Thoughts on pool ,life and 5 inch pockets

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
thanks for the pictures this is the table that doesn't match

i am so stupid i thought it was beautiful,i still do

i have no idea what he is talking about, do you guys see it?

I have owned several of these and I don't know what he is talking about

I went in the other room to look and still can not tell

Several players have come by and said nothing to me

but if you will carefully read my thread,I am talking about several things 5 inch pockets is something I have spoken about for years only to have table people talk me out of them,now i got what i like

Notice that this thread is not about selling a table

For some reason Trent from Ohio is ragging me and others

He is not someone I will ever do business with

Glasses, yeah, you might wanna get some. In the picture you can see one leg is not the same color as the other and the rails are not the same color as EITHER of the legs. Lets see pics of the stamp in the veneer in the top center of each leg?? Not raggin on you or anyone else, you started the name calling. I have been totally civil and all I did was ask some questions. We were never going to do any business.... There are plenty of AZB'ers that have done business with me and are happy :)

This is a member forum, I follow the rules and I will say whatever I want, so long as it is with in those rules. There is also this thing called the 1st amendment. "your thread" hahahaha. Pool tables are my business and when I see BS that affects my business I am going to say something, I dont care who you think you are. $15k , what a joke.

Trent from Toledo

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Weren't most of the champions from the 70's and 80's playing on big pockets, Kasson tables, Gandy's, Imperial's, Connelley, etc.., and yet everybody says those guys could beat the current day player's, so does the pocket size really matter?

Most Champions played like the rest of us, they traveled around to different pool halls with different tables and all different sizes and cuts of pocket. But everyone knows, back then, a tight Gold Crown was king.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
As a matter of public record he has 4 positive feed backs

I have 259

Does he sound like the kinda guy you would like to buy from?

If he gets this mad because I like 5 inch pockets,how do you think he
would respond if you didn't like his work

AHAHAHAHAHA. I dont care how many cues you upsold on here. I see how you operate and cuemakers are fine with you ordering in bulk and then upselling their work.

Dont try and down play my business or me. My client list is Nationwide and they are all HAPPY. My book of work can be seen by anyone, yup every single restoration right here:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/toledopooltables/photos/?tab=albums&ref=page_internal

I never said I was mad about your inability to play on a tight table. I was nice until you started the name calling. :thumbup:

Trent from Toledo

This card also says something about me and my business, they dont just hand these out to anyone :)

Attachments

• 58571073_10219216577988219_7611428466583404544_o.jpg
    58571073_10219216577988219_7611428466583404544_o.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dang guys i'm about out of popcorn and bourbon. I need to make a run so i don't miss the next episode of this. ;)

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Dang guys i'm about out of popcorn and bourbon. I need to make a run so i don't miss the next episode of this. ;)

LOL. Don't be drinkin an driving!! BOURB (pronounced BURB)! We used to say that back in my in drinkin dayz!Take a sip,. BURB, laugh and carry on.

I said all I have to say. It was not fun, but, he went there and I said what I was really thinking. I tried to be nice :)

Trent from Toledo

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL. Don't be drinkin an driving!! BOURB (pronounced BURB)! We used to say that back in my in drinkin dayz!

I said all I have to say. It was not fun, but, he went there and I said what I was really thinking. I tried to be nice :)

Trent from Toledo
I hear ya bro. I live in the "call 'em like i see 'em" camp as well.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I grew up ‘banging’ on large-pocket/slow-cloth tables, and as a result, I have always had a problem holding back my stroke. Since you can do so many more showy tricks shooting at ‘buckets’ (and running whitey all round), you can have trouble ‘unlearning’ bad habits that just won’t play on tighter/faster tables. I ordered the larger pockets (to encourage high runs) when I bought my home Diamond 9’, and don’t really regret it, but still, every time I ‘bobble’ an overhit shot (that would have gone at home) when playing out on a 4 1/2 “ pro table, I want to kick myself!

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dan,I see your point

When I was playing some serious one pocket and the pockets were tight

I held off playing on a 5 inch pocket

The reason I ordered 5 inch now is because I am trying to give up the pool
room activity and practicing on my Gold Crown 5 was not much fun.

I found the practice tedious,actually all I did was try to run balls at 14;1
the more i played the worse I got,and the problem just reduced my interest

I am told that bigger pockets are preferred by straight pool players,
Not just Schmidt trying to break the record,but by most good straight pool players.

If I were going to play high dollar pool and it had to be on 4.5 or smaller pockets
I doubt if I would keep practicing on 5 inch.
However that was exactly what Wimpy did when he was the best 9 ball player in the world.

to be more exact he practiced on looser equipment,I don't know the exact size,but Gold Crowns were 5 or so back then

One time Billy incardone opened Diamonds Pool Room in Dallas with tight fast short banking diamonds

He explained how it would benefit a mover like me by taking away speed from better players
on paper I agreed or at least did not put up any resistance to his argument

After 2 trips I quit playing pool altogether,I hated the diamonds and the new game.

When I told billy why,I explained why I was going to buy 5 inch ,he listened and agreed that
I should play to my strengths what ever they were

In baseball you water the grass in front of home plate if you play a small ball,bunt run game.
If your opponent favors that game you mow the grass for a legal home field advantage

best wishes

Last edited:

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dan,I see your point

When I was playing some seious one pocket and the pockets were tight

I held off playing on a 5 inch pocket

The reason I ordered 5 inch now is because I am trying to give up the pool
room activity and practicing on my Gold Crown 5 was not much fun.

I found the practice tedious,actually all I did was ry to run balls at 14;1
the more i played the worse I got,and the problem just reduced my interest

I am told that bigger pockets are preferred by straight pool players,
Not just Schmidt trying to break the record,but by most good straight pool players.

If I were going to play high dollar pool and it had to be on 4.5 or smaller pockets
I doubt if I would keep practicing on 5 inch.
However that was exactly what Wimpy did when he was the best 9 ball player in the world.

to be more exact he practiced on looser equipment,I don't know the exact size,but Gold Crowns were 5 or so back then

The funny thing to me about 4 1/2" pockets is that they get to dictate how I play. They tell me what goes and what doesn't. On a 5" pocket, I get to play any way I want to...either side of the pocket, fast or slow, hard or soft. There's just more room for me to play the way I want. Ain't no table gonna be the boss of me.

Pockets are pockets, nothing more. If you are practicing, that's one thing. If you are playing for money, you and your opponent are playing under the EXACT same conditions. The pockets don't give a $hit who wins.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dangit it folks. I'm on the Warrior River just outside Birmingham Alabama. Y'all are funny folks and I can't ring 3 balls but I gamble! lol

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
5" pockets = Playing from the yellow tee box.

You must be a champion. I'll take the green ball. ;)

There are different teeing areas which are marked by different colour tee boxes on a course.
Competition tees (white)
men's tees (yellow)
women's tees (red)
some clubs are introducing blue tees for veterans and juniors.
The white tees are usually the furthest from the hole and the blue tees the nearest.

I need to play from the Blue tees.
Does that mean I need 5-1/2” Pockets?

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
HAHAHHAHAHA. Dean, you are a funny old man. You edited all your posts. I am not going to. You stirred the pot and got what you asked for.
Have a great night :)

Trent from Toledo:thumbup:

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my golf has deteriorated to the point where i get no enjoyment

last time i took my grandson out i lasted only 5 holes with a cart,and could not hit the ball solidly

i was still shooting close to par not too many years ago,then i lost distance hitting the 5 iron 150 yards,
now the driver went to that so i am calling it quits

when PT109 said the best man still wins,it doesn't apply to me,I am playing all by myself
when Jack gets to town we play one pocket because he never got into it,he gave me the
orange crush and robbed me when i was playing my best

even when he visits we seldom play against each other,neitherone of us
ever were fun players.

think about poker for a second,how many people wouldplay if there was no gambling?

To us pool is the same,true I am not getting out to gamble but I do enjoy trying to run 50 balls of 14:1

Trying is the key word,I haven't gotten close

Last edited:

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Dean, I think it's great that 5 inch pockets let you enjoy the game more. Enjoyment is what this game is all about! I think straight pool especially is better played on more forgiving equipment, it's about creativity and running the balls right, more than straight shooting. Who cares how tight the table is, if a person can't ever put 2 or 3 racks together because shots keep bobbling in the pocket? It makes the game a boring chore for all but the hardcore players.

I play all pool games, and for the last years I've been playing mostly the "tight pocket games", namely Chinese 8 ball, Blackball and snooker. Competitively, the pockets being tighter would be to my advantage as it plays to my strenghts. That being said, I think the developments in pool recently is a big mistake! It's one thing what the pros play on, but amateurs should not be playing on tiny pockets. It's bad for recruitment and it's bad for enjoyment for the vast majority. My poolhall tightned all the pockets and lost a lot of customers over it especiall casual customers, and many of the C-players don't play as much, anymore. C-players and B-players is the "body" of pool players, if they're not playing, the owners are not getting paid! I'm getting really lonely on the Chinese 8 ball table, btw. Even the good players have problems running out, so they don't give the game a chance. I'm maybe more of a glutton for punishment, lol.

Sure, many of the people on here are extremely good players who maybe want to brag a bit, or genuinly believe they are going to take down the US-Open some day. Others are table mechanics, making a living from tightening pockets. There is nothing wrong with either of those things, but don't confuse that with what's best for enjoyment of the game. They tightned many tables in your great country, but what happened? Everyone started playing on bar boxes, because people want to enjoy themselves and maybe run a rack now and then! Not only that, but they want to be able to stroke the ball along the rail now and then. Stroke shots are part of pools identity as a game.

When the table gets smaller, pocket size makes less of a difference. I know, I play blackball. Those pockets are brutally tight, but it's not really a big shooters game anyway, because the table is so small. Good poolplayers can still run out on them pretty easily, but they more often get snookered from playing bad position or play the wrong shots, than outright missing shots. And the pros still win the tournaments, btw.

Last edited:

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dean,

See if this sounds right.

Every now and then, you'll find a guy that'll argue with you about anything. Sometimes he'll even butt into a conversation just to start an argument. Guys like that are real suckers. If you play 'em for a while, it just pisses 'em off worse. But the best part is when you hook 'em. Once they're hooked, they get real cocky. Independent as a hog on ice. But when they're hooked, you've got 'em by the balls on a down hill pull. You own 'em. They'll follow you around like a three legged dog.

Guys like that are real losers. But what am I telling you for? You're the pro. Yep, The Pro From Dover. Have fun, Brother. You meet the nicest people in the fairway.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
UM, no. 143 would be a WIDER angle or rather more open degree of angle from the mouth towards the throat of the pocket.

trent

p.s. this picture will help you i think and also is for Jay Helfert!

Does anyone else have a problem understanding this measurement? I could tell better what is being measured if I could see the pocket in relation to the table.