the 1 behind the 9, to the cushion, and was happy with himself.
Ouschan didn't care, pocketed the 1 with a very defined, slow shot anlong the short rail.

I don't expect any of you to play 9mm like I do, or 10mm. I started it as an experiment to see exactly what would happen.
BTW, that obscure guy "Mark Grey" is playing with a hybrid pool/snooker cue with 10mm ash shaft, special black LD ferrule, canonical taper. Quite successfully I think?

So please try 12 or 11,75mm.
The Carom guys had LD before pool players were even thinking about that...
And if you still think pool is about 13mm and force then you might not haven opened your eyes. Even 9ball is more about manouvering than force. And if you use your cushions and the run of the ball properly just a hint of English will make the CB travel the whole table, not any force.

Cheers,
M

Last edited:

giulichajari

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the utmost respect for 3 cushion players. Usually they're also nice characters, much much more than any pool players.
Both Cauldron and Sanchez have demonstrated skills that just are beyond normal.

In case you (only) pool players haven't noticed - the game is changing. As such, it's time to change your equipment accordingly.
The cloth has started to get faster, so much more finesse already is possible and needed.
Cushions in new tables finally are worth being called a cushion and react as they're supposed to.
Tactical play now wins matches, not busting balls in.

If anybody has watched Ouschan in the last 2 years you can see that he's winning by finesse and even taking on and pocketing balls that have 1mm of tolerance (pocket obstructed, plants, etc...).
No regular player would be able to pocket these because you need extremely slow speed and you cannot bang them in.

That's also why he destroyed (yes, I'll use that word) the USA in the world cup of pool. van Boening was doing a regular saftey for the 1 behind the 9, to the cushion, and was happy with himself.
Ouschan didn't care, pocketed the 1 with a very defined, slow shot anlong the short rail.

I don't expect any of you to play 9mm like I do, or 10mm. I started it as an experiment to see exactly what would happen.
BTW, that obscure guy "Mark Grey" is playing with a hybrid pool/snooker cue with 10mm ash shaft, special black LD ferrule, canonical taper. Quite successfully I think?

So please try 12 or 11,75mm.
The Carom guys had LD before pool players were even thinking about that...
And if you still think pool is about 13mm and force then you might not haven opened your eyes. Even 9ball is more about manouvering than force. And if you use your cushions and the run of the ball properly just a hint of English will make the CB travel the whole table, not any force.

Cheers,
M
Thanks you again.

I'm from Argentina..we haven't a nice level je.. and the cue shop only sells 12.5 or 13 mm. And i don't know what requirments are to import directly from USA.
I will call to Buenos Aires for a reseller.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Thanks you again.

I'm from Argentina..we haven't a nice level je.. and the cue shop only sells 12.5 or 13 mm. And i don't know what requirments are to import directly from USA.
I will call to Buenos Aires for a reseller.

argentina has alot of carom players

i dont know how close you are but if your close to buenos aires check out the club
los 36 bilares

have many beautiful antique tables, and many carom players whom you can ask about the cues

https://www.facebook.com/Los36Billares/?fref=ts

giulichajari

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
argentina has alot of carom players

i dont know how close you are but if your close to buenos aires check out the club
los 36 bilares

have many beautiful antique tables, and many carom players whom you can ask about the cues

https://www.facebook.com/Los36Billares/?fref=ts
Does los 36 billares club sell new cue?
I was looking into poison cues for pool and the majority have 13 mm tip. I also called to Rosario reseller and he recommend me buying a carom cue and the using it for pool..is not a mistake.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Does los 36 billares club sell new cue?
I was looking into poison cues for pool and the majority have 13 mm tip. I also called to Rosario reseller and he recommend me buying a carom cue and the using it for pool..is not a mistake.

They might, i know of plenty of pool clubs that sell cues

you being in the same country should be easy to call and ask them
carom shafts just do everything right for some of us, but try one before you buy, if you can

Last edited:

giulichajari

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They might, i know of plenty of pool clubs that sell cues

you being in the same country should be easy to call and ask them
carom shafts just do everything right for some of us, but try one before you buy, if you can
Ok.
my fingers are short. So 12 mm or thiner is better.
Is possible to torn the shaft and made it thinner?

giulichajari

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And i enter in poison and predator official web pages. And all cues clasified as pool cues are not thiner than 12.5.
Instead caroom cues are 12 mm or thiner.
Also there are cues that you can select its shaft. Pool shaft or caroom shaft. Obviously the second thiner than first.
But the sellers dont know what game you will play. but why are clasified like that?