Who is the best instructor in the US?

raven5000

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who is the best instructor in the US? Easiest to understand and make the game as simple as possible? Whos the most popular right now? Ive taken some lessons and their ok. But i need somone whos good at explaining, teaching? A great player can be a so so teacher. Any help greatly appreciated! 😀👍

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jerry, Randy and Scott. Good at explaining? People learn by seeing, hearing, writing, doing and or a combination of some or all of the above. A good instructor uses all the methods, then centers the instruction to how the student best learns.

This is not as simple as it sounds and that's why a top pro in any subject may not be able to teach. Conversely a top instructor may not be the best player in the room.

There are also some people who know how to teach pool but are so focused on making money that they end up being crappy teachers.

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would second that. Your comments and names are exactly what I believe.

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
Any of the three mentioned above will be a great choice. What area of the country do you live in?

Steve

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
raven5000...Tom Seymour is your man. He teaches out of Family Billiards in SF. Contact him at www.beginnersmindpool.com. Excellent communication skills, and knows his subject. He posts here as joepool. Tom is a superior instructor capable of teaching all skill levels, and is a master-level player. :thumbup: Or, if you want to meet up with me somewhere, PM me.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I live in san francisco

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
raven5000...Tom Seymour is your man. He teaches out of Family Billiards in SF. Contact him at www.beginnersmindpool.com. Excellent communication skills, and knows his subject. He posts here as joepool. Tom is a superior instructor capable of teaching all skill levels, and is a master-level player. :thumbup: Or, if you want to meet up with me somewhere, PM me.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

If Scott says someone is good...they are good. If you ever have the opportunity to have Scott work with you it's a great experience. He is as good as it gets.

Last edited:

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
Until one has studied with many Instructors, it would be impossible to choose the best, if there is one.

randyg

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Until one has studied with many Instructors, it would be impossible to choose the best, if there is one.

randyg

Scott thinks you are. I had a few in the past 20 years. Scott is the best in my book.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

randyg

And what anyone needs is a good instructor. Only Ego requires "the best!" Not that there even IS one, since instruction depends largely on the connection between the instructor and the student and people have personalities and it isn't a one-size-fits-all-world.

Same applies to "the best" pool cue, "the best" pool table, and "the best" almost anything else.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Robin Dreyer, Portland, Oregon. His book will come out someday after he's done teaching and the world will know... Teaches full time at his house and has for 20+ years. Doesn't use anybody's aiming system but knows them all, doesn't use anyone's kicking system because he has his own. His own drills, patterns, rack kicks, safeties, etc. etc. Totally a thinker and original. www.robindreyer.ppb@gmail.com

Last edited:

frankw

Semi Retired Bodybuilder
Silver Member
I'll go +1 for Tom Seymour, met him on a couple of occasions. Very knowledgeable and a great guy.
I think he'll be able to get you where you need to be

Logandgriff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jerry Briesath

I haven't worked with anyone but Jerry but I think he must be the best. Ask Jeanette Lee and many thousands of others! See gave kudos to Jerry in her Hall of Fame acceptance speech.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
Who is the best instructor in the US? Easiest to understand and make the game as simple as possible? Whos the most popular right now? Ive taken some lessons and their ok. But i need somone whos good at explaining, teaching? A great player can be a so so teacher. Any help greatly appreciated! ����

I have an Idea. Why doesn't "Billiard Digest" go out and rank the pool teachers the way "Golf Digest" does golf teachers. It's high time these guys in this sport get the recognition they deserve. Ask their students, interview them, take a look at their drill handouts, what, if any, aiming system(s) do they teach, etc. etc.? Would be easy to come up with a criteria to rank them. The top 10 will be raising their rates... wait, never mind. :wink: If that were to happen, Robin Dryer will be right up there among the best.

Last edited:

pudgie100

Registered
I just did a small group clinic with Mark Wilson, this past weekend. Someone asked him who he would recommend, if they lived in a different part of the country. This is what Mark said, Jerry Briesath, Scott Lee, Allison Fisher there were a few more but I don't remember.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've hired at least 6 instructors 40 some odd years.
Some I've asked back for tuneups. A couple I wanted to dig deeper into certain topics they specialize in. Each one had a gem or 6 and each gem was well worth the entire time and $$ money commitment.

This list is not exhaustive and the benefits I note isn't to say that each one couldn't have accomplished all of them. The top guys certainly know of this stuff. I was either not listening or the topic/conversation went somewhere else. There's only so much that can be covered in 3-8hours.

Sam Elizer - Got me hooked on 3C
Harry Sims - Hooked me again after quitting the game. Fundamentals, Systems, Systems Adjustments.
Mark Wilson - Great Fundamental Lesson corrected/adjusted several things (never took lesson 2, unfortunately)
Scott Lee - Got me serious about PSR, Eye Patterns, Mother Drills......
Joe Villalpando - Predictable/Calculated Spins & increased my interest in clocking.
Lee Brett - Precision Alignment, sighting and walking the table.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
I've hired at least 6 instructors 40 some odd years.
Some I've asked back for tuneups. A couple I wanted to dig deeper into certain topics they specialize in. Each one had a gem or 6 and each gem was well worth the entire time and $$ money commitment.

This list is not exhaustive and the benefits I note isn't to say that each one couldn't have accomplished all of them. The top guys certainly know of this stuff. I was either not listening or the topic/conversation went somewhere else. There's only so much that can be covered in 3-8hours.

Sam Elizer - Got me hooked on 3C
Harry Sims - Hooked me again after quitting the game. Fundamentals, Systems, Systems Adjustments.
Mark Wilson - Great Fundamental Lesson corrected/adjusted several things (never took lesson 2, unfortunately)
Scott Lee - Got me serious about PSR, Eye Patterns, Mother Drills......
Joe Villalpando - Predictable/Calculated Spins & increased my interest in clocking.
Lee Brett - Precision Alignment, sighting and walking the table.

I don't know where you live but I'd like to suggest you fly into Portland and maybe have the best pool lesson you've taken so far. Robin Dreyer. Here is a man that was born to teach pool. Sure, he's played the game at all levels but for the last 20 years he's taught the game full time out of his house. He has a 7' table and a 9' table at his house and won't have to meet you at some dark pool hall downtown. I think you will find his teaching rates very inviting because he's not well known (yet). He's compiling some amazing stuff that he shares with his students and stuff that won't be made pubic until he quits teaching and his book comes out. Ever hear of the books; "Billiard Atlas"? the 'go to' books for billiard players. Robin has boiled down these four books into somethings so simple, the pool world will be amazed. I would love to share what he's shared with me but I can't go into it as it is all proprietary.
Robin has his own drills, patterns, banking, rail systems, safety play, programs his own stat collection programs for aiming, safeties, competition, etc. etc. Nothing copied from anyone else. I am trying hard to share this secret with the pool playing public because he easily deserves to be in the top ten of pool instructors.
Here is his web site; WWW.robindreyer.com phone number is there. You can always PM me for more information.