black cloth

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Time to recover my simonis 860 and thinking of black cloth. Does anyone have
it on their table and how do you like it. Don't like blue or green. Maybe a real dark blue but would like feedback on black.
Thanks
Any dark color (dark blue, dark green or especially black) are strongly not recommended for serious pool playing. The biggest issues are how badly the burn marks will show up the darker the cloth gets. Burn marks are a natural unavoidable wear and tear issue with normal pool play that occurs on all pool cloths. The darker the cloth color is, the worse the burn marks show up.

The other huge reason dark colors are not recommended for serious pool playing is that the balls and the playing surface just simply don't show up well for the shooter. Even if you have excellent and ideal high quality LED lighting over your table, the balls will always show up better the lighter the cloth is. Most home tables and even most poolrooms have far from ideal lighting - another reason you need a lighter, brighter cloth color.

The third thing to consider - black cloth means you'll be using black chalk - so that the chalk marks won't discolor your cloth - which will blacken your pool shafts and your hands every time you play! Is that what you really want just to have a cloth color that you think will look on your table / in your room?

Last edited:

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have played on black and really hated it, also once played at Northern Illinois Univ. and they had the tables in the school colors which are red and black, either red rails and black table or vice versa. Not very good.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
do not use black or red........... horrible ........... use the light blue or the standard green

Kim

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cessna, IMO bite the bullet and put some Tourney Blue 860 cloth on...
once it's done and looking great, you'll be glad you went that route!:cool:

poolandpokerman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had tan/camel on all my home tables, looks great and you don't get the ugly chalk all over your hands, at least you can't see the chalk on your hands.
Tom

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sacrilege!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0485.JPG
    IMG_0485.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 168

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had tan/camel on all my home tables, looks great and you don't get the ugly chalk all over your hands, at least you can't see the chalk on your hands.
Tom
We used tan/camel Simonis in our pool room here once. I love the color for playing on, but it is no longer practical for a public poolroom to use - since so many players now use their own personal chalk - almost always blue. Blue chalk marks tend to leave permanent blue chalk stains in the camel colored Simonis, which is why we will never again use it here - although it's one of the absolute best colors to play on and no question hides the burn marks far better than any other color cloth we've ever used.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Have played on black and really hated it, also once played at Northern Illinois Univ. and they had the tables in the school colors which are red and black, either red rails and black table or vice versa. Not very good.

Yep, red tables and black rails. Not good. But, being only in my 20s I didn't know any better, and the price was right and it was better than going to class ;) lol

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
do not use black or red........... horrible ........... use the light blue or the standard green

Kim

I think that Blue, aka Royal Blue is fine too; but Not Navy Blue, or Midnight Blue. Those really dark blues begin to approach the black spectrum.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Given a photograph of a pool table in situ I could probably change its existing cloth’s colour in Photoshop to several different variations so one could ‘try before you buy’ so to speak.

I wonder if there would be a demand for that?

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since the OP already said he didn’t want green or blue cloth.....

Don’t worry one second about chalk marks (or any burn marks from the cue balls) on the Simonis 860 Mocha cloth.... because Masters brown chalk is a PERFECT match and you will never have an issue. I ask everyone that plays on my table to use my Masters brown and have yet to have anyone bat an eye.

Then again, I have a great collection of unique, premium spirits with an open bar policy as well

~ K.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I ask everyone that plays on my table to use my Masters brown and have yet to have anyone bat an eye.

Then again, I have a great collection of unique, premium spirits with an open bar policy as well

~ K.

Is the spirits for the cloth or the players???

Maniac (or both? :thumbup:)

edep12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since the OP already said he didn’t want green or blue cloth.....

Don’t worry one second about chalk marks (or any burn marks from the cue balls) on the Simonis 860 Mocha cloth.... because Masters brown chalk is a PERFECT match and you will never have an issue. I ask everyone that plays on my table to use my Masters brown and have yet to have anyone bat an eye.

~ K.

I have Camel Simonis on my table and LOVE it. Great to play on and has the built in benefit of keeping your cues clean. I use tan chalk exclusively and it keeps your shafts from turning blue and looking grimy.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Given a photograph of a pool table in situ I could probably change its existing cloth’s colour in Photoshop to several different variations so one could ‘try before you buy’ so to speak.

I wonder if there would be a demand for that?

A great idea.....maybe you could be sponsored by cloth companies.