want to staple cloth down instead of glue

fiftyyardline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Re your pocket size - the standard and correct method( per diamond) to measure the corner pocket is from point ( where the cushion changes direction to angle into the pocket) to point. As you showed, you can use two balls(4.5 inches), but the actual centers of the balls is slightly under the cushion. Judging from what you showed, your pockets are at least 4.5” (pro cut), and maybe a little bigger. If you seriously want to become a better player, do not make the pockets bigger. Your pocket size is not too small - playing on bigger pockets will encourage sloppy ball pocketing. As was previously suggested, spend more time trying to hit center pocket.

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
Re your pocket size - the standard and correct method( per diamond) to measure the corner pocket is from point ( where the cushion changes direction to angle into the pocket) to point. As you showed, you can use two balls(4.5 inches), but the actual centers of the balls is slightly under the cushion. Judging from what you showed, your pockets are at least 4.5” (pro cut), and maybe a little bigger. If you seriously want to become a better player, do not make the pockets bigger. Your pocket size is not too small - playing on bigger pockets will encourage sloppy ball pocketing. As was previously suggested, spend more time trying to hit center pocket.

Tight pockets force discipline. Not everyone needs physical limitations in order to learn discipline. Tight pockets will eliminate a large number of potential shots, which could be made on a larger pocket.

Also keep in mind, not everyone wants to be a world beater. Some simply enjoy playing the game, and just want to make balls.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Tight pockets force discipline. Not everyone needs physical limitations in order to learn discipline. Tight pockets will eliminate a large number of potential shots, which could be made on a larger pocket.

Also keep in mind, not everyone wants to be a world beater. Some simply enjoy playing the game, and just want to make balls.

Tight pockets don’t promote a better game from a learning player, seasoned sure. Bigger pockets teach you layers to move the balls in a more professional manner.....the moves mean more in the long run

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tight pockets don’t promote a better game from a learning player, seasoned sure. Bigger pockets teach you layers to move the balls in a more professional manner.....the moves mean more in the long run

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I would agree with this. Tight pockets also limit the stroke and the game as a whole.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

fiftyyardline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Maybe we need a definition of a “tight pocket”. For me, anything less than 4.5” (pro-cut) is too tight and not necessary- and as several have stated - it limits position play by cheating or using all of a pocket. But the OP appears to have pockets larger than 4.5” - probably close to 4.75” - so IMO making them bigger will in effect reward sloppy stroke mechanics.

Qaddiction

User name says it all...
Silver Member
Any suggestions on how to open those pockets a little ?

THEY KICK BALLS OUT LIKE CRAZY

It may not be the size of your pockets that you are having troubles with. It's probably the 143 degree (guessing) pocket angles that are kicking the balls out.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
It may not be the size of your pockets that you are having troubles with. It's probably the 143 degree (guessing) pocket angles that are kicking the balls out.

I’m at Bca trade show....spoke with the wife of one of the founders of olhausen...nice lady.....I’ll go chat her up ask her and her son why they let their pockets spit their food out like that

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk