Question About Spotting Balls??

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
A scenario was given to me today and I wasn't 100% sure about the answer to the end result. Here it is.....A player is shooting to make the one ball and successfully pockets the one. The cue ball is knocked into the six ball and knocks the six ball off of the table onto the floor. What is the final result that should happen in this situation?

I was thinking the one ball was to be left in the pocket and the six ball pocketed or spotted and ball in hand for your opponent. Maybe the six ball is pocketed? What is the proper way of handling this situation?

weakfingers

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In nine ball, I've always played it so that it's ball in hand for the opposing player, and the ball stays down. The only exception is on the 9 ball, then it would get spotted and the opposing player would get ball in hand.

PGHteacher

John Fischer
Silver Member
FOUL!: Both balls stay down BIH for the next shooter. If it's the 9ball that leaves the table, spot it; still BIH for the incoming shooter. Here is the applicable rule(s)

2.6 Spotting Balls

If the nine ball is pocketed on a foul or push out, or driven off the table, it is spotted. (See 1.4 Spotting Balls.) No other object ball is ever spotted.

2.7 Standard Fouls

If the shooter commits a standard foul, play passes to his opponent. The cue ball is in hand, and the incoming player may place it anywhere on the playing surface. (See 1.5 Cue Ball in Hand.) The following are standard fouls at nine ball:

6.1 Cue Ball Scratch or off the Table
6.2 Wrong Ball First; The first object ball contacted by the cue ball on each shot must be the lowest-numbered ball remaining on the table.
6.3 No Rail after Contact
6.4 No Foot on Floor
6.5 Ball Driven off the Table; The only jumped object ball that is spotted is the nine. 6.6 Touched Ball
6.7 Double Hit / Frozen Balls
6.8 Push Shot
6.9 Balls Still Moving
6.10 Bad Cue Ball Placement
6.12 Cue Stick on the Table
6.13 Playing out of Turn
6.15 Slow Play

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
FOUL!: Both balls stay down BIH for the next shooter. If it's the 9ball that leaves the table, spot it; still BIH for the incoming shooter. Here is the applicable rule(s)

2.6 Spotting Balls

If the nine ball is pocketed on a foul or push out, or driven off the table, it is spotted. (See 1.4 Spotting Balls.) No other object ball is ever spotted.

2.7 Standard Fouls

If the shooter commits a standard foul, play passes to his opponent. The cue ball is in hand, and the incoming player may place it anywhere on the playing surface. (See 1.5 Cue Ball in Hand.) The following are standard fouls at nine ball:

6.1 Cue Ball Scratch or off the Table
6.2 Wrong Ball First; The first object ball contacted by the cue ball on each shot must be the lowest-numbered ball remaining on the table.
6.3 No Rail after Contact
6.4 No Foot on Floor
6.5 Ball Driven off the Table; The only jumped object ball that is spotted is the nine. 6.6 Touched Ball
6.7 Double Hit / Frozen Balls
6.8 Push Shot
6.9 Balls Still Moving
6.10 Bad Cue Ball Placement
6.12 Cue Stick on the Table
6.13 Playing out of Turn
6.15 Slow Play

Thanks for that reference. The rules I looked at didn't have "No other ball is ever spotted". I knew the 9 or 8 would be spotted.